Opinion: Best Sounding Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2004, 05:17 AM
moose94
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Opinion: Best Sounding Exhaust

Whether you guys like glasspacks or just mufflers...or maybe you don't like both and you like straight pipes. Give us your opinion on the best sounding tone.

Personally for me I don't like rasp and backfire noise. My super turbo's have a deep rumble and a girgle at idle. I think if I was going to get a glasspack it would be the purple hornie just because they are louvered and they sound nice. What is your preference?

(oh and if anyone has sound clips post a link or something! Here's mine: http://www.i-silent1.com/temp/moose94/ )

Old 12-03-2004, 09:47 AM
Saurian
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Straight pipes if you have catalytic converters. Glasspacks if you don't have cat's, and don't mind the intensity.

That said, if my glasspacks end up being TOO loud and get me really eyed by the local cops, I will probably end up switching to a Super Turbo muffler. My uncle has them on his 350 Tahoe with Cat's and it sounds deadly....so...

Very nice sounding truck, btw.

I get my exhaust done (2.25" pipes, 24" glasspacks, 4x22" Tips) on Teusday while I'm in school..so...YEAH! Wait till I have MY exhaust clips...

Old 12-08-2004, 01:40 PM
AntiGrav118
Junior User
my favorite exhaust i can remember hearing is the high flow cats/ original 40's combo on my buddies dodge ram- crappy truck, but it sounds nice

not a big fan of glass packs

Old 12-08-2004, 04:01 PM
moose94
Posting Guru
Well I think I might go the purple hornie route cause these super turbo's are too quiet. They bark at high rpm's but I just want to have more sound. I'll see what it's like when I get the headers on. My thinking is it'll still be too quiet for me.

I heard a truck today while working in the city. I was inside and the door was closed. This dodge ram rolled up, idle just as loud as can be. He turned the corner, came onto her and I turned just because I do that for every v8 I hear. Anyways it sounded like a glasspack maybe with headers. I am also wondering do all glasspacks sound the same thru out the rpm range? Like I don't like the sound of my buddies cherry bombs, just because it sounds the same all the way thru. I want a nice idle and a sweet roar when I drive it. I don't drive it hard all the time, I just want to hear it more than what I do.

I think purple hornies would be my best option cause they are louvered and have a good tone. What other glasspacks are louvered?

Old 12-08-2004, 08:58 PM
Saurian
Posting Guru
Mine have the perforated tube through the center.

I have a pair of resonance spikes through my rpm range. from like 2000-2500 it resonates, then again close to redline it starts to really resonate the cab. Not too annoying, really, even at 65 when I'm about 2300 rpm's on the road. Turn the radio up 1/4 of the way and you don't notice it, adn can still talk to my friend. It also changes tones throughout. WOT and high (3500-redline) it's just a big roar, and below that is slowly changes from "engine" sound to starting to come alive. I think 3000-3500 is when the stock cam in my truck kicks in.

Aaron..my exhaust guy said he wouldn't do my header's. He's afraid of breaking off a manifold bolt. Sucks man...guess I'll have to find someplace else. I want my BBK chromed equal length tuner shorties! And my chip...4" lift...33" tires...15x10 modular wheels...

Old 12-09-2004, 05:42 AM
moose94
Posting Guru
Ya my truck is like yours. It comes alive at 2500 rpm. I can usually bring it up to there and only hear engine noise, I don't like that. I want to hear my truck at low rpms too.

I really don't get what the big deal about flowmasters is. I mean they aren't even that good sounding. Kinda sounds like your squeezing a cat or something. There's alot of raspiness, but I guess you'll know when you hear it. I don't like them personally, but most people do.

How long do glasspacks last for? For example purple hornies. And them being louvered does that help? Are they better than red hots?

Old 12-09-2004, 04:00 PM
ford5.8
More Turbo
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
My favorite on a new pickup is a 98+ stright piped ford,chevy or dodge...They all sound so cool with just cats..

Old 12-09-2004, 04:01 PM
moose94
Posting Guru
ford 5.8, what do you have for exhaust?

Old 12-09-2004, 04:23 PM
Saurian
Posting Guru
I can't imagine a glasspack going more then 2-3 years before being blown out. Louvers Vs Perf. tube I can't see making much difference either. A Flowmaster will cost you 100 bucks and go for 10 years. A glasspack will cost you 25 bucks and last you 3 years. It equals out, I guess.

You want to get a glasspack with an aluminized case so that you won't run into the glasspack actually rusting through on you.

Old 12-10-2004, 04:00 PM
ford5.8
More Turbo
Originally Posted by moose94
ford 5.8, what do you have for exhaust?

My 96 F150 has a highflow 2nd cat that is Y off into 2.25 duals out 3.5x18 SS tips angled 45 degrees behind the rear tires" no muffler",it sounds pretty sweet but its not as loud as I would like,it sounds almost stock when cruising down the road but makes a deep throaty rumble taking off..I thinking about just putting one highflow on and thats it..Not sure what that would sound like though?.

Old 12-10-2004, 09:58 PM
moose94
Posting Guru
probably alot better. Mine is too quite too.

Old 12-11-2004, 08:55 AM
moose94
Posting Guru
What makes dodge's have such a sweet exhaust note? Seems like whenever you hear a dodge they sound so nice. Must be the mufflers. What else could it be?

Old 12-11-2004, 06:10 PM
ford5.8
More Turbo
It must be the way dodges motors are built that gives them a wicked tone,the guy at the exhaust shop said my pickup would never sound like a dodge but he didnt really know why..

Old 12-13-2004, 06:58 PM
warrencowboy05
Senior User
Originally Posted by Saurian
I can't imagine a glasspack going more then 2-3 years before being blown out. Louvers Vs Perf. tube I can't see making much difference either. A Flowmaster will cost you 100 bucks and go for 10 years. A glasspack will cost you 25 bucks and last you 3 years. It equals out, I guess.

You want to get a glasspack with an aluminized case so that you won't run into the glasspack actually rusting through on you.
hey, saurian how'd much did your exhaust cost ya? i'm really lookin into gettin some exhaust for my truck and your system seems good. another question, sorry if it seems dumb but im 17 and just kinda getting into this but with out any cats, can your truck pass emissions? i know there are tests here in illinois but i dont know how strict they are. and will your set up work on my truck (which has dual tanks)? thanks a bunch!

Old 12-13-2004, 10:26 PM
SMiller
Elder User
It really all depends on the car\truck. My Super Duty I have now has no cat and a 40series Flowmaster, I flared the muffler to 3 1\4in. in and had both of the outlets flared to 3in. it is dual 3in. out behind each rear wheel. This is by far the best sounding 5.4 I have ever heard. Now if I had a Y-pipe instead of a Flowmaster it would be way to loud and kinda crappy sounding, on my old in-line 300 I had a single 3in. strait pipe off the manifold with no cats or muffler exiting behind the right rear tire, it sounded like a Cummins with a strait pipe or a stack, too cool! Now if I had a muffler on this truck it wouldn't have sounded near as good, it just all depends on the car or truck as to what exhaust sounds best, if you gave me 5 differn't trucks to put exhaust on you would probally get 5 differn't exhaust... every truck needs something differn't.

Quick Reply: Opinion: Best Sounding Exhaust