2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removal of factory cd radio

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2004, 05:43 PM
nascaptain99
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Removal of factory cd radio

hey can one tell me how to remove a single cd radio from a 2004 f-150. im up grading to a 6 disc radio player. do i need any special tools.

Old 12-01-2004, 05:54 PM
jperea
Senior User
No special tools. The fitment that surrounds your stereo snaps off toward you. Cover a small screwdriver with some cloth and pry it out carefully. after you remove it. The stereo has 4 bolts that can be removed with a #2 phillips head or a hex socket. Remove the factory plug and the antenna and it's out. Depending on the radio your upgrading to, you may need an adapter kit. Available at any local stereo store. If its a ford radio, install is reverse of removal. Good luck. JP

Old 12-01-2004, 05:55 PM
jperea
Senior User
Oh yea, one other thing. Those instructions are if you have the flow-thru console with a floor shifter. Not sure of removal on other models. JP

Old 12-02-2004, 12:08 AM
ChrisAdams
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you have a column shift model, removing the radio is a snap. Pop open the drink holder, reach under and up, and gently but firmly unsnap the surround piece. The cig lighter, climate control, stay with the surround. Have a couple of hand towels to use as scrape preventers when you pull the surround forward and let it dangle. It has eight very firm clips on it. they are sharp, and will cut you, or scrape something if they can. Use needle nose pliers to remove any of these white clips that stick in the dash after you pull the surround off. push them back on the surround before you press it back on. when putting it back, start with the top, and press in it. I use a bungie from the rear view mirror if I'm going to be working in the hole much. the surround hangs there nicely, leaving you enough room to remove the radio (4 screws, gently pull out the harness, and the antenna. note there is a black rubber nub on the back to center and support the radio. unscrew it if you have to transfer it.
pretty easy, except the clips are very firm the first time.
Chris

Old 12-08-2004, 03:07 PM
Firewiz
Senior User
Here's the colors...make sure u scroll down to the second page!

http://www.installdr.com/Harnesses/Ford-Wiring.pdf