1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

over cooling ranger

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2004, 06:43 PM
vulch
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
over cooling ranger

HI need help 89 2.3l flushed cooling syst changed thermastat. new antifreeze engine running for 15 min did not heat up very much pulled spark plugs out they were cool.should not be able to hold them there is spark it seams to run good 300.000 km on it no build up of pressure on any hoses tryed a differant rad cap not a new one antifreeze seams to foam abit after running awhile when the engine is raced the antifreeze seams to flow it gets sucked down in the rad Any ideas Thanks

Old 11-30-2004, 10:13 PM
2000sport4x4
Freshman User
I would check to make sure you have enough fluid in radiator.You mentioned it is getting sucked down...that sounds like system purging itself of air when it foams.

You sure your thermostat was good? not stuck open?

Old 12-01-2004, 06:06 AM
vulch
Freshman User
yes antifreeze is up to correct level boiled new thermastat before installing it

Old 12-01-2004, 08:52 AM
Bart99GT
Laughing Gas
Run the engine with the radiator cap off and let it reach operating temperature. When the thermostat opens, you'll see the coolant level drop. Top off the radiator with a water/coolant mix until it is just below the level of the overflow port in the filler neck. You may have to do this a few times before the system is completely purged of air. The fluid level should not drop too much when the engine is revved; if you can't see the fluid when revving the engine then the level is still too low.

Bart

Old 12-01-2004, 09:19 AM
pawpaw
Received 73 Likes on 71 Posts
Well, was it warming up ok before you did this service????

If so, then something you did incorrectly is causing your woes.

Is the coolant hot to the touch after 15 minutes of operation????

Just how cold was the air temperture during this 15 minutes of operation???

Assuming the temp wasn't sub zero deg F, I'd have to guess, with 2000Sport, that the thermostat is stuck open, or maybe installed incorrectly somehow.

If you have the heater on high, fan on high, sub zero temp, it wont heat up as fast as on a warmer day.

Had a Toyota once that I had to cover half the radiator on a -10F temp day, so it would fully warm up, when driven on the highway, with the heater on.

On the sucking the coolant down into the radiator & the foaming part, I again agree with 2000Sport, sounds like you may have a cooling system air lock somewhere.

When you replaced the thermostat, did you install it correctly (the coiled bimetalic spring toward the engine) & with the air vent hole up????

On the coolant refill, did it take the specified quantity of coolant???
If not, then you probably have an air pocket trapped some where.

Try, with the engine running, heater temp control fully rotated to the max (red) heat setting, park the truck on an incline, with the font end up & "milk/squeeze" the top radiator hose to help burp/purge the system of air. Keep a check on the radiator coolant level.

With the thermostat installed & operating properly, air purged from the system, things should settle down.

Let us know what you find.

Old 12-01-2004, 10:06 AM
ronclark
Elder User
What temp thermostat did you install.

Old 12-01-2004, 05:13 PM
vulch
Freshman User
Thanks for replys the outside air temp was minus 10 to 15 c no the antifreeze was not very hot maybe warm .i installed a 192 thermostat i have only had truck for 1 month havent driven it much still doing other work on it when i did drive it home it didnt warm up much then and it was warmer out than now .as for installing the thermostat i didnt know about a air vent hole .do they all have this ?can that cause a problem there seems to be a fair bit of moisture coming out the exhaust pipe drips on the ground wondering if there is a problem with head gasket thanks ..

Old 12-01-2004, 06:17 PM
pawpaw
Received 73 Likes on 71 Posts
The OEM thermostat has a ball air release valve in it's outer edge that must be facing in the up (twelve-oclock) position. This will help in getting air out of the system upon refilling.

Apparantly all 4.0L thermostats don't have the air release valve, as WVRanger just got one from Adance Autoparts that didn't have one. with all the problems the 4.0L is known to have with cooling system noises, ect, I opted for a OEM Motorcraft thermostat when I replaced mine last year.

With the coolant only getting barely warm after 15 minutes operation at that air temperature suggests to me, the thermostat is bypassing coolant some how.
Seems to me it's either stuck partially open, cocked in it's locating recess, has come apart, is the wrong size thermostat, (I've gotten the wrong part in the wright box), or has a defective "O" ring seal.

I wouldn't worry yet about the moisture comming out the exhaust, because it'll make a lot of moisture, (as the engine isn't comming to full warm up temperature), WORRY if it has the sweet smell of antifreeze, then it's BAD news!!!!!

Let us know what you find.

Old 12-02-2004, 06:05 AM
vulch
Freshman User
Thanks for the help i am going to try another thermostat there is no air hole in this one maybe ill try a ford one .i refilled the rad to the overflow hole and most of the foam has gone i was concerned about head gasket i called a mechanic who does a radio program here he said if it was a head gasket the heat gauge would go up and down alot and there would be water in the oil Thanks for the help...