Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

Dodge the first Ricer Truck?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2004, 12:50 PM
73Fastbackv10
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Dodge the first Ricer Truck?

I've been seeing a lot of rams running around with ground effects kits lately. Do you guys think that they might be the first full size truck maker to begin to ricerfy their truck? The Lightning only had a different air dam on it while dodge adds on side skirts and rear valence. It also seems more like the honda-type fast and furious crowd are buying them based on the way that they attempt to race everything out there (the rams with body kits, not ALL ram drivers). Just want to hear everyone's 2 cents.

Old 11-30-2004, 01:19 PM
bigbluebronco43
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Lightning also had side skirts along with a new front fascia and even went as far as putting altezza type brake lights in the newer models....so ummmm no its not the first.

Old 11-30-2004, 01:22 PM
tmyers
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ground effects kits if I'm not mistaken are available for all most the trucks along with all the parts needed to lower them.

Old 11-30-2004, 01:37 PM
bluemoose89
Senior User
it could be the mexican community

Old 11-30-2004, 04:17 PM
stevef100s
Posting Guru
Lowered trucks have been around for awhile. My ex in-laws had a 93 Choo-Choo Customs F150. Lowered, with ground effects, air dam, wide tires, leather interior, nice paint job. A VERY nice truck, and they were born and raised in THIS country. There's always at least one in the bunch to try and bring heritage into things.

Old 11-30-2004, 08:37 PM
MemOrex
Postmaster
Ehh...my definition of ricer would be a 4 cylinder Car with stickers, a fart can, and a wing. . I'm pretty sure not just mexicans lower their trucks.

Old 11-30-2004, 08:54 PM
73Fastbackv10
Elder User
I thought that the new ram is becoming sort of like the newer v6 mustangs, where they are becoming adorned with body kits, loud exhaust, and lowering kits, much like you'd find in the "ricer" crowd. Maybe it is just my area.

Old 11-30-2004, 08:57 PM
mbnv992
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I agree with 93GreenF150. I have plenty of rice rockets in my area. We also have several highschool kids with mid 90's Dodge trucks lowered with huge rims, exhaust, etc. I like the ricer kids though. They think they are sooo fast . . . . . untill they get beaten by a truck that weighs almost 8K lbs, and the look on their faces at the next light

Old 11-30-2004, 09:08 PM
MemOrex
Postmaster
Most kids in my High school with trucks jack them up. And the exhausts are the loudest you'll hear. Heck, im running my 302 with no muffler. . But there's also those ricer guys. If we drive by them in the praking lot and they're revving up, we just laugh at them and REALLY rev our V-8's up.

Old 12-01-2004, 08:44 AM
bigbluebronco43
Elder User
Originally Posted by 73Fastbackv10
I thought that the new ram is becoming sort of like the newer v6 mustangs, where they are becoming adorned with body kits, loud exhaust, and lowering kits, much like you'd find in the "ricer" crowd. Maybe it is just my area.
Oh you mean like the "BOSS F150". The one that had ground effects, different wheels, and a huge black stripe on the hood, but No engine modifications whatsoever? I see a lot of guys with older model chevy's lowering their trucks and putting roll pans on them but that doesn't make them "rice". And calling the mexican community rice is plain ignorant. You'll get bad taste in design out of any vehicle made, because different people have different idea's of whats attractive and fast.

Old 12-01-2004, 03:48 PM
73Fastbackv10
Elder User
I don't consider guys lowering cars "ricers". What I mean is a noticeable body kit on a vehicle that the vehicle is incapable of going fast enough to use. At least the Lightning's body kit was subtle. The Dodge one that I've seen is really noticeable. I don't think that the rams will ever go fast enough to need a rear valence, much in the way a Civic does not need an air dam nor a rear spoiler.

Old 12-01-2004, 04:39 PM
Logical Heritic
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by 93GreenF150
Ehh...my definition of ricer would be a 4 cylinder Car with stickers, a fart can, and a wing. . I'm pretty sure not just mexicans lower their trucks.
Couldnt have summed it up better myself. When my dad was a kid. They lowered there cars. 50s chevrolets at the time. They wanted the rear bumper to be 1 cigarette pack off the ground. And that was cool to them. Way before immigration got out of hand. Way before we had spanglish. Way before you needed everything in california to be written in two languages.
Originally Posted by 73Fastbackv10
I don't consider guys lowering cars "ricers". What I mean is a noticeable body kit on a vehicle that the vehicle is incapable of going fast enough to use. At least the Lightning's body kit was subtle. The Dodge one that I've seen is really noticeable. I don't think that the rams will ever go fast enough to need a rear valence, much in the way a Civic does not need an air dam nor a rear spoiler.
No spoiler on a production car is useful. A true spoiler or hood scoop would be unsightly and block forward or rearward view. Nasa did a study on hood scoops. An effective hoodscoop would block about 40% of your front view. The largest purpose of a rear spoiler is not for max speed but to push down on the rear wheels to increase traction during acceleration, something a front wheel drive japanese sportscar really needs right. Then you have to tune them to what speed you want them to be most effective. At the end of a quarter a rails spoiler can create 15000 lbs of downward force. Maybe more. Going from memory.
Its all just for looks. They serve no purpose.

Old 12-01-2004, 06:52 PM
captchas
Thumbs up

please add new jersey to the spanglish list ,

Old 12-01-2004, 07:27 PM
FRECSF
Senior User
Dodge doesn't sell a ricer truck. Some individuals may try to rice them out but to say dodge, first and ricer in the same sentence makes no sense. Also ground affects does not make a ricer. And one that believes his vehical is fast does not make a ricer.

And to be truthful, the spoiler on the SRT Ram is functional and the truck is fast enough to use it.

There is also some very fast imports out there. Check out the import drags, you will see 1.8L making 800 - 1300 hp and running the 1/4 mile in 6 seconds.

Just my 2 cents...

Old 12-01-2004, 07:40 PM
73Fastbackv10
Elder User
Originally Posted by FRECSF
And to be truthful, the spoiler on the SRT Ram is functional and the truck is fast enough to use it.
The SRT Ram is not fast enough to use the rear spoiler. It's only a couple of miles per hour faster than a Lightning and the Lightning drives just fine without it. I had a 352 RWHP 87 supra that had no rear spoiler on it and I even took off the front chin spoiler and it could easily go over 150 without any downforce problems.

Quick Reply: Dodge the first Ricer Truck?