1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Chevy engines in Fords?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2004, 09:17 PM
War_Eagle
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I bet this topic has caused a few people to get excited! I mean you are going to have both good and bad points on both, with clearly the deciding factor being what suits you the best! Personal opinion though, you wanted a ford keep it a ford.......just my .02$

Old 11-27-2004, 09:19 PM
imlowr2
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I understand your point about the $$$ Oldjeep, however we are talking about trucks on magazines, shows, etc. These trucks are not low budget and they could easily afford a Ford engine in them, not to mention a very nice one. I don't want to bleed this post too much, but putting a Chevy engine in a Ford truck is like washing your hands with gloves on. It doesn't make sense. If it was about the $$$. I think I would have to save my pennies until I could afford a Ford engine, and then do it right. Wish I had a $ for everyone I heard say, "Why would he put a Chevy engine in a hot Ford truck like that?"

Old 11-27-2004, 09:24 PM
286merc
Posting Guru
For sheer torque from that 1970 era you couldnt beat the 472 & 500 Caddys. And they idled so smooth!

Another was the 70 455 Buick which even outtorqued the Olds at 510 AND the Buick is only a few pounds heavier than a SBC! If you bought the Stage ll package from the dealer it was all over but the shouting. And the good stuff was waiting but the EPA and insurance companies killed it. The stage lll was a 500+ hp 455 hemi !! A few prototypes still exist.

Old 11-27-2004, 10:49 PM
f1fordguy
Senior User
I guess I will have pretty good company while spending eternity in damnation for mixing breeds:

http://www.boydcoddington.com

Check out the Ford cars. Ten bucks to a day old Krispy Kream he'd do the same with my 48 F1.

We'll have plenty of time to thorougly discuss the subject.

Old 11-27-2004, 11:30 PM
Fomoko1
Received 1,353 Likes on 1,112 Posts
Originally Posted by f1fordguy
I guess I will have pretty good company while spending eternity in damnation for mixing breeds:

http://www.boydcoddington.com

Check out the Ford cars. Ten bucks to a day old Krispy Kream he'd do the same with my 48 F1.

We'll have plenty of time to thorougly discuss the subject.
Did you mean cuss the subject? That is the only way to discribe putting in a generic mess in a Ford!

Old 11-28-2004, 12:24 AM
51ford fan
Posting Guru
Years ago I was working on a 1936 Plymouth Business Coupe. I aquired a 289 for in it, and it wouldn't fit without firewall/radiator modification. The stagered head design and extended water pump made it a lot more involved to install. I sold it and purchased a 327 and was able to put it in with no problem. In my years of rodding the only thing the builders were intrested in was performance. What ever engine/trans combo they could come up with at a reasonable cost. The current crop of Ford engines didn't come out till 1964, and were out of the reach of most guys with families. The GM drivelines were within there reach, the Olds and Buicks were probably most popular. Most of the guys that grew up with this mentality are the ones still building hotrods. As for me, I'm leaning toward the 350 chevy myself, when I get around to replacing the Flathead 6 in my 51. I just know from past experience, for me, the 350 will be less hassle and less cost to install. And I will keep my hood closed at any shows I may attend so I won't offend anyone. Seems like some people in this forum have taken the place of the diehard restorer. They used to cry foul at any attempt to upgrade or change and orginal. I sure would like to know if Boyd Connington gets any hate mail for taking that perfectly good old model T, and cutting it up on last weeks American Hotrod show.

Old 11-28-2004, 01:57 PM
Gear Up
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have to come on line and say that it is truly a personal prefferance as to which power plant to use. I myself come from the school of thought that if it is Ford you stay Ford. I have seen many threads about the differences between the small block verses Big block or the 302 compared to the 351. All you need to do is go to your local engine builder and discuss with him or her what you want to do and how you plan to use the truck. There is so much interchangability with the engines and the horsepower or torque you can create is limited to your creativity. My son and I have constructed some mustangs that could do some amazing things. Case in point is the 78 fastback he had. He had a 302 with large valve and an RV cam and only a duece carb. When he bought it it was orange and most of the kids in town hated it. Told them if they could beat it they could pick the color. It was orange when he sold it. I don't think the color was the problem. Good Luck.

Gear Up

Old 11-28-2004, 06:27 PM
Fomoko1
Received 1,353 Likes on 1,112 Posts
Originally Posted by 51ford fan
Years ago I was working on a 1936 Plymouth Business Coupe. I aquired a 289 for in it, and it wouldn't fit without firewall/radiator modification. The stagered head design and extended water pump made it a lot more involved to install. I sold it and purchased a 327 and was able to put it in with no problem. In my years of rodding the only thing the builders were intrested in was performance. What ever engine/trans combo they could come up with at a reasonable cost. The current crop of Ford engines didn't come out till 1964, and were out of the reach of most guys with families. The GM drivelines were within there reach, the Olds and Buicks were probably most popular. Most of the guys that grew up with this mentality are the ones still building hotrods. As for me, I'm leaning toward the 350 chevy myself, when I get around to replacing the Flathead 6 in my 51. I just know from past experience, for me, the 350 will be less hassle and less cost to install. And I will keep my hood closed at any shows I may attend so I won't offend anyone. Seems like some people in this forum have taken the place of the diehard restorer. They used to cry foul at any attempt to upgrade or change and orginal. I sure would like to know if Boyd Connington gets any hate mail for taking that perfectly good old model T, and cutting it up on last weeks American Hotrod show.
No hate mail, that is going too far. Any none Ford power plants in a Ford do annoy me but that is someone else`s mistake not mine, easy enough to ignore that vehicle and go on to a good one.

Old 11-28-2004, 06:43 PM
56 Effie Aurea
Senior User
Interesting thread...some for, some against, some to each their own.

I'm basically a Ford guy. My grandfather worked at the Rouge foundry from the mid 20's until he retired in the mid 60's. My Dad was a Ford engineer at triple E for over 40 yrs. Fords are in my bloodline...no doubt about it. EVERY vehicle I've ever owned or bought new has been a Ford . But when it comes to a pre 50 or 60 hotrod, streetrod or whatever, I'll never hold it against a guy as to what's under the hood. Indeed, I admire the engineering involved in an engine swap.

Now as far as engines go, I have my favorites...and it's not just 'because'. For 15 years (circa 1970-1985) I made my living as a wrench and as such, rebuilt just about every engine around at the time. And you know what? They were all damn good...well, except for the Chevy Vega . And naturally, I had my favorites when it came to performance: the 429 CobraJet, the pre-454 big block Chevys and the Mopar 440 & Hemi...yup, all big blocks; I've never been happy with any small block when it comes to performance. I've driven all 3 of those engines in a friend's or customer's car and would give them all a 10...and I guarantee any one brand person will like them all if he/she ever got the chance to drive one, too.

Would I put any one of those in my Effie? Absolutely!! Do I have one of those in my Effie? Yer damn right...one of these days I'll tell you which one .
Norb

Old 11-28-2004, 07:09 PM
3Mike6
Postmaster
The only real crime is using a 305 and not a 350/383/400 etc....

Old 11-28-2004, 08:30 PM
imlowr2
Postmaster
Originally Posted by fomoko1
No hate mail, that is going too far. Any none Ford power plants in a Ford do annoy me but that is someone else`s mistake not mine, easy enough to ignore that vehicle and go on to a good one.
I have to agree with this comment. It's sad, when I see a really nice truck and then look under the hood and see something other than a Ford. I did see a 56 Effie that had a Chrysler Hemi under the hood. It was impressive, but it still made me think, "why would he put this engine in a Ford vehicle?" Why is it that people purchase Fords and put Chevy, Mopar engines in it? People who purchase Chevy's, Mopars, etc. don't put Ford engines in them? Even my wife, who is lucky to point to a valve cover saw a picture of really nice truck in Classic Trucks magazine. She told me, "look at this engine, it's all chrome!" DUH! I told her that's a Chevy engine in it. The distributor is in the back" She replied, "Why would they put a Chevy in a Ford? That just ruined the whole truck." OK, I have to admit I married her for her good looks. LOL.... and taste in cars and trucks.

56 Effie Aurora - OK, buddy. I've been wondering long enough what's under that hood of your 56. I think you blew it. If my calculations are correct. Let's see, your whole family has been involved in Fords (just like mine). You were a wrench on Fords (big blocks). Therefore, I would have to guess you have a Cobra Jet 429 under the hood. I might add that engine happens to be one of my favorites next to the 427 SOHC. I do have to agree with you on the big blocks, however I've always enjoyed the 289/302/351W series. I've always been able to tweek them to run hard and they're easy to work on. Just a personal preference.

Old 11-28-2004, 08:37 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Received 123 Likes on 94 Posts
"Would I put any one of those in my Effie? Absolutely!! Do I have one of those in my Effie? Yer damn right...one of these days I'll tell you which one .
Norb"

................. as he runs back into the closet and slams the door. Come on out Norb. It's time we tended to the business of your new forum nickname.

Last edited by fatfenders; 11-28-2004 at 09:08 PM.
Old 11-28-2004, 08:53 PM
mr4speedford
Posting Guru
56 Effie Aurora.... how come there's no engine pics? I could of sworn you mentioned a corvette motor in a post about a gentlemen who was also into corvettes...... I won't hold it against you -4speed

Old 11-28-2004, 09:59 PM
oldjeep
Senior User
I could understand if it was a restoration, but how boring - using all Ford parts or all chevy, or whatever. I can go to Back to the 50's and see 15-20 F-100's all with a swapped in 9" rear, some god awfull car suspension in the front, and a 460 or a 351 backed with a C4 in them - any color you like. The point of building vehicles to me is to do something different, so that it's not like every other car or truck out there.

Chuck P
www.oldjeep.com

Old 11-29-2004, 11:16 AM
Jag Red 54
Logistics Pro
Ch**y engines are cheap and easy. Ford engines can sometimes be a pain to locate new pulleys and brackets for. Ford engine pulleys and brackets changed numerous times over the years, while chevys parts were much more universal. Stay Ford engine in a Ford!! Fenders has a point about the other non-Ford items in our trucks: chevy or mopar columns, volare front ends, etc. But, the engine is the heart of the truck. Especially the mighty 289!!

Quick Reply: Chevy engines in Fords?