Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Do Not Buy Air Intakes!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2004, 06:35 PM
Monster350Ford
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do Not Buy Air Intakes!!

Hey there everyone I just had something to say about Air Intakes. I recently bought one for my 99 SPD and I was ****ed to find out that it did nothing. The Company claimed 50hp and 112 lbtq but the thing did nothing for me. I know this because I did several base line runs of my truck on my DynoJet and got good readings and all. After installing an AFE Stange II intake I ran the truck again. Same conditions and all as the first runs. I noticed a loss in torque (20 lbs), and no gain in horsepower. All my runs were done in about 1 hour, from base line to intake no variations in conditions at all. My DynoJet is on a trailor so I take it to car shows and so far every truck I have dynoed with an intake has showed no signs of making more power. I would like to advise everyone to invest their money in other upgrades first, get an intake as a last resort. Then again from what I have seen and tested your better off leaving the stock box alone. And no there is nothing wrong with my dyno either the intake just doesnt work.

Old 11-25-2004, 06:40 PM
82F100SWB
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
With an othewise stock engine, I wouldn't expect anything other than more noise, and possibly better filtration(depending on the filter used) than the stock setup.
On an otherwise modified engine, it would make a difference, but, I highly doubt those advertised gains would be realised.

Old 11-25-2004, 07:01 PM
Monster350Ford
Freshman User
Well the truck is not all stock it has a chip and full exhaust, plus a home made chip. If you have ever heard of anyone telling you to put a resistor into the IPC plug it works. With the resistor working it lowers the torque curve so the truck makes more torque at a muck lower rpm, then holds it throughout the powerban. But as for the intake, I do have some add ons and every truck I hvae dynoed with or without add ons has showed no power increase in regards to an intake. I just dont want to see anyone throw away their money like I did. Once was enough for me, I now test everyhting before I buy it, I know not everyone has a Dnyo in their garage like me but I will not buy any more diesel upgrades without trying them first. One guy from the diesel shop that I bought it from even came out to help put the intake on and he was shocked to see that it didnt work. So if you have a 7.3 L SPD and would like to know what something does before buying it let me know and I will get a hold of whatever it is and test if.

Old 11-25-2004, 07:02 PM
MobeyDick
Posting Guru
All you need with a stock 7.3 or 6.0 is the stock box. The motor will only pull so many CFM!! Stock boxs exceeds that by 20%!

Old 11-25-2004, 07:37 PM
vancouverpower
Elder User
Yeah, I brought this up the other day here. I talked to a shop owner that has a dyno and a psd. He never saw more than a 2-3 hp increase with any air filter. Not trying to rub it in, maybe you can show the dyno results to the manufacture? Return it?

BTW I won't put larger exhaust on my rig also. Everything I read says now power difference. Just lower egt's. Mine don't get hot so don't need it.

Old 11-25-2004, 07:47 PM
Forced347sn95
Junior User
Yea I found that 50 hp from the AFE disturbing. I just bought a AEM intake along with tuner and exhaust in a package deal. I figured a intake alone would do nothing. I was thinking the combination would make the intake more favorable. I wish i could dyno before and after with the intake pre and post stock

Old 11-25-2004, 07:51 PM
Monster350Ford
Freshman User
I called the company and told them what the deal was and that their intake did nothing for me. They claimed to be suprised but I knew they were really thinking, "crap someone actually tested it!" I know how they got their bogas power increases. On a Dyno you can load the rollers therefor simulating a heavy trailor or steep grade. When you do this you power shoots way up. So they could claim heres what the truck makes, then put the intake on, load the crap out of it and get these real high numbers. You cant advertise them thought because thats a factor that differes from the base line to the test run. I know thats what they did, I even asked but they denied it. Although I will give them credit for immediatly offering to refund the shop to get my money back, then again dealing with the owner is a whole different story.
As for exhaust I know it harldy gives any power but it does in fact lower GTS's. I noticed about 100-150 degree drop after putting mine on. I know the larger downpipe is not good for the performance end but hauling around my 14,000 lb Mobile Chassis DynoJet it sure helped things stay cooler considering the truck and trailor gorss out at an even 24,000 lbs at over 55 ft long. I used to run down the road slightly above 1,000 degrees, not it stays around the 800 range.

Old 11-25-2004, 08:06 PM
444dieselrod
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I have never been a fan of anyone who claims that they can get X amount of horsepower from a given product. sorry for your loss but that is why I love this forum. you had a bad experiense and told all of us.

I for one did the 6635 napa air filter A.K.A. the "kwik filter" and I was really impressed. the truck really pulls hard now, the stock box sucked. give it a try you might like it. don't have any numbers on it but the seat of the pants dyno said 2 thumbs up.

If you could do this one would be great since you have a dyno. only cost me about 40 bucks for the filter and piping. check gallery for a pic.

Diesel rod

Old 11-25-2004, 08:10 PM
DaBigTow
Elder User
So what I think I'm hearing is only do the exhaust & intake if you're hauling monster loads, right?

Old 11-25-2004, 08:22 PM
444dieselrod
Posting Guru
<TABLE class=tborder cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=4 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR title="Post 2157812" vAlign=top><TD class=alt1 align=middle width=125>DaBigTow</TD><TD class=alt2>So what I think I'm hearing is only do the exhaust & intake if you're hauling monster loads, right?</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

When i bought my truck which is basically the same as your but 4x4 and 3/4 ton i could only get 14 mpg at best. and a slow diesel. now I can pull 20 mpg empty on the highway and keep right up with just about any gasser truck off the line at a stop light. I had it dyno'ed once and on the 1/4 mile was 14 something. thats pretty dang good for a 7100 lbs tank!!! the stock air boxes suck, the exhaust is to small and choking the motor. i drive mine for hobby, fun, racing, and a daily driver. bigest load it pulled was a hay rack one day.

the exhaust and intake are mostyl done to optimise the horsepower of a chip, and/or allow the engine to run cooler. on a all out race at 100 mph (dont tell the cops) with a stock motor and exhaust and intake mods I can still hit 1300* degree, egt's with no chip. stock exhaust and intake and I couldnt even get to 100

it depends what you wanna go i wanna go fast and make lots of horsepower.

Diesel rod

Old 11-25-2004, 08:28 PM
ltfox
Posting Guru
In my opinion the tymar I have don't give more horses but by far out filter the stock box that was in my 94. That box was a terrible design and know and prone to letting dust in. So in defense of intakes I'll be ever happy with my set-up because I know it don't let dust in!

Old 11-25-2004, 08:51 PM
444dieselrod
Posting Guru
ltfox "In my opinion the tymar I have don't give more horses but by far out filter the stock box that was in my 94."

yea I forgot to mention that also in my other one.

Monster350Ford my main thought of this is that I wasn't really after the horsepower gain I wanted the better filtering abilities cuz the stock ones do suck. and i think its pretty sweet that you are testing this stuff and keeping us informed about the actual horsepower increase verses the "claimed" increases.

but anyway if you could test the Kwik Filter that would be cool cuz I know ALOT of guys are running that one as well and a number would be cool for all of us to know.

Diesel rod

Old 11-25-2004, 10:12 PM
mybigredford
Elder User
where can i find the steps to built one of them "kwik filters" ???

Old 11-25-2004, 10:13 PM
Quadzilla
Postmaster
The fact that an intake alone can't/won't make a difference in power is the very reason Dale Isley doesn't make claims about the TYMAR he's developed. He'll tell you that it will filter better than the stock air box, and it does. He'll tell you that it'll help lower EGT's, and it does. He'll tell you that there's less restriction with his intake, and there is.
He won't make claims about brighter brights, and whiter whites, because he knows it ain't true.
The title of this thread should be:
Don't buy an intake if you expect to get a huge power increase.
Just because a manufacturer made a false claim in advertising their product, I wouldn't condemn all manufacturers, or all products. Just my $.02.

Last edited by Quadzilla; 11-25-2004 at 10:16 PM.
Old 11-25-2004, 10:44 PM
farmb0y
Posting Guru

I usually disreguard any claimed increase in hp from intakes and exhaust. The combination of both might give you about 5 extra horses, but not anything extremely noticable. The main reason is to compliment other additions to the truck, ie: power chips, they help the engine breath better. The stock air boxes are not good, they are common for having bad seals with the filter and the tabs breaking off, which did on mine, creating no seal at all.

Someone made the claim that the stock air boxes already provide sufficient air flow for the engine, I don't know if it's true or not, but I find it hard to believe. The stock filter for my 7.3L is almost the same size as the filter for my 5.0L gasser. Either the 5.0L is provided with extremely enough air, or the reason most people get a different filter assembly, the stock assembly for the 7.3L is too restrictive.

But I'm glad to see someone is out getting "hard numbers data" on different mods for their trucks. It's always useful information!

Quick Reply: Do Not Buy Air Intakes!!