4.6 turbo numbers

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2004, 06:10 PM
1fast4.6
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4.6 turbo numbers

if anyone has done a custom install of a turbo on a 4.6l i was wondering if i could get some information from you.... i have looked up dealers of turbos for the 4.6 but damn.... i dont wanna shell out 4000 dollars for what i can build for probably under 2000... like what size turbo did you buy how much tubing did you get and how much you accually needed.. intercooled or not and just how to fit all that together... just receved a nice vacation pay from the union... and dont feel like going to disney world just yet

Old 11-27-2004, 10:32 AM
2000BLK54
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Think you are going to have a bit of trouble getting all the specifics because they are patented systems if you are looking at the kit Crash sells. PTK would probably sell you the hot parts and that would leave it up to you to source the turbo and intake exaust side of things. Cough up the money and buy a well established and fully supported kit...less likely to blow the motor.

Old 11-30-2004, 09:15 PM
turbostang_todd
New User
This is interesting. I just came here to look around and see if there might be any interest in Turbo kits for the F150's. I've done kits for mustangs for years and was thinking about developing something for the F150.

I did a little quick research on this "Crash" fella and I'm pretty impressed with his work. I'd like to meet him and it looks like he is actually not all that far away from me.

To answer your question on this thread, it looks like Crash was getting HP numbers in the upper 300's with a T67 turbo (I have not experienced one of those yet) at 8 PSI, and in the upper 400's at 16PSI. IT didn't look like the 16 PSI setting was a good one for a bone stock setup though, so to get those numbers you will need to do some more upgrades. With his charge air temps it appears that he was intercooling. it doesn't look like it would take a huge amount of pipe. The real trick for you will be to figure out what OD pipe to use for your do-it-yourself setup so that you don't go too small and restrict exhaust flow, or go to big and loose some of the exhaust pressure before getting it to the turbine. you will also want to be careful not to get the hot side too close to anything that might melt and still clear everything ok. Oiling is another issue.

These people that offer those kits have done a lot of research and development and have figured out all that stuff through trial and error or through a lot of figuring and previous experience. If they are offering new turbos and new Wastegates and new BOV's and new intercoolers then you are looking at easily close to $2500 just for the parts involved. Then all the time involved in cutting the piping, piecing it all together and getting it just right and welded correctly, creating jigs to build future copies on, and the man hours involved in the whole project.... $1500 for all that is a deal! Believe me, I've been through it.

On the other hand, if you search out and find the perfect sized turbo that might be used but in decent condition, a used wastegate (or possibly finding a turbo with built-in wastegate), a used BOV, a good deal on the piping and you decide that you can assemble it all yourself... Well , you can save some money there. But it will be a heck of a project.

Good luck man.

Todd

Old 12-01-2004, 12:29 AM
2000BLK54
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Crash...or Derek rather...is running a forged shortblock...but 8 psi is safe on the stockers. On the 5.4 his partner is running a similar T67 (.81 AR for the automatic though??) and making 400+ hp and 500+ lb-ft. at the wheels on stock shortblock. Though I think he has some extras that he's made himself as well as his own SCT tuning.

Old 12-15-2004, 01:29 PM
Crash!
Junior User
Thanks for the compliments. This system was spec'd by my partner Mark (AKA SkidMarkRacing). Get in touch, we can get together anytime... I often travel between Austin and Dallas.

Very true. We built the system with the intent of keeping it cost effective over building one. This means no guesswork. Yes, they are intercooled, and on an 85 degree night, air enters the air filter at 115 degrees, but hits the throttle body at 91 degrees at FULL boost!

8 PSI is used on the stock engines, and the base system uses a T-67. It is designed to handle a T-76 GTSH, and we have two Lightnings getting them. One is complete, and is in the tuning phase. The other is under construction. Both are TOP TRUCK contenders, running sub-10s when the Roots were installed!

You can take a look at them here.

Mine- MAX 488/542 (16 PSI). At 8 PSI, I can WAX a C-5 from 70-160. It gets retarded! Have since upgraded the fuel system, and expect 600 FT/LBS.

www.trixtersracing.com/project02.htm

Mark's- MAX 425/535 (8 PSI, no controller yet... Stock engine, 5650 LBS!).

www.trixtersracing.com/turbotime.htm

Best ET of a 12.65 at 8 PSI. In addition, we have been able to duplicate these dyno numbers on members trucks, both with tuning and on a stock fuel system with an FMU. In all cases, traction is an issue... LOL!

Last edited by Crash!; 12-15-2004 at 01:32 PM.