1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

56 F100 with an Explorer frame

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2008, 09:45 AM
dave boley
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A tranquil madness...

Originally Posted by rtcalabrojr
Dave, i love the "Scoobygator" idea. I am thinking about doing the same but on a smaller scale. Small along the lawn tractor scale. Keep up the good work.

Thanks Man,
The Scoobygator was a product of a feak situation. The donor vehicle for the drivetrain belonged to a friend. It sat on his farm for two years because it had a bad fuel pump. He thought it was an in-tank pump and didn't want to pay to have it fixed. I had another friend that used to build all sorts of stuff with Subaru drive parts and engines. I kept telling him that he could get this one for free if he would go get it. He never did. My friend finally asked me if I wanted it and I said I'd take it. Over the two years he was offering it to me I got to thinking the 4WD set up would be great to use in a farm/ranch utility vehicle. It has been an interesting project so far but it has become a lot more involved than I had first invisioned it. This all seems like a lot of trouble for something I decided I was going to sell from day one.

I only have a half acre here so I really don't need this thing. It's not practical for on road use although it will meet all requirements the state imposes. For me the whole point was the chalenge and the fun of building it. However, the fun of the challenge is all but gone and only satisfaction of achieving the finished product remains. So, all I long for now is to get it done and sell it so I can finance more Darkside madness.

Later Man...

Old 07-20-2008, 07:05 PM
rtcalabrojr
Darksider

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you where to sell it what would you want? Just wondering, i mean a JD gator is not cheap and its on the same line of thought. I have 3 3/4 acre and could use that here.

Old 07-20-2008, 09:29 PM
dave boley
Posting Guru
It is for sale...

Originally Posted by rtcalabrojr
If you where to sell it what would you want? Just wondering, i mean a JD gator is not cheap and its on the same line of thought. I have 3 3/4 acre and could use that here.
I am going to sell it and I have people waiting to see it finished. I came up with a price of $8,500.00. Nobody flinched so far. the guy who gave me the drivetrain wants first crack at it. He says he paid that for a little 2WD JD Gator several years ago and he has told me there is no way it would compare to this. There are lots of Subaru parts available in the junkyards and even buying new parts is more economical than comparable JD parts. It is considerably larger than a Gator. It has a 65" wheelbase and an outside tracking width of 68". I may offer the trailer with it for an extra $1,500.00. I can always use it for other stuff. I have fenders and lights for it bit I need to put them on it.

Considering the investment in materials and parts, I really won't be making much money on this thing but Like I said, the fun was in the design and build part. People keep asking me if I have plans for it. I always answer , Sure, I'm going to sell it. I think they meant something else...

Later Man...

Old 09-07-2008, 09:06 PM
DOHC53f100
New User
Sweet truck bro! That really inspires me to go ahead with my project. Would you be willing to build another one of these? I have a 53 F100 and a 94 Ford Explorer and a 1996 Mustang Cobra that has the DOHC stuff in there! I'm in Maryland as well and would love to know what you think about the invite...

Old 09-07-2008, 09:33 PM
dave boley
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by DOHC53f100
Sweet truck bro! That really inspires me to go ahead with my project. Would you be willing to build another one of these? I have a 53 F100 and a 94 Ford Explorer and a 1996 Mustang Cobra that has the DOHC stuff in there!
Hi DOHC53f100,
Welcome to the FTE. It sounds like you fit right in with us Darksiders. Is your Explorer chassis 4WD? If so , and you are planing on using the Mustang Cobra engine, you are going to need a different tranny and transfer case because the Explorer stuff can't handle the power. There is also the issue of the front tortion bar suspension being tough enough for the extra engine weight. I'm working on that problem now as it looks as though I'll be getting a rolling chassis from a '99. Keep us posted.

Later Man...

Old 09-08-2008, 12:50 PM
DOHC53f100
New User
Thanks!

Hey Dave,
I really appreciate the support so far. The Ford Explorer I have is a 4 door limited 2wd with a blown head gasket. My plans are to swap the 4.0 and tranny out of the Explorer with the 4.6 DOHC and T45 tranny from the Cobra. I don't really have the room at the house to do what I need to though. That sucks.

Old 09-08-2008, 04:58 PM
dave boley
Posting Guru
Hey Dave,
I really appreciate the support so far. The Ford Explorer I have is a 4 door limited 2wd with a blown head gasket. My plans are to swap the 4.0 and tranny out of the Explorer with the 4.6 DOHC and T45 tranny from the Cobra. I don't really have the room at the house to do what I need to though. That sucks.
Doing the 2WD will be a lot easier than the 4WD I'm doing. Check out
keith56_cruz_cab and take a look at his truck.

Later Man...

Old 12-07-2008, 04:01 PM
primer85f150
Senior User
all of you guys are great inspiration, but i am thinking of doing it on my 51, with a 94 explorer 4x4 frame. seems it may be to wide for me. any input would help

Old 12-07-2008, 04:44 PM
dave boley
Posting Guru
[quote=primer85f150;6855915]all of you guys are great inspiration, but i am thinking of doing it on my 51, with a 94 explorer 4x4 frame. seems it may be to wide for

Take a look at this gallery. https://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gal...?userid=171009

This is from the guy that started this thread. I really don't think it's too wide but if you see a post by Julie ask her for the drawings that show the dimensions of your truck.

Later Man...

Old 06-18-2009, 03:24 AM
55 f350
Post Fiend
bump to the top for you frame swap guys !!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 06-18-2009, 08:01 AM
dave boley
Posting Guru
Hey Dave,
I see that 55f350 has bumped to the top the thread in which you inquired about the Explorer frame swap. I got to wondering how that was coming since it has been a while.

I wanted to send you a PM but I can't which I think is due to your small number of posts. How about trying to get in touch with me by PM or by e-mail.

Later Man...

Old 04-09-2010, 09:44 PM
55 f350
Post Fiend
bump to da bump.........................

Old 04-09-2010, 11:14 PM
Old F1
Cargo Master

Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts
A great story with NO ending, ..........just like my love life, I feel cheated.

Wonder what happened and where he went?

So would it be fair to say that frame swaps are not for the weak, of mind or heart?

Old 04-09-2010, 11:35 PM
Fomoko1
Received 1,344 Likes on 1,104 Posts
Originally Posted by Old F1
His last on this site activity was on 08-24-2007.

Old 04-10-2010, 08:49 AM
dave boley
Posting Guru
This is an old one...

Originally Posted by Old F1
A great story with NO ending, ..........just like my love life, I feel cheated.

So would it be fair to say that frame swaps are not for the weak, of mind or heart?

There are more than a few here that are positive that those of us who do this kind of thing are just plain crazy. But you know there is that old thing about there being a fine line between genius and insanity.

I tried several times to e-mail Dave and I did not get an answer. That was a few months after I had several PMs and e-mails exchanged with him about his project. I often wondered if something happened to him. I have occasionally tried his e-mail and it doesn't bounce back so it still must be active. Of course that doesn't mean that he is alive and well.

BTW, still working on mine. I keep getting new ideas. My '99 Explorer chassis has a 31 spline 8.8" with limited slip and disc brakes but I don't care too much for the hoky conventional leaf spring set up. I may integrate in a complete T-Bird IRS. I have one with limited slip and disc brakes. the only draw back is that the bolt circle for the wheels on the T-Bird is different than the Explorer front end is. I suppose the sud flanges could be drilled out for the Explorer's bolt circle. I even have a milling machine with a DRO that will calculate and position the machine for any size and number bolt circle. I would probably have to buy a carbide end mill special for the job though.

These jobs wouldn't take me so long if I would just stick with a plan but what fun would that be??? I guess that's just part of being a Darksider.

BTW Kevin, what made you dig up and bump up this one?

Later Folks....

Quick Reply: 56 F100 with an Explorer frame