351m out...460 in

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2004, 01:25 PM
garsten
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
351m out...460 in

howdy,

i recently purchased a 68 f100 swb 2wd w/351M C6. the 351m will soon be replaced with a 460 from a 70 lincoln. having cruised this forum, i have already gathered quite a bit of information, but since i am a new guy i cannot e-mail y'all directly, so i would like to rehash a thing or two.

the motor mounts should be straight forward since the 351M seems to be mounted properly. the mounts on the 351M have 3 bolts to the block and a single large bolt through the perch secured with a nut. the swap mounts from L&L or jeff's bronco graveyard should work. any pros or cons here?

i've read that the 460 front sump barely fits and that oil changes are less than enjoyable. i've located a rear sump pan from a salvage yard (here in tucson they really think highly of their parts... $100 w/ pickup tube). i may test and tune my truck when finished at the local drag strip and guess the rear sump would be the way to go?

i'll ask about headers later, but a previous owner has already notched the frame slightly for obvious clearance issues. does anyone make aftermarket shorty headers or are long tubes the way to go. the 460 will have a stock bottom end, d0ve heads and blue thunder dual plane intake with possibly an autolite 4100 carb replacing the stock 4300.

thanks in advance for the help. this is a great board with friendly, knowledgable ford owner...garsten, tucson, az; 83 efi f150 4wd; 90 mustang 5.0; 81 fairmont 5.0 chick magnet drag racer and 68 f100 swb 2wd.

Old 11-19-2004, 08:58 PM
TJDREAMS
Freshman User
Im doing the same thing in my 70-350 and i came to certain issues that needed to be decided on.

My 460 came from lincoln also, front sump is SOO close and drain plug is to the side and next to impossible to change so i converted to rear sump where not only does it have clearance, it also has the drain on the bottom of pan. One thing special you will need is a special screw for the crank to support your oil pickup tube.

The 460 also weighs about 720 lbs without attachments and that is a little more than the 575 that the 351M weighs. I would suggest some new front springs and also solid metal mounts, like those for drag racing engines, especially if you will improve on the engine.

You may find that the headers you are looking for are easily custom made locally so i would check around before i would spend a wad. I would recommend at least 2" but i have seen on ebay 1.75" ones already ready to fit truck mounting applications. Around 200.00 is what they were asking, a local 'ford' lover made me excellent ones for 150/pair.
So far that is it, although i think that the carb you are planning to mount may be just a bit small.

Old 11-19-2004, 09:04 PM
TJDREAMS
Freshman User
Exclamation oops, i forgot...

sorry, but i almost forgot:

I don't know how helpful my suggestions were earlier, but if you are gonna do ANYTHING at ALL, i would suggest that you don't use used engine mounts.

For the few dollars that you can get brand new ones, putting in used ones will not be worth the headache when you brake one.

Old 11-20-2004, 08:48 PM
SRD4X4
Posting Guru
There's a few co.'s that make motor mounts,OEM type are 3 pc.-cup on motor,frame mount/stand, and rubber mount in between.You can use a 460 truck pan for 73-78.When I did my swap I used Hedman headers and notched crossmember for radius arms,later found out wasn't necc.,just a little extra time on bending pipes.

Old 11-21-2004, 08:07 AM
garsten
Senior User
thanks for the responses...when i got to the salvage yard i decided to buy the whole engine he had from a 78 f250. some parts i will need are missing like the oil dipstick tube and dipstick and cranshaft pulley, but he guaranteed the block to be rebuildable and i have the rear sump pan, all accessory brackets, and the 3 peice mounting setup which SRD4X4 mentioned. for $300 i now have 3 big blocks laying around the homestead.

any recommendations on the springs? the previous owner gave me new front springs with the truck and the springs in the truck do need to be replaced. what is a good magazine to use as a guide to aftermarket parts? you are right, i am glad i have a 1250# engine stand because a complete 460 is hard to rotate.

i do plan on using new motor mounts, but now i have to decide which mounts to use. the 351M to 460 swap mounts from L&L or JBG or the original setup from the 78 with new rubber. i have solid mounts in my race car which are readily available for a five liter in a fox body but where would i find solid mounts for a 460 into a pickup truck? i will opt for one of the first two setups.

cam selection and carb sizing seem to stir many posts...i have talked to pony carbs in las cruces new mexico and he says on his website the 4100 was the best production 4 barrel carb ever built. i know ford made them in several cfm rating. when i get to that point he said he would help with cam selection and then calibrate a carb on an engine. he asks a bunch for his reman'd carbs, but i sometimes like to do thing differently, and the idea of running an autolite carb appeals to me as long as it will do the job. i do agree that i will have to get the right size, but most people over carb. i hate to be in a rush because we all make mistakes when we do. initially i will run the stock cam from the lincoln and use an edelbrock 750 a friend has lying around his garage. i need to do a compression test on the lincoln before i use it. if bad i have a machined block, crank and truck connecting rods ready for rebuilding. just need pistons and rings.

thanks again, garsten, tucson,az

Old 11-21-2004, 07:24 PM
HillbillyHellcat
Senior User
I am doing the same, I yanked a worn 400M out of my '72 last month and just picked up a rather stongly built 460 with the Cobra Jet heads, Lunati Cam, 285/292 (advertised) .560/.5?? (non-roller cam) Full Roller Rockers, Torker II intake and a R/B C-6 for a $1000. It has 500 miles on it and a couple 1/4 mile passes on it. I am probably going to run a Weiand Stealth intake instead and maybe a Demon or Predator carb.

It has the front sump pan. So the late '70s truck 460 pan will be a rear sump? Is this for 4X4 or 2WD? I am using a set of engine stands from a '77 F250, with the cups and insulators... Are poly insulators available? Mine are worn out. As for headers, I see there are flanges available on eBay, I might call a couple of my favorite exhaust shops about making up a set along with 3" exhaust. Headers are a must with this engine. I didn't realize that the 460 swap was so common on these trucks! I am very stoked!

Old 11-22-2004, 08:33 AM
garsten
Senior User
double H, sound like a nice engine. my buddy runs a dual plane weiand stealth intake on a bow tie 454 engine and really like it. i got my rear sump pan off a 78 f250 super cab and it looked to me to be 2wd. i have no idea if ploy mounts are available for that setup.

let me know how the installation of the engine stands which bolt to the frame goes. the 351M mounts in my 68 look like they were bolted and partially welded in so i may buy the conversion mounts from l&l or jbg. garsten