1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

'88 Ranger Pops Out of Gear

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2002, 08:30 AM
Ray R
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Howdy folks. I have a '88 Ranger 4x4, 2.9L, 5-speed (Mitsubishi tranny, I think) that has recently developed a quirk. It pops out of fourth gear at steady speeds. It's just fourth gear, and never under accelleration. It does it primarily when letting off of it and coasting to a stop sign, etc. It's never comes out violently and goes right back in pretty easily. Almost seems like the shifter is kind of loose or something and the boot is pulling it back out. I figure if this were the case though, it would do that in second as well. Not sure on that one. Anybody have any ideas on what my problem may be? I should add that the truck has about 150k miles on it and the tranny is beginning to make a little bit of bearing noise. Am I looking at needing a rebuild soon? Any suggestions would be helpful and appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Ray

Old 03-15-2002, 07:54 PM
BLOWNRANGER
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My '88 Bronco II developed the same problem with 1st gear, I think it was. Simple fix there. New synchronizer. Same symptom as yours. Have them throw in all new synchs and a clutch and bearing while they're in there. That'll save money down the road.

Old 03-15-2002, 09:36 PM
Ken00
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post