1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

#8 injector, you're outa' there! (cackle)

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2004, 08:30 PM
Powerstrokedlariat
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up #8 injector, you're outa' there! (cackle)

So, I went to the dealership and talked to the diesel tech there and he said that with the infamous cackle, or knock-knock-knock at idle like a hammer to the block sound, that there is a way to fix it. Since I had been told by another dealer that this was normal and get used to it, you can imagine my happiness.

Anyways, he said that the way to fix is to order a new injector from Ford that has a higher volume of oil and that way it will have enough oil at idle and not be starved by the #6 injector. He said that 100% of the time it fixes the darned cackle sound. Now the good news is that Ford warranties this if under 100k 5year with $100 deductible. I am at 99949 and they just laughed. A couple more miles and that injector would have cost me around $650 ! I am posting this because I know that the cackle bothers me quite a bit and I'm sure there are more of you out there. Hope this helps anyone with this problem, I will post the results next week when it gets fixed.

Old 11-19-2004, 09:42 PM
77hiboyboy
Posting Guru
is the cackle harmful in anyway(sorry I am lazy to search through)

Old 11-19-2004, 09:42 PM
TheHammer69
Junior User
Originally Posted by Powerstrokedlariat
So, I went to the dealership and talked to the diesel tech there and he said that with the infamous cackle, or knock-knock-knock at idle like a hammer to the block sound, that there is a way to fix it. Since I had been told by another dealer that this was normal and get used to it, you can imagine my happiness.

Anyways, he said that the way to fix is to order a new injector from Ford that has a higher volume of oil and that way it will have enough oil at idle and not be starved by the #6 injector. He said that 100% of the time it fixes the darned cackle sound. Now the good news is that Ford warranties this if under 100k 5year with $100 deductible. I am at 99949 and they just laughed. A couple more miles and that injector would have cost me around $650 ! I am posting this because I know that the cackle bothers me quite a bit and I'm sure there are more of you out there. Hope this helps anyone with this problem, I will post the results next week when it gets fixed.
Actually, this is not something new. What that mechanic wants to install is what we call the "long lead #8" and it's a crappy fix. In fact, there are three things you can do to fix the problem better and still keep the current "AD" injector which is better than having a LL#8. The three things are 1) in-tank & pre-pump mod (sometimes called the "hutch" mod) 2)HX crossover line 3) regulated return fuel system. Do a search on this items to learn more about them.

Hammer

Old 11-19-2004, 09:53 PM
Fire Rooster
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the Hx crossover and I love the thing. Better sounding, smoother idle and smoother acceleration. All this equates to, better performance and a big smile!!!

Fire Rooster

Old 11-19-2004, 10:05 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 783 Likes on 595 Posts
I second that. I would be very hesitant to install a Long Lead injector. IMO all that is going to do is to give an unbalanced fuel delivery to the engine.
I highly suggest going to www.texastowncar.com and reading about thier research and developement on the idle knock and diesel cackle.
Also the real cause and cure can be seen in the pictures here: http://community.webshots.com/album/32614313yLKyrS/0
Also there is this: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/s...d.php?t=260173

Old 11-19-2004, 11:40 PM
Powerstrokedlariat
Postmaster
Question

Why is this a crappy fix? it seems to me that if the knock goes away, it would be fine. Forgive me I am new to diesels but if they say it is common and that it will fix it, why wouldn't I do it? I really like the idea of the fuel mods you guys mention but don't have the time or a garage door tall enough to work under the hood of this beast. $100 bucks to make the knock go away seems great to me. I will see what else gets posted this weekend before I take it in to have done. I really respect your insight, Thanks

Old 11-19-2004, 11:43 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
I've read posts where the LL injector doesn't fix it either. Not trying to argue with you, just trying to help you make the best, educated decision that you can.

Old 11-20-2004, 12:06 AM
Powerstrokedlariat
Postmaster
I am really looking for any help and advice I can. I know I am not the only one that hates the knock. I was just driving today with a customer of mine that asked what that sound was. It made me think that it is pretty bad if an average guy hears it in the cab. Also the diesel tech comes highly recommended by several others and had the knock on his truck and it went away. So, not looking for any arguments, just advice. Thanks all-

Old 12-07-2004, 10:48 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts
Too Late??

Hope its not to late to add to this post. Is all this information on fuel tank mods, hx hose and return line regulator for the newer PSD's? I have a 96 that I got about a month ago and have spend a lot of time reading on this great site but it seems to me that the year spread on PSD's is to big. Just wondering, I would like to try these mods!

Old 12-07-2004, 10:55 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
I am not sure about this but I think all you need to do, if you want to do anything is the HX hose.
'99 and up have a returnless fuel feed to the cylinder heads. >ANY< air, bubbles, gasses that end up in the fuel rail must be injested and injected into the engine to get rid of it. Your's has a fuel return so that's not an issue with your engine.

Old 12-08-2004, 06:21 AM
lancer
Elder User
Hey guys whats up. I was wondering if you can tell me who sells these hx line kits. I've had my truck now for about 6 onths and love it(99sd first diesel i've owned!) My motor is pretty quiet to some i've heard but i still think this would be a good idea! Thanks

Old 12-08-2004, 07:34 AM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts
hx

Thanks Kwikordead, I'm like Lance now and would like to know who sells the hx kits?

Old 12-08-2004, 08:31 AM
HeatStroked
Fleet Mechanic
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Diesel Manor sells the HPX:
http://www.dieselmanor.com/default.asp

Dennis sells a complete kit for the tank and pre-pump mod and the (JNB) Gen 2 Regulated Fuel System:
http://www.itpdiesel.com/

Old 12-09-2004, 08:30 PM
lariatbob
Senior User
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
My 2000 has bad cackle. I have done the pre-pump/in tank mod, the hx hose. Pulled the valve cover, #8 says "LL" on it. Still trying to quiet it down. Actually seems worse after the pre pump mod. Hmmmmm......

Old 12-10-2004, 12:47 PM
lancer
Elder User
I'm sorry to hear your mods didn'twork. I just wanted to tell you thats one tough lookin' truck! Nice job