General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

.22 Rifle Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2005, 03:07 PM
Machine
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ruger 10/22 is the most talked about, and I think the best for the $

If you have more $$$ to spend, then I'd go for a Ruger 77 all weather
in stainless steel, in .22 Mag!

Old 01-03-2005, 04:36 PM
stevef100s
Posting Guru
My 10/22 is an older stainless steel version with the walnut stock, and to call it junk would just be dead wrong. To call my Mini-14 junk would be even more wrong, since I can empty a 30 round clip into about 5 holes on a standard size target at 100 yards. This is cranking off one shot after another, with no pause inbetween. All my weapons have had just a little work done to them, I'll admit, but they were all pretty good right from the factory. I'm sure the training I received in the Army may have a little to do with it. It's true, that a semi-auto will not produce a group as tight as a bolt action, but which would you rather have in a firefight? The only Ruger I ever had that I wasn't happy with was a Mini-30, but it may have had a lot to do with the Russian ammo I was using at the time.

Old 01-03-2005, 07:48 PM
pchristman
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by patsplace
...Have you got any pictures of the rear lug and pillar bedding that you did? I epoxy bedded mine and have yet to install the barrel tuner that one of the guys from rimfire.com invented... Pat
No pictures yet, but you might PM me a reminder, and I'll borrow a camera. I'm kinda proud of it - just started out to make a squirrel gun - it still has the factory barrel, but I don't think the barrel band has landed anywhere yet.

I've been trying to gather up some data to use for barrel tuning, but haven't had much luck. Slight upward pressure near the front of the barrel of a 22 is supposed to increase accuracy, so when I floated my barrel I added a threaded insert to the forestock, and ran in a stainless set screw with a rounded end. I shot groups of 5 without any pressure, with the screw just touching, and so on, increasing 1/4 turn per group. It didn't take long to tell that no pressure at all yielded the tightest group. But, my message for the day is "headspace".

Old 01-03-2005, 09:46 PM
patsplace
Senior User
Walnut stocked stainless eh!! Nice shootin' iron. No doubt. There were quite a few of those guns that had some really nice wood on them and then stainless barrel, kewl!!

I'll try and PM you for some pics of the mods that you did. I forget the name of the piece that is sold through RF.com as a barrel tuner. It has a rounded nylon piece that you dial in for what works best for you. I've got the heavy SS fluted barrel and it's full floated and seems to work really well so I don't think that I'll fiddle with it.

Pat

Old 01-03-2005, 11:29 PM
bambishooten
Senior User
I have had the 10/22 &loved it, you did not mention if you want a lever, semi, bolt, or tube fed, Sandrat is right on the trigger on the Savage, 40 to 50 bucks on a trigger will do the trick, my Savage shoots sub 1" groups @ 100yds, the trigger job helped, what do want to do with this rifle? critters, plinking ?

Old 01-04-2005, 08:38 AM
Leeland1
Junior User
I've got a Henry lever action. I love it! It shoots shorts, longs, and long rifle cartridges. I like to shoot CB caps in it. Almost silent and very effective on squirrels.

Old 01-16-2005, 11:39 PM
AZkick-n40
New User
Ruger 10/22. You can buy tons of accessories for them.

I have a Nylon 66 that has been a great gun, but would love to buy a 10/22.

Old 01-17-2005, 07:31 AM
00BlueOvalRanger
Logistics Pro
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I too, like the little 10/22.

I bought two. . . several years ago, when I was teaching Hunter Safety.
The conversation of .22s came up on the firing line (after the class & everyone was gone) and one of the guys there mentioned that he worked for K-Mart and that they were having a 'Close-Out' of some of their stuff, including Ruger 10/22s w/ synthetic stocks.
He said, "$99.00 + tax."

You have never seen anybody pack their stuff up and get to the "K" so fast.
All 5 instructors hauled it up to the store, and we bought out the entire inventory. (2 apiece.)

Mine shoots very well. (One does. The other has never been fired.)
One of these little 'dandies' will eventually become my youngest son's. The other, I'm gonna 'tinker' with. Stock, barrel, etc.

I MUST admit, though. I only bought mine because I was getting a little worried that one of the 'students' in the H.S. Class would drop my Remington 541-T.

Guys, to me, this is the best little .22 rifle I have ever owned, or shot!! I've had the Marlin bolt gun, but, this Remington is fantastic!! (Don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing any of 'em.)
It looks like a mdl 700 that hasn't grown up yet.
Shoots like a dream. I put a Leuopold 3x9x40 scope on it, and it will group 5 shots into one (ragged) hole at 50 yds! (Federal 'Hi-Power' .22s.)

I'm eventually gonna add a Marlin lever .22 to the safe, along with a Winchester .22 lever gun.

(Can't get enough .22s.)
Just my 2¢.