1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

HELP!! Charging SYSTEM!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2003, 12:39 AM
jhforman
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HELP!! Charging SYSTEM!!

Ok guys here is the deal i have a 97 expedition the other night me and my buddy were installing a head unit no big deal !! i have done it a thousand times !! well after we are done we decide we are going to take it for a test drive !! im on my way down the road and i notice all my lights are getting ver very dim i look at the battery gauge and it is on 8 so i panice take the truck back home and put it on the battery charger!! good i made it back home and the turck didnt die !! so i got out the next morning the truck fires right up no problem !! well i drive it to work only to notice that it is going dead on me again !! so now i decide im going to take it to an auto parts store and have the battery tested !! well it test to be a bad battery i put the new battery in and wallla the truck runs again !! yippie i thought !! boy was i wrong i was on my way home from work that night and then the damn lights start to dim again !! well i got it to the 24 hour autozone and pull the alternator off the truck they test it and the alternator is bad so i spend the 140 bucks for the new one put it on while autozone is charging the battery i start the turck up and everything seems fine so i continue on my merry way home !! i make it home without the lights dimming or anything and the battery gauge was not dropping like mad !! so im hpapy now i think all my problems are over !! my little brother borrowed the expy today and drove it to work !!! well i get a phone call only to be told that my truck is dead again !! i got to my brothers work and get the truck jumpstarted and then went to my friends house we did some testing and found that the alternator is not charging so i thak the alternator off and take it back to autozone in hopes that i got a bum alternator !! well i put the new one on only to find that it is not charging either !! well now im thinking man i have a dead wire somewhere !! i check the 12vconstant and there is juice there everything is good on that end !! so now i pull the connector off and i start checking the wires on it !! i have 3 wires on this cnnector an orange green and whit if i remember correctly !! i trace the wires and start checking them !! the one that has the small fuse in it checked out perfect i have juice on both sides of the fuse !! i follow the other wire and find that it goes to a connector and then into the main wiring harness for the truck(if i followed it properly !!) now the only wire that i have left is the white one and i was told that it ran the startor or its called a stotor wire !! i cant get at it well enough to test it !! but after all this teststing and veifying that everything is good i still cant get my alternator to charge my truck battery up !! PLEASE IF YOU KNOW ANYTHING THAT I AM OVERLOOKING LET ME KJNOW I AM GOING NUTZ I HAVENT OWNED THE VEHICLE FOR MORE THEN A MONTH AND I HAVE YET TO PUT A THOUSAND MILES ON IT !! i need help if anyone knows !!

THanks Inadvance !!
John H. FOrman

Old 08-17-2003, 07:11 AM
Rtpjunior
Senior User
HELP!! Charging SYSTEM!!

Okay, first check the primary battery fuses. They are located in a black box, on the pass. side of the firewall. The cover just pops off, and there are 2 175 amp fuses inside. Unbolt the fuses, and check with a continuity tester. You must remove them for an accurate test. Good Luck, and let us know.....

Old 08-17-2003, 07:25 AM
HomerWinzlow
Cargo Master
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
HELP!! Charging SYSTEM!!

I dont know if you checked it, but at the same location that Rtpjunior mentioned where the two 175Amp Mega fuses are mounted, there is also a 20 amp alternator field mini fuse at the base of the Mega Fuse block behind a little black cover. If its blown your alternator will not work.

Old 08-17-2003, 11:19 AM
jhforman
Freshman User
HELP!! Charging SYSTEM!!

Originally posted by Rtpjunior
Okay, first check the primary battery fuses. They are located in a black box, on the pass. side of the firewall. The cover just pops off, and there are 2 175 amp fuses inside. Unbolt the fuses, and check with a continuity tester. You must remove them for an accurate test. Good Luck, and let us know.....
Check for continuity? what should it be reading? is it possible for me to still be getting juice at both terminals of those big fuses even if one is blwon??

Thanks,
John

Old 08-18-2003, 09:34 AM
ineedashot
Senior User
HELP!! Charging SYSTEM!!

Should read continuity, just means that there is a circuit, whatever amps you are sending should be arriving at the other side...

Old 08-18-2003, 09:34 AM
ineedashot
Senior User
HELP!! Charging SYSTEM!!

Should read continuity, just means that there is a circuit, whatever amps you are sending should be arriving at the other side...

Old 11-28-2004, 08:20 PM
joenamyc
New User
So what was the fix for this?