1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

'48-52 Tranmission cover

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2004, 11:06 AM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,051 Likes on 802 Posts
'48-52 Tranmission cover

I found this while surfing eBay today:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=34206

But beware, there has been discussions about this seller, he seems to go by different names. I remember there being something about him on the Ford Barn board and I found another at:

http://www.oldgas.com/shoptalk/ubb/F...ML/001545.html

What I am saying is if this guy has a reproduction cover there are others being made so you might want to check around at your regular parts places and see what they have. I have seen used ones go almost as much as what this seller buy it now price is.

Old 11-17-2004, 03:08 PM
barry
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bob's right about this guy. He's the most disorganized person ever. I ordered one of his catalogs and sent the money to him at one address he specified and then it turns out he's in Arizona now. It took over 2 months to finally get the catalog! He had more excuses as to why he hadn't sent it. I must have sent 4-5 emails to find out why. Once I recieved it, I almost had a heart attack on his prices. Granted, he has some stuff no one else has, but I don't see the justifacation on the high prices. I would really be careful on ordering from him. There was a real long posting on FordBarn on his dealing and most were not complimentery to him. I'm not calling him a thief, but I'd beware!!

Barry

50 F-1

Old 11-17-2004, 05:36 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Barry,

Do you have any idea if this guy is making this cover, or any of his other parts, himself or is he buying from someone reproducing them like Carpenter? I would think the tooling for stamping would cost a small fortune. I like the idea of not having the holes prepunched, it allows for use in any of the models which each have their own shifter and brake handle locations. Like I said in my previous post, I have seen used ones in good shape go for almost as much as this guy's "Buy it now!" price. I'm cheap, I usually patch up what I have instead of buying repro.

Old 11-17-2004, 05:47 PM
barry
Postmaster
I do the same thing. I repair an item if I can. THat's what a restoration is, reusing the old, original parts. Now adays, you can almost build a new vehicle with repo parts. I haven't looked lately at Carpenters or any other catalog to see what's new. I agree, tooling on a part like that is expensive. I wonder if they're imports from China. That's about the only place you can get anything made cheaply. Just another nail in our economic coffin! I've got several of those covers here that need fixing. I have to pick the best and get it welded. At his prices, you'd end up with a million dollar truck!

Barry

50 F-1

Old 11-17-2004, 06:30 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
I saw this guy's post on the Ford Bard a few months back for his catalog, and the responses, and I have seen him list them on eBay too. At $7 a pop I think it's way too high, again I'm cheap, I don't like paying for catalogs. I realize they cost bucks to print but I would rather get them free or visit a web site.

I was just wondering if he says in his catalog if he produces his own parts or not.

I agree too it would cost a fortune to use repo parts to rebuild a truck. I find it amazing how much people are willing to pay for parts on eBay, repo or used. I have seen repo parts sell on eBay at higher prices than what the repo parts dealers sell them for. I think eBay has done a lot to drive the cost of the hobby way up.

Old 11-17-2004, 08:17 PM
barry
Postmaster
Bob, I looked thru the catalog and he claimed to be the answer to your parts needs.... I looked at the prices and put the catalog in the ole' circular file! I paid $4.00 on Ebay for it. He had them under a "buy it now" listing. I doubt he makes his own stuff. I saw the post you had on Bonusbuilt.com and looked at the page you had there. I'll bet it's the same one. He might be buying them and re-selling them or buying from the same producer and making more. I know Carpenter and Dales in Okla make most of the stuff out there. But Who knows, they could be china made.
Hopefully some more people will post about their experiences with the guy. I'm like you, leery of this guy......

Barry

50 F-1

Old 11-19-2004, 08:33 AM
1952henry
Fleet Mechanic
Received 152 Likes on 92 Posts
Thumbs down

Some time ago he had a spare tire carrier listed on ebay. Claimed it was nos. Problem was, it was as nice and new looking as the above tranny cover. I posted on Early Ford V-8 to inform that the nos title was phony. This "olparts" nut claimed he meant to list it as a repop. He also posts over there as "far_tech", "ford_tech", and "bill_board". This last moniker was used because he had nos automobile advertising posters that were meant to be plastered on billboards. These supposedly nos posters were from the 30's - 50's.
Me thinks he is as about as genuine as frog's hair.

Old 11-19-2004, 11:02 AM
JDMick
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down

I didn't see Bob's post here when I started my thread yesterday about this cover and the spare tire carrier that http://www.northernclassictrucks.com/ makes and sells. I wonder if they know what this guy is doing. At least it doesn't look like anyone here has been fooled by this clown! Apparently Northern Classic Trucks doesn't sell to Carpenter, SVF, or any of the other big parts places or this guy's charade wouldn't work at all.