6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

TOW/HAUL- any way to set as start up default???

Old 12-05-2004, 03:11 PM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 57 Likes on 30 Posts
If you want write it all up with parts, instructions and all....we'll put it it in the Tech Folder

Old 12-05-2004, 05:28 PM
Brian460
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I read the link to the Brake Max Controller, but I guess I do not fully understand what it does. The features it includes I thought were part of tow-haul mode anyways.

I have noticed however that sometimes the 2-1 down shift is rather harsh, with the all other conditions being equal.

Old 12-06-2004, 10:44 AM
Hayapower!
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Brian460
I read the link to the Brake Max Controller, but I guess I do not fully understand what it does. The features it includes I thought were part of tow-haul mode anyways.

I have noticed however that sometimes the 2-1 down shift is rather harsh, with the all other conditions being equal.
From what I read, they are 'laying claim' sorta under the Brake Max Controller name for the Tow/Haul feature.. Saving brakes and such.. When I talked to the tech/saleman he didn't offer up any other features other than that the controller just cycled 'to default' the system after a start up..

........................HP..............

Old 12-06-2004, 09:01 PM
me1mckee
Senior User
Tim, I have the details at work, wire colors and such. Do you want me to PM you or put it here, I can do whichever is easiest for you to paste.

Old 12-06-2004, 09:04 PM
me1mckee
Senior User
OBTW, the price for the relay is about 65 bucks and the adapter was around 12 I think. I will get the details and where to get them on here tomorrow, I forgot the papers at work. It takes about an hour and a half for someone with decent mechanical sense, maybe longer for others. The wires are accessed easiest by pulling the dash and tilting the instrument panel out, but I'll give Tim all the instructions later for the Tech folder. I have all the info. for '03's, '04's, and even '05's, which of course are different.

Old 12-06-2004, 10:16 PM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Originally Posted by me1mckee
Tim, I have the details at work, wire colors and such. Do you want me to PM you or put it here, I can do whichever is easiest for you to paste.
Do it all here and I will move it into the TF....tanks

Old 12-12-2004, 09:19 PM
me1mckee
Senior User
Thumbs up Details for tech folder. Thanks Tim.

Tow/ Haul mode on start- up automatically.

Purpose:

Provides improved engine braking during deceleration. Prolongs shifts to minimize transmission clutch slippage and to maximize power during acceleration. Minimizes gear searching by holding the current gear longer while pulling under a load. With trucks weighing more than 10,000 lbs every day because of equipment installed on them, this Tow/ Haul option should be enabled at all times to save transmission wear and to reduce brake use and wear. Ford Motor Company does not currently have a separate program designed to accomplish this and as such the consumer is left to devise their own method of ensuring that this option is used without the need for driver input every time the truck is started, which as many of us have seen usually is not done, the drivers just forget to push the button every time they get in the trucks.

From
www.FordVehicles.com -- Tow-Haul Mode: The new powertrain features a "tow-haul mode" that, once activated, can help increase a driver's feeling of control when towing large loads up and down steep grades and automatically minimizes shifts and maximizes available torque. Upon descent, the tow-haul mode utilizes engine braking to help extend brake-life and improve driver control.

From
www.FordVehicles.com -- With the new Torqshift<SUP>TM</SUP> 5-speed automatic all electro-mechanical shifts are optimized with pure electronic shift controls for more responsiveness. When the convenient "tow/haul mode is selected, unwanted gear-search on steep grades is eliminated. The durable and proven TorqShift™ transmission was specifically designed to handle the high-torque performance of the 6.0L turbo diesel. Includes a selectable Tow/Haul Mode that compensates for altitude, grade and load conditions.

Parts required:

(1) Time Delay Relay attained from Grainger (972-988-3321) part no. 6C758 at a cost of $62.65.

(1) Relay Mount Block from Grainger part no. 5X852 at a cost of $4.37.

(1) Wire crimping tool

(10) Feet of 14 - 16 AWG wire equal lengths of white and tan wires

(1) Foot of 14 - 16 AWG black wire for ground

(Misc.) wire ends, butt splices and wire ties

(1) roll of electrical tape

(2) #6 bolts 1 ½” long, washers and nuts to attach relay mount to dash frame

Wire Identification:

Tow/ Haul wire can be located at the PCM, the bottom of the steering column and at the top of the steering column where they enter/ exit the shifter arm. The latter is where I accessed them, but any of these locations are viable.

2003 and 2004 models-

12V+ to switch: White wire with Light Green stripe

Signal to PCM: Tan wire with white stripe

2005 models-

12V+ to switch: White wire with Purple stripe

Signal to PCM: Tan wire with White stripe

Relay and Mounting block Identification:

Verify relay is an Omron model H3CR-A8/ -A8S and that it has a “one- shot output” operation. It will have round pins in a circle at the bottom. The mounting block will match these pins and have four screw connections on two sides opposite each other.

Wire Access:

Access wires at PCM if you have access to the wiring diagrams and pin locations. These can be found at:
www.fleet.ford.com/truckbbas and follow the links needed to locate them.

Access wires at base of steering column. This is quite difficult because it is a large wire bundle and it is in a very small space with very little room to move to cut and splice the wires together.

Access the wires at the top of the steering column at the base of the shifter handle. This requires more obvious disassembly of the dash but provides an open space to cut and splice the wires and easy identification of the wires and verification of voltage and connections. Instructions for this are as follows:

Remove dash panel and covering. Disconnect all connecting plugs and wires, etc. to fully remove the dash panel. Remove the steering column covers by removing the 3 phillips head screws from the bottom and pull off the ignition key rotator. Remove the four bolts holding the instrument cluster panel and pull the panel up away from the steering column. DO NOT disconnect the plugs from the instrument cluster. Locate the applicable wires at the shifter arm base for your model year. After following the directions under “connections”, reassemble the dash in reverse order.

Connections:

Cut both wires at your preferred access point, splice in your like- colored wires with solid butt connectors. Route the free end of both wires to a clean dry area. The space behind the large removable fuse block cover is easily accessible. Make a short jumper wire with the wire used for the 12V+ connection. Connect both ends of this jumper to #7 and #8 on the relay mount base. Connect the 12V+ wire to post #8. Connect the signal to PCM wire to post #6. Attach the ground to post #2 and to a solid chassis ground. The right side rail at the bottom of the dash has numerous spots to connect to for ground. If you read the directions with the relay, they will confirm these connections for a “one- shot output” which is mode “J” and will explain how to set the mode and adjust the time delay on your relay. Allow enough delay to cycle the glow plugs and start the engine on a cold day, 12 seconds seems to be long enough on the trucks that I have checked. It will provide a single impulse each time the ignition is cycled off and back on, effectively turning Tow/ Haul on each time the truck is shut off and restarted with the ignition key.

Completion:

Verify operation by starting the truck and waiting the preset time and checking that the Tow/ Haul light in the dash illuminates. Reinstall your dash, etc. Mount relay and relay mounting base securely and tie up wires. Ensure all ends are protected with tape or heat shrink tubing. Wire loom provides a clean, secure covering for the longer wires. Reinstall the fuse block access cover and clean up.

Old 12-13-2004, 01:17 AM
Daryl Hunter
Cargo Master
Super write-up me1mckee!

Thanks!

Old 12-13-2004, 06:00 PM
me1mckee
Senior User
Sure and by the way, congrats on the new job! Great to see that this site is growing and I hope to be able to help with alot more as it is needed. Do you think we could put some info. on the tech folder about the 2 speed throttle set up in '03s/ '04s and even the variable options in the '05s? I did some research on that a while back, but don't know if it's something alot of people would be interested in. Let me know and I'm sure I can find the thread. Again, glad to see that you are movin' up. Mat

Old 12-13-2004, 06:42 PM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Daryl now has the access to get in the tech folder and change, add, move, hide, shift, copy actually anything he and all of you would like to do...he and I still have a few things to get set up for him....hopefully by the weekend he will have everything he needs.

Old 12-13-2004, 06:45 PM
me1mckee
Senior User
Great to hear. I hope the transition goes easily, thanks for your help Tim.

Old 12-13-2004, 07:27 PM
Daryl Hunter
Cargo Master
I'll start fiddling with moving this thread tonight or maybe tomorrow.

I'll try to do it without deleting the whole 6.0 forum or something bad like that

Daryl

Old 12-13-2004, 07:29 PM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
ok...I can live with that....hehe

Old 12-14-2004, 12:10 AM
Daryl Hunter
Cargo Master
OK, added link to the tech folder.

Again, great write-up Mat!

Daryl

Old 12-14-2004, 07:14 AM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Dang this guys is good, took me months to get it to work.....overnight for him

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: TOW/HAUL- any way to set as start up default???