Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Unsafe at any speed......BOOK!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2004, 07:38 AM
cleatus12r
Butt-Head
Received 1,970 Likes on 1,105 Posts
Thumbs down Unsafe at any speed......BOOK!!

No, this isn't a Corvair I'm talking about today. It's a rant about people who modify things in a very unsafe and potentially dangerous way.

I know that most of you are pretty familiar with the 'scary steering' webpage and get a lot of laughs about some of the STUPID things people do to get lift or make their vehicles driveable after they do lift it. If you're not familiar with the web page I'm referring to, go to google and type in "scary steering" then click on the page that has 'taco' in the address (it'll be the first page that is listed). Then prepare to be amazed by the **crafty** work that is portrayed.

Anyways, I was driving around last night and on my way home I noticed a 77-78 K5 Blazer sitting on 44 inch Boggers. Actually I have seen it before and looked at it very closely then but never thought much of it until now because I hadn't seen it in a while and figured the owner finally ran it off of the road....no such luck. This guy is like the hunter that shoots the biggest buck/bull he can find and drapes the carcass across the hood and uses the head and antlers as a hood ornament. He makes ALL hunters look bad. Sure, give the animal rights activists some ammunition, jackass.

Back to my story......
This thing is SCARY. Not scary in a "I'm bigger than you." kinda way, either. Scary as in any moment this thing will leave it's tragectory and run somebody over and kill people because of how it's put together. Anybody who knows ANYTHING about lifting a vehicle properly will look at this and shudder with fear. The problem is, NOBODY around here knows anything about such vehicles. People will stop and stare and go, "Wow, that thing is huge, I bet it goes anywhere!!!" Not having the faintest idea of what butchery lies beneath, they will assume that this is the norm, the way it's supposed to be.

Which brings me to my next point....
When this vehicle finally does leave the intended path and someone dies because of it, EVERYONE will automatically assume that ALL these huge vehicles are dangers to other motorists. Then come the lift laws, tire size regulations, the class-action lawsuit lawers, etc. etc. This guy is going to ruin it for all of us. Us Montanans anyways.

Here's a list of the unsafe stuff on this rig:
1. First off is the 8.5" BODY LIFT. TWO steel blocks/tubing stacked on top of eachother!! I guess it's not so bad until you look at the bolts he has through them.....Grade 3 3/8" bolts (No markings on the heads!!!) I guess those were the longest ones he could get at the hardware store.

2. The radiator is tie-wired to the core support because of the extreme body lift. Nothing says butchery like tie-wiring a radiator in.......

3. Cross-over steering? NOPE. Big 'ol drop pitman and a torch-bent draglink.

4. Axles? Dana 44 and 12 bolt (6-lug). Wouldn't want to put puny tires like 44 inch boggers on anything heavier. Oh yeah, and it's got Eagle 589s on it, too.

5. Not safety related, but his transfer case shift lever only protrudes through the floor about and inch or so (hard to shift like that), but it's ok because he doesn't even have a front driveshaft.

Sorry for the book, guys. I had to get that off my chest. It's been bothering me all night long. I can't wait for the bureaucrats to be knockin' on my door telling me to lower my truck because it's "unsafe at any speed".

Cody

Last edited by cleatus12r; 11-08-2004 at 07:44 AM.
Old 11-08-2004, 09:40 AM
nick88f150
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm sure he'll reconsider when he slams on the brakes and him and the body keeps going, and the radiator is a half mile back one of these days.

Old 11-08-2004, 10:15 AM
ivanribic
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I tried puling up Montana's administrative codes but their site isn't working correctly. You should talk to state police about it though. There has to be a way they can deem it "unsafe" and take it off the road until the idiot does it right. I can't believe he has 8" of body lift. What an idiot! You're right though, when that thing crashes and burns it's going to make all big trucks look bad.

Old 11-08-2004, 02:10 PM
monsterbaby
Hotshot

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
i've seen 8" of "body lift" but never that bad then one I seen was they guy had a 2wd truck, and bought a 4wd with a good running gear but no body worth saving so he unbolted all the running gear from the 2 wd and bolted, welded, and plated the frame ontop of the 4wd frame actually did a decent job on putting it together. but I don't like any kinda blocks be it body or springs, and personally thing they should be banned (wedge blocks to correct angles is an exception as they aren't that tall)
I hade to come up with about a 3in body lift on the rear of my cab to make it level (ranger, and F150 frames don't have the same bends) but even that is done with a 2x3 tubing clear across the frame like a cross member with 1/4 plate welded to the ends, and bolted to the frame with 1/2 grade 8 bolts, and poly bushings mounted on top for the body to sit on.
YOu didn't mention does he have a suspension lift included with the stupid body lift? Atleast a it's a chebbie, if I see a Ford like that might have to revoke his right to have an oval on his truck

Old 11-08-2004, 08:32 PM
rmroost
Junior User
are eagle 589's bad wheels or just bad on 44's? i have 589's on 35's i just wanted to make sure that its alright

Old 11-08-2004, 08:38 PM
cleatus12r
Butt-Head
Received 1,970 Likes on 1,105 Posts
No, man, there's nothing 'wrong' with them....it's just that they're not rated for the kind of loads 44 inch tires put on them. I suppose on a Blazer they're ok because the rig doesn't weigh very much. It's just that I'm used to running around with a 9000+ pound pickup and it ain't cheap to go cheap, if you know what I mean. Welds all around please!!

Cody

Old 11-08-2004, 09:36 PM
rmroost
Junior User
ok cool just making sure. i hear ya. unfortunately i came with eagles instead of weld wheels.

Old 11-08-2004, 11:40 PM
mako5972
Elder User
The dude sounds clueless, and that is what is so scary.

Old 11-09-2004, 10:29 AM
proeliator
Post Fiend
Great post. I see more big booty fab trucks than soundly fabbbed ones and it kills me. Like Cleatus pointed out, when they fail it makes us all look bad, and you'd better believe effect laws.

Old 11-09-2004, 10:31 AM
Texan1983
Posting Guru
and the sad part is... it's really not that hard to do it right! just a little common sense would go a long way...

Old 11-09-2004, 06:51 PM
94steve
Freshman User
Dude!!!!!!!! Very Scary. Holy Crap. And The White Cheby, Very Bad.

Old 11-09-2004, 09:30 PM
gregm
Junior User
Could a picture be posted of this idiot so we can all get a laugh?Gregm

Old 03-08-2005, 09:37 AM
rebocardo
Post Fiend
I was looking at this link and can not see enough detail. What are those two skinny bars going from the driver's side to pass. side at 45 degree angles. One is red and the other black.

The black one is coming off the pitman arm???

https://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gal...d=9746&width=2

Old 03-08-2005, 10:24 AM
ivanribic
Post Fiend
It looks to me like 1 is a trac bar (not a bad idea for those banana springs) and one is a drag link.

Old 03-08-2005, 04:54 PM
RawPower
Postmaster
They need to make any body lift over 4" illegal...I would say ANY body lift illegal, but some people need 1 or 2" for swaping I-4's out for FRIGGIN 514's...

Stupid idiots these day...

Quick Reply: Unsafe at any speed......BOOK!!