1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Electrical Gremlins- PW, PDL, Wipers- 99 F250 PSD, anyone know anything???

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2004, 10:33 PM
Fastech1
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Electrical Gremlins- PW, PDL, Wipers- 99 F250 PSD, anyone know anything???

Hi all,

Just bought a project F250 PSD 4x4 Lariat. It has been mistreated- bed all dented, leather trashed, smells like wet *** inside, corded bald tires, dirt EVERYWHERE- and I am slowly fixing it all. I have an electrical issue that I can't help thinking may be all interrelated, so I was looking for someone who might have some technical knowledge or prior experience with this problem.

My power door locks make a noise like they are attempting to work, and the driver door lock plunger moves up and down about 1/4 of the distance it should, but never fully locks or unlocks. The other 3 doors don't seem to move at all. My windows don't roll up or down, though I can hear the power window relay in the underdash fuse box click when I first start pressing the button. After a few attempts, it no longer makes the clicking sound anymore, until it has cooled down several minutes. When I first got it, the passenger front door window actually rolled down 1/2 way, but it took all day to roll back up, 1/2 inch at a time, waiting for said relay to cool off I guess. The wipers or windshield washers don't do anything. All fuses appear to be fine. Also, the dome light doesn't work with either the switch or when you open a door, although the map lights work fine.

Is there a common module which controls some or all of these? Any other guesses? I wondered if the truck had been underwater and suffered electrical corrosion damage or something, but so far I have found no sign of that.

Be gentle- it's my first post!

Thanks,
Brian Flanagan
Fastech Motorsports, LLC

Old 11-06-2004, 10:45 PM
mech2161
Posting Guru
I would start by removing the door panels. If it's that bad in the cab who knows what you'll find in there. Clean and lube work wonders.

Old 11-07-2004, 10:40 AM
cangim
Postmaster
I agree with Mech2161 with the doors. You can pull all of your lock actuators off as well. (it is easier if you take the outside door handle off first, gives a little more room) More than likely you have a bunch of gunk in the actuators or they may just be done, I have one on order to replace the front passenger door, it will arrive on the 10th, also the lock actuators are seemilingly being a common problem. As for the windows, there is a 25A (think is 25 not sure) resetable breaker in the fuse box under the hood, you may try a new breaker, it could be damaged that it is not allowing the amount of current to pass, heating up prematurely and then tripping, hence the waiting for the relay to cool off. The dome light probably is burn't out, is your truck a reg, ext., or crew cab? Reason for asking is on the Crew Cabs there are two sets of dome lights. Anyrate, use some small blade screw drivers and you can pop the cover of the dome light off, be really easy to tell then if the lamp is burnt out or not.

Let us know what you find behind your mystery door panels, and if there is anything else we might be able to assist with. Congrats on the truck and Welcome to FTE

Old 11-07-2004, 12:31 PM
Fastech1
New User
Originally Posted by cangim
I agree with Mech2161 with the doors. You can pull all of your lock actuators off as well. (it is easier if you take the outside door handle off first, gives a little more room) More than likely you have a bunch of gunk in the actuators or they may just be done, I have one on order to replace the front passenger door, it will arrive on the 10th, also the lock actuators are seemilingly being a common problem. As for the windows, there is a 25A (think is 25 not sure) resetable breaker in the fuse box under the hood, you may try a new breaker, it could be damaged that it is not allowing the amount of current to pass, heating up prematurely and then tripping, hence the waiting for the relay to cool off. The dome light probably is burn't out, is your truck a reg, ext., or crew cab? Reason for asking is on the Crew Cabs there are two sets of dome lights. Anyrate, use some small blade screw drivers and you can pop the cover of the dome light off, be really easy to tell then if the lamp is burnt out or not.

Let us know what you find behind your mystery door panels, and if there is anything else we might be able to assist with. Congrats on the truck and Welcome to FTE
Thanks guys! I wil be delving into it this week, we'll see what we find. I saw the circuit breaker and figured on trying to replace it first and see what happens with the windows. It's a crew cab, btw, and neither dome works. if the door pin switch is bad, I wonder if that would keep the switch from turning them on?

Thanks for the help!

Brian Flanagan
Fastech Motorsports, LLC

Old 11-07-2004, 03:34 PM
Calli
Senior User

Brian, I just completed a fix on my "99 driver side window that has come and gone for the last year.Take off door panel and remove water barrier paper. Remove three bolts that hold window motor to door, (7mm) unplug and remove motor and drive gear assembly. Remove two torx bolts to separate the motor from gear drive. Check for moisture in motor (rust), spray with WD-40 and now mine works perfect. Hope you have same luck. Carroll Allison

Old 11-08-2004, 05:39 PM
ALF1999
Junior User
GEM Module

Replaced the gem module in mine last year was told it effected PW, PDL, and wipers, It should show up in trouble code in computer, Bad wiper motor caused it to go out, good luck

</P>

Last edited by ALF1999; 11-08-2004 at 05:43 PM. Reason: incomplete
Old 11-08-2004, 08:41 PM
Fastech1
New User
Originally Posted by ALF1999
Replaced the gem module in mine last year was told it effected PW, PDL, and wipers, It should show up in trouble code in computer, Bad wiper motor caused it to go out, good luck

I was told the same thing today by a friend who is somewhat knowledgeable on the subject, so will be checking that tomorrow or Wed depending on schedule. Thanks!!!