Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

Ford seems to have better starters, alternators..ect...

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2004, 10:31 PM
P51D Mustang
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Ford seems to have better starters, alternators..ect...

I recently had to rebuild the Motorcraft starter off my 85 5.0 Mustang. What is amazing is this is the first time I have had problem in 19 years and 340,000 miles of service. Come to think of it, I still have never had a problem with the alternator ( knock on wood!) or the AC compressor at this point. My dad's former GM car went through at least two alternators, and an AC compressior by 150,000 miles. The old Dodge 1/2 ton pickup I had as a kid, went through starters and alternators like it was going out of style. IIRC, even the 88 Toyoda pickup I had once, had to have both the starter and alternator replaced by 110,000 miles. I don't recall ever having to pull starter or alternator on the old 79 F350 in over a decade of hard use.

Kudos to Ford.

Old 11-07-2004, 06:41 AM
Rocky J
Elder User
For many years I had constant issues with starters. I think I put a total of 6 in my '88 F150 as well as a couple in my '78 F250 and one in my '79 F350. Back then they were cheap, less than $100 and three bolts.

A buddy with an Expy recently had an alternator go out while on a road trip and it cost about $700 for a replacement. I'm glad they don't go out very often!

Old 11-07-2004, 08:45 AM
bigbluebronco43
Elder User
I had plenty of alternator issues with my 92 Bronco until I went with an autozone cheapy and it worked fine until I sold it.

Old 11-07-2004, 09:39 AM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
How does the design of the two (Ford Chevy) differ...aren’t all alternators created equal.

Old 11-07-2004, 10:17 AM
Bob Ayers
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Tim Lamkin
How does the design of the two (Ford Chevy) differ...aren’t all alternators created equal.
No, the built in regulators are the main difference. GM has some alternators that the regulator can't handle current transients. DON'T EVER jump start another vehicle with your engine running!!! It is ok to run your vehicle to charge the battery in the vehicle, but shut your engine off before trying to start the vehicle.

Old 11-07-2004, 11:04 AM
LilFord4x4
Freshman User
I don't know how either vehicle manufactures are different (GM, Ford). But I can say that Ford electrical systems as a whole seem to be better in my opinion and observations. My brother's grand am gt has blow an alternator, starter, blew about 6 fuses and pops light bulbs left and right. It's a good month when we don't have to take off that back to put in a new light. My ranger which I drive like I've stolen it and ride with the lights on all the time have never had an electrical issue (not even a lights out) for the year and odd months I've had it. My dad's F-150 has only had one issue. He had a brain fart and washed out the engine bay after it was running for a good hour. The coil pack decided it was time to part with the truck. Ford fixed it for free however even though his truck is at 60k miles and 3 years old.

MY girlfriend's dad's silverado (02 with a lift and 35's with flowmasters) has stalled out 3 times in the winter on him WHILE driving. Has had problems getting started (and he parks in the garage). He had a new starter put in it this summer after it went. My girlfriend's car (97 grand prix) had her alternator go out this past spring. Had to replece a few fuses after that too.

Before I go look at a GM again I hope they seriously start to address these issues. Chevy has built a lot of good trucks in the past but after the experiences from school and my gf's dad I am extremely glad I picked a ranger over a s-10.

Old 11-07-2004, 11:26 AM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
DON'T EVER jump start another vehicle with your engine running!!!
I wonder how many know this...

Old 11-07-2004, 01:46 PM
BigF350
Hotshot
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Tim Lamkin
DON'T EVER jump start another vehicle with your engine running!!!
I wonder how many know this...
I certainly didn't, and I have jump started probably a few 100 cars this way.
Does it overload the regulator with the sudden current draw???

Old 11-07-2004, 02:30 PM
Bob Ayers
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by BigF350
I certainly didn't, and I have jump started probably a few 100 cars this way.
Does it overload the regulator with the sudden current draw???
Yes, not only the regulator semiconductor components, it also puts a stress on the rectifier diodes

Old 11-07-2004, 02:49 PM
BigF350
Hotshot
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob Ayers
Yes, not only the regulator semiconductor components, it also puts a stress on the rectifier diodes
Thanks Bob, will remember that for next time...

Old 11-07-2004, 06:11 PM
Beast12
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow, I NEVER knew this. So you should ALWAYS jump a dead vehicle with the live vehicle off? I have even read owner's manuals and they say to leave the vehicle running but with the heater fan on (just in case something blows, it will be your heater fan fuse).

-Matt

Old 11-07-2004, 06:43 PM
AxisAllies
Junior User
Well Im no expert, BUT, this little bit of handy info won't change the way I jump a vehicle. I've jumped WAY TOO MANY and have plenty of practical experience doing it my way. Won't change now. Literally HUNDREDS upon HUNDREDS of times, with many different kinds of vehicles - both personal use, and business trucks, cars, suvs. Can't even recollect how many cars I've jumped with the tow truck. BMW's Mercedes, Caddy's, Lincolns, Mazda, Ford, GM, Chrysler, Nissan, Toyota, Dodge, Audi, Kia, Saturn, the list goes on and on and on. NEVER any problems with ANY jump vehicle OR jumped vehicle - EVER. MAYBE if you tried jumping a turbo diesel with a running Taurus you could have a problem - but I even doubt that. I've personally seen my brother jump his own Dina coach bus with his Mitsubishi Galant. Dina has a series 60, the Galant has a 3.? V6. Jumping a 24 volt system with a puny 6 cylinder. Unreal but it worked - no damage to either vehicle either.

Old 11-07-2004, 07:41 PM
ford390gashog
Fleet Owner

Received 519 Likes on 398 Posts
Originally Posted by AxisAllies
Well Im no expert, BUT, this little bit of handy info won't change the way I jump a vehicle. I've jumped WAY TOO MANY and have plenty of practical experience doing it my way. Won't change now. Literally HUNDREDS upon HUNDREDS of times, with many different kinds of vehicles - both personal use, and business trucks, cars, suvs. Can't even recollect how many cars I've jumped with the tow truck. BMW's Mercedes, Caddy's, Lincolns, Mazda, Ford, GM, Chrysler, Nissan, Toyota, Dodge, Audi, Kia, Saturn, the list goes on and on and on. NEVER any problems with ANY jump vehicle OR jumped vehicle - EVER. MAYBE if you tried jumping a turbo diesel with a running Taurus you could have a problem - but I even doubt that. I've personally seen my brother jump his own Dina coach bus with his Mitsubishi Galant. Dina has a series 60, the Galant has a 3.? V6. Jumping a 24 volt system with a puny 6 cylinder. Unreal but it worked - no damage to either vehicle either.
its not possible to jumpstart a 24 volt system with a 12volt system

Old 11-07-2004, 07:45 PM
AxisAllies
Junior User
Originally Posted by ford390gashog
KNEW I'd get this. Again - I'm no expert - but it DID happen.

Old 11-07-2004, 07:53 PM
WillyB
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by ford390gashog
Sure it is - on the older big trucks the only place they use 24 volts is at the starter - everything else is 12 volts. Your jump carries the load for the 12 volt part, and the truck's batteries do the cranking.

Most of the time the truck has two 12 volt batteries in series - just jump one of them at a time. I can remember jumping farm tractors with two pickups - one tied to each battery.

But I agree - putting a 12 volt battery across a 24 volt battery is not such a good thing to do.

Quick Reply: Ford seems to have better starters, alternators..ect...