2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'04' 5.4L First Oil Change

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2004, 01:41 PM
Mathwiz
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'04' 5.4L First Oil Change

Just hit 1k on my 04 Lariat and decided to change out the oil. What an adventure!
Decided to use Motorcraft 5W-20 syn blend and of course a FL 820S oil filter .(I may go with Mobil 0W-20 next time, but this is good oil.)
The adventure is changing out the oil filter. It has a plastic drain pan under it that makes it hard to get to the filter to put a wrench on it to break off seat. What I did was remove the 2 screws that hold the pan on and after putting the strap wrench on the filter case, I placed the drain pan under the filter from the transmission side and let the oil drain into my collection pan. It worked ok, but I am open to suggestions for a better way. Looking at the drain pan I would think if it is left in place, when the filter is removed, it would actually allow oil to drain in two different directions. (front and rear)
Can anyone confirm this.
Anyway, that was my experience. What do you guys think?

Old 11-06-2004, 03:05 PM
cbsaf
Senior User
When I first changed my oil I used a socket style filter turner with about a 8 inch extension and a 3/8 drive ratchet. It was very easy to get to this way. Yes the oil does run off both sides but less on the front for some reason. It looks as though it wouldn't be that way. I did all this while it was on a lift so I got good looks at everything. Just park on a slight upward grade and put the drain at the back of the oil sheild or put something on both sides.

Old 11-06-2004, 04:33 PM
Rocky J
Elder User
I'm going to find a remote oil filter kit somewhere here locally before my next oil change. Just bought my '02 last month and the dealer did my complimentary first oil change this week. I've been spoiled by my 4.0 Ranger for the last 7 years, oil changes are a snap.

Old 11-06-2004, 04:44 PM
whimsey
Senior User
The worst part of the "first" oil change is trying to remove the factory installed oil filter. It appears to be put on without any lubricant on the mounting gasket and overally tightened. If you put the replacement oil filter on with clean oil on the mounting gasket and didn't use a wrench to to tighten it you'll be ok the next time. But it's still a pain compared to my old inline 6 in my '89 .

Whimsey

Old 11-06-2004, 06:31 PM
Mathwiz
Junior User
Thanks cbsaf for the heads up on the socket wrench.
BTW, I prefilled my filter with 8 ounces of oil before screwing it on ( I know it will hold a lot more but I figure every little bit would help) and did not have any spillage while putting it on and did not have any engine clatter noise at startup as was reported in another thread. The pressure guage indicator also came up immediately.

Old 11-06-2004, 08:47 PM
keith Ruge
Senior User
When I got my first oil change,The first one FREE at the dealer, I took it in at 3000. And I watched him and he had a pliers type,too get it off. and he had a hard time getting it off and I asked him whys it so hard.He said they dont put any oil on the casket, of the filter .

Old 11-06-2004, 09:02 PM
cbsaf
Senior User
Originally Posted by Mathwiz
Thanks cbsaf for the heads up on the socket wrench.
BTW, I prefilled my filter with 8 ounces of oil before screwing it on ( I know it will hold a lot more but I figure every little bit would help) and did not have any spillage while putting it on and did not have any engine clatter noise at startup as was reported in another thread. The pressure guage indicator also came up immediately.
Sounds like you got it mastered. Just go and get the correct size filter socket and a long extension to use with a ratchet and the only trouble you will have is figuring out how to contain that oil coming off the crossmember deflector. I would recommend putting your main oil catcher to the rear or the deflector and using a solo plastic cup under the front as you unscrew the filter. Only about 6 ounces come out of the front.

Old 11-06-2004, 09:09 PM
scottie2hottie
Postmaster
I've found IME that a long screwdriver and a hammer make the best 'removal wrench' for the first oil change.....
Scott

Old 11-07-2004, 10:05 AM
bob1044
New User
Belive me the easiest way to get that filter off is to remove the air intake tube. One 10mm bolt holds it in place. With it out of the way you can reach down and get the filter with an ordinary oil filter wrench (strap type), and pull it out thru the frame opening in the front without making too muchof a mess. I'v got a 4x4 screw and even the original factory filter came out easily this way.

Old 11-07-2004, 03:45 PM
Rocky J
Elder User
Boy, that's a dinky little filter they got on this big motor! Why would they skimp with a tiny filter instead of the FL1A like all the other Ford truck motors for the last 30 years? My '84 Honda Prelude had a bigger oil filter! Now I definitely need a remote filter setup so I can adapt a full size filter instead of this miniature thing.

Old 11-07-2004, 05:18 PM
sjbusa
Freshman User
Last week I decided to change my oil & filter. Thanks to this board easily got the oil & filter at Walmart.

Got the truck on the ramp & drained the oil.
Hate to admit but it took me a minute to find the oil filter.
After a few curse words to the genius that decided on this location I jumped in the other car to get a filter removal tool from Pep Boys.

With the tool I had the filter off in no time. Now I see why my dealer took his time getting the original filter off at 1500 miles. Cleaned up the mess & tried to crank her 3 times w/o letting it start. No clatter & she's purring like a kitten.

Old 11-08-2004, 08:03 AM
gpeade
Elder User
Just changed mine for the first time. I used a lift and while I was expecting oil from both side of the deflector pan all of mine came out of the rear. The filter was a little trickie but I was able to reach it with a pliers type wrench from the top side. Turned it a little bit than got the rest from underneath with my hand.
I will have to hand it to Ford for the drain pan. First time I've seen one on a vehicle and it sure makes it nice. The way I see it is I would rather have oil coming out both side of the deflector, than dripping from 15 different parts of the frame and suspension.
I am the type that can't stand grease and oil on a motor and always clean up my mess with brake parts cleaner. With this oil change all I had to do was wipe out the deflector. It's about time they added something useful to a new design!

Old 11-08-2004, 11:06 AM
Waldonian
Freshman User
Just recieved my Fumoto valve for my 5.4 - seems like the coolest thing in the world. Bought one for my Sienna too. Nicely constructed. It replaces the drain plug and sticks out about 1/2 inch further than the stock plug. Can't wait to install it. Should make draining the oil a breeze.

Old 11-08-2004, 07:06 PM
Mathwiz
Junior User
Waldonian
Can you post a link where I can check out the Fumoto valve? I vaguely remember seeing one of these many moons ago. It was on the Amsoil website or something similar.

Thanks

Old 11-08-2004, 08:14 PM
Waldonian
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Mathwiz
Waldonian
Can you post a link where I can check out the Fumoto valve? I vaguely remember seeing one of these many moons ago. It was on the Amsoil website or something similar.

Thanks
Checkout fumotovalve.com - get the whole low-down. I actually got pointed to it from some other thread here on this forum. You may want to do a word search. Members seemed to think highly of it.