Can't get the darn truck started ??

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2004, 10:42 AM
gearshift101
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks 1985 QUADRAVAN

So! if I hook up the timing light and use it just in the cranking of the engine, and not with the engine running. will that tell me if the timing is off? and if so what will I be looking for on the hormonic balance. would the marking change or will it be the same?

Thanks again

AL

Old 11-12-2004, 10:44 AM
1985 Quadravan
Freshman User
You said your plugs were black and wet which suggests a rich condition. Too eliminate the possibility of flooding from the carb, you could take it off (keep the fuel line attached to prevent fuel shooting everywhere) and spray starter fluid in the intake while starting. Just another variable eliminated.

Timing marks are on the harmoinic balancer, the indicator is in a bad spot, above the driveshaft on the passenger side. Stock timing is 8 deg BTC. I don't think the timing changes when starting vs. idle, if so, not by much.

Last edited by 1985 Quadravan; 11-12-2004 at 10:58 AM. Reason: add more info
Old 11-12-2004, 10:54 AM
gearshift101
Senior User
I took the carb off , to check the EGR and EGR spacer the spacer was loaded with carbon, blocking the EGR valve inlet (poppet type) so I can give a shot of either to see if it will start.Thanks for that info, never would have thought of it. But! anything is possible.

AL

Old 11-14-2004, 08:19 PM
gearshift101
Senior User
Can't get the darn truck started

Hello Again!

my 87 f350 w/ 460 eng, and 4180 holley carb

Today I turned the distributor 180*.

This is what I did, I brought the #1 piston to the top of the cylinder, then check the rotor on the distributor cap, to see if it was facing toward the #1 wire on dist cap. It was not! it was facing the opposite way. I then removed the hold down bolt and clamp, and lifted the dist out. Once it was out, I rotated the rotor 180* and then set it back into the place. Now the rotor is facing the #1 spark plug wire on the dist, and the armature was in-line with magnetic pu. then I tried to start it,and had no spark. May have to replace the Ignition control module. I'll check that tomorrow.

But! I need to know if I rotated the dist the right way? it seemed to me like the engine was cranking faster then before, But I also removed the belts from the double pump thermactor system.

Thanks

AL

Old 11-14-2004, 09:47 PM
Stonecoldtx
Junior User
Considering all that you have done, my guess would be that the timing chain has "jumped", and that it's time to replace it.

By the way, the piston will be at TDC TWICE for every single complete revolution of the distributor, so what you have probably done by turning the rotor 180-degrees is set it so that it now fires during the EXHAUST stroke . . .

Old 11-15-2004, 07:31 AM
1985 Quadravan
Freshman User
You just screwed up your timing. The distributor rotates only once for every two turns of the crankshaft, just like your camshaft. So, yes, the piston will reach TDC on two separate occasions.

Old 11-15-2004, 08:31 AM
gearshift101
Senior User
How can I tell if the timing chain is bad???

Before I did anything with the distributor, I got nothing but Backfire, popping, and fire in the carb. This is why I turned the dist 180* some poeple form this forum thought that the timing could have jumped out 180*. that's why I turned it. I don't get it, I had spark, fuel and still could'nt get the truck started, before I turned the distributor.

Old 11-15-2004, 08:35 AM
1985 Quadravan
Freshman User
Backfire, popping, fire in the carb + black deposits on plugs = too much fuel.

Old 11-15-2004, 08:39 AM
gearshift101
Senior User
how do I tell if the timing jump 180*out???

Old 11-15-2004, 09:10 AM
Elder User
If you don't have spark, it doesn't matter if the timing is off or not, check and make sure everything is plugged back up and you didn't pinch any wires...I do it all of the time even when I'm being careful. The reason that the suggestion of 180 off is because you said that he timing mark on the H. balancer was lined up the rotor was on number one. I was trying to explain that just because those two were lined up it doesn't mean that it is timed at #1 on the compression stroke (piston up). I didn't see if you answered whether or not you had taken the distributor out between the time that the vehicle ran and when it wouldn't (not this time when you moved it). To answer your question, bring the mark on the balencer up to line up, pull a spark plug and make sure the piston is up, and then see where your rotor is, it should be coming up on number one. I don't know how many miles are on it but yes it is possible that the timing chain is bad or stretched. If your rotor is turning when you crank it over then it isn't broken but may be off a tooth or two. Do you know the reason for the truck being parked and left originally?

Old 11-15-2004, 09:51 AM
gearshift101
Senior User
I talked to the previous owner, He said he never touched the dist. the reason he parked it was that he bought a new truck. and he also said he had the heads rebuilt about 10 yrs ago, due to over heating the head got worped. He also said he got a new engine block from ford, then installed the rebuilt heads. I remember when he had it running, he was having problems with it stalling. then the last time he took out on the road it about 2 yrs ago it just died so he parked it, and just used it for storage. this truck is a closed box utility/service truck.

Back to the truck not starting!

I never checked any markings on the hor-balancer, I only checked the position of the #1 piston at TDC on the compression stroke, and then I took off the dist cap to check the rotor position it was 180* opposite of the #1 wire on the dist. this is why I turned it. Did I make a boo-boo in pulling the dist and turning it???

Answer me this! I put a breaker bar on the nut of the hormonic balance, and tried to turn it by hand, the nut turned but the balancer did'nt. Why is that?

Thanks for your time

AL

Old 11-15-2004, 09:54 AM
gearshift101
Senior User
Aslo if the timing is off a tooth or two how would I make the adjustment to correct it.

Thanks Again,

The Pain in the a**...lol

AL

Old 11-15-2004, 09:58 AM
Stonecoldtx
Junior User
" . . . then the last time he took out on the road it about 2 yrs ago it just died so he parked it, and just used it for storage."
Sounds like a case of timing chain slip . . .

"Aslo if the timing is off a tooth or two how would I make the adjustment to correct it."
You replace the timing chain and gears--there is no other alternative if the chain has slipped.

Old 11-15-2004, 10:11 AM
gearshift101
Senior User
Don't want to sound ignorant but! How do I tell if the timing chain sliped,

Do I check the position of the hormonic balancer ( making sure the marks line up) then pull the #1 plug to see if the piston is all the way up, then check the rotor in the dist to see if it pointed to the #1 plug wire on the dist cap.

Old 11-15-2004, 11:09 AM
Elder User
You didn't mess up by moving the distributor 180 because you can always move it back. If it just died on the previous owner and you have fuel and spark, there is a good chance the timing chain is bad. Normally if it is off a tooth or two then yes you can adjust it but if he was driving it when it jumped, stretched, broke, or whatever then slight adjustment won't due. Your chances in getting it right could be a 1 in 360* worth of teeth on the timing gear's chance. Since you aren't making any headway it might be worth pulling the front cover and planning on changing timing gears and chain. If it wasn't needed then you've taken care of preventative maintenance.

Quick Reply: Can't get the darn truck started ??