6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

6.0 fix for various running problems...Must Read!

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2006, 10:38 PM
kw5413
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
There have been a couple of generations of EBP sensors and recalls since this thread started 2 years ago. Haven't you received the notices? Your dealer should have already addressed the EBP sensor recall needs.

But, Welcome to FTE!

Old 07-06-2006, 12:20 AM
togie
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I like a dumb newby posted this problem in the wrong spot ( Super Duty Forum)

I have an 03 Crew long box for about 2 months ran like a clock then started puffing black smoke not constantly, called dealer and headed there after about 60 miles ( driving empty) it stopped and drove fine for rest of trip. Dealer got it to do it again and ordered new turbo new trubo went in and this time it did it all the time it is back there now they think it has something to do with a programing up date. they tell me that it is over boosting then the EGR valve opens to prevent over boost thus the black smoke it is going to get another turbo I am leaving on a 3500 mile trip pulling a 32' 5th wheel on 14th with family and am starting to get a little worried. Has anyone heard of this before.

Please save me from broke down truck with wife and 4 boarded kids

I have been told by my dealership that Ford came out with an update flash that told the computer not to read the Exhaust sensor any more but to logically figure the same thing out using the Mass air flow and 2 other sensors I don't recall their names. This flash was put in Feb. just got truck in May have 50/50 drive shop time since then.

Finally feeling hopeful

Old 07-06-2006, 06:22 AM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
...Welcome to Ford Truck Enthusiasts!

This is an old thread …however stick around someone will be by shortly to answer your question.
We are happy you have chosen the best source for Fords!

Enjoy FTE....and
JOIN CLUB FTE -SUPPORT THE FORUMS!
…..See you on the boards.

Old 07-10-2006, 02:04 PM
m.anders
New User
Matt From Smithsburg Md. I asked my dealer to replace the sensor last year. At the time he didnt find a problem with the senson. I was going to replace it my self, however it cost 300 plus. Last week he replaced the EBP senson and my problem went away. Buck and Jerk up wile climbing some small mountians in Maryland. 2004 F350 6.0

Old 07-31-2006, 10:55 PM
togie
Junior User
Same Problem Fixed

I just returned from a 6700 Km or 4000 mile holiday pulling a 32' 5th wheel through the north shore of Lake Superior. Before I left I had had nothing but problems you could hear the turbo whine then the EGR would open and I was sending smoke signals. My dealership has an outstanding guy working on my truck took it home over a weekend and at some point he saw a small spike in the Mass air flow sensor Replaced that and like I said 4000 miles averaged about 21l / 110 Km or 13.5 mpg pulling RV NO SMOKE

1st diesel 2003 f350 6.0

Old 08-01-2006, 08:28 AM
Paclik
Senior User
Finally Fixed 2004 F-350 6.0L
Got all my problems fixed. Had 10 pages of detailed symptoms, mileage, engine & outside temperatures. After 2 years of the Ford Motor Company runaround, they were finally ordered to repurchase it.
But then Ford is still at there old tactics...not honor their advertising or word. I decided to try one more time and buy a 2006 F350 6.0L, Ford had a "Ford Truck Loyality Program" rebate of $2,500.00 for us loyal Ford owners. Now they are going sideways after I purchased it....
Don't trust FMC, I have 3,200 miles on the new truck and soooooo far no problems.

Old 05-17-2007, 08:23 PM
Peter Cahoon
New User
I have 2003 F250 230,000 miles # 2 injector tip chiped off ,pulled head to find piece,
It must have been chued up. replaced all injectors,glow plugs,head gastkits and head bolts, ran for 45 mininutes and died no fuel at all. code says pcm memory? checked all the wiring many times checked all fuses,relays, has new CPS,and the fun one under turbo. I had both batterys off for a few days any ides??? Help I have done all the leaking o rings pulled my old 1990 250 7.3 out of retirement but like to get back to the ac.

Old 07-06-2007, 07:48 PM
JamCracker
New User
2100 rpm surge/smoke/stumble/oh my...

I have an 04 F-250 plain jane with the famous 6.0 and the manual 6.

I have been tracking the problem with mine since about NOV of 04, I got the truck new in JUL of 04 in Roseville CA with 21 miles on it.

The first coccurance was at about 24k in Mandan ND. The EGR was replaced, a reflash and an oil change - went to the Rotella T 15-40 at this time.

Problem went away for 3-4k miles. Showed up again several times before it shut me down completely in Gallup NM at about 45k. Dealer couldn't help, so I changed the fuel filters, and the oil in the parking lot. No problem, light went out.

Occured again badly at about 72k in Lubbock TX. Dealer completed all of the service notice work and the oil change; ran like a top.

Occured occasionally at about 85k in Saratoga Springs NY. Oil change and smooths right out.

92k and a visit to Bartow Ford in Bartow FL; Latest service notice updates and an oil change, runs great. Best Ford Dealer I've been to as well - great folks.

Today I just got back to Lakeland FL from a two day rounder to Key West for a goose neck dump trailer - 700 miles around. Changed the oil 4 days ago. Stumbling, smoking and surging starts at about 300 miles, eng light on.
Stop in Bartow to run a diag.

P0404 EGR Flow CKT Range/Perf
P2285 Injector Control Pressure Sensor Circuit Low
P2287 Injector Control Pressure Sensor CKT Intermittent

The oil change I did 4 days I added 1 qt of the Lucas Utra Synthetic.

during the run today L-1-2 stays tight, no smoke or stumble, 2-3 crossing the 2100 rpm line, under load, pushing it, I get the stumble, a puff of smoke, more stumble until I cross about 23-2400, 3-4, same, can't run OD cause I straddle the 2100 mark, can't keep the speed, 10k trailer. flat gorund, rain.

My oil changes have gone as much as 11k, as I have put up to 15k in four week periods, so I've been letting it go a little longer on short spans with high miles.

However, I've been attributing my problems to oil foaming in the high pressure circuit for the injectors, so I'm about to change the oil again - 70 bucks - to see if the Lucus is screwing me here.

I know this is long but I'm losing my mind here. The truck has 104k on it now, and pulls like hell even when it's sucking wind.

Any input would be appreciated.

Old 07-06-2007, 08:21 PM
kw5413
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Foaming could certainly be the a cause.

Can't find Lucas Ultra Synthetic

Did you mean this?

http://www.lucasoil.com/products/dis...tid=2&loc=show

Just a FYI and just my personal opinion. The 6.0 and oil additives don't get along that well. With the possible exception of Hot Shot Secret. Though, the jury is still out...I think.

Old 07-06-2007, 08:25 PM
JamCracker
New User
Some other oil theory info...

I need to add that I have been experimenting with the foaming oil theory on a 99 F-250 with the 7.3 (Auto) that we picked up about six months ago.

Bought it non-running with about 150k in MS. At least four Ford mechs in MS and LA couldn't give us anything but the fact that it was worn out. Couldn't get it started, even after a new starter, new batteries, injectors, glow plugs, and cam sensor. After changing the oil, we managed to get it started, barely.

Drove it from Picayune MS to Key West FL with no problems getting about 16 mpg to boot.

Still hard to cold start, especially below 65 F. Now has about 4k on the oil; runs pretty well after first start and continually starts easily.

Also have a 99 F-350 with the 7.3 (Manaul) that we're trying this out on as well, but it was a five-day garage complete rebuild, but so far no problems at 250K with 6-8k oil change intervals.

Old 07-06-2007, 08:42 PM
JamCracker
New User
Thanks for the reply, They have a newer one than what they have listed, but thats the stuff. Have it listed as specific to the Power Stroke.

I use the Lucas in the diesel additive when I cover 2-3k in a 2-3 days, running it maybe 12-14 hours, off 2 then maybe another 12, off 2-3, another 12. The diesel additive on the long trips may get me an extra mile a gallon, and smooth running, though that just may be me wanting it to. I have also used SeaFoam when she starts the chop, but can't tell realistically whether it did any good or not.

So the engine may end up running 30 hours in forty to fifty hours of driving, depending on how bad the iron maiden is hurting my backside; > Side note, that's the only thing that has failed on the truck outright - two springs broken and sticking out of the back of the seat. And seven right headlights, not Fords fault (gravel & rock breaks).

The truck has seen most of the lower 48 - Death Valley to Leadville CO (10,200 feet) can't really track the problem to an altitude, humidity, baro, etc, but high heat and humidity seem to make it worse - Houston, New Orleans, Florida, NY

Old 07-06-2007, 09:03 PM
JamCracker
New User
kw5413, I'm going to change the oil tomorrow, no adds, run it with the trailer and see what happens.

If it still chokes at 2100, it will go to Bartow Ford on Monday.

If Bartow Ford can't fix it, I'm getting a lawyer, my pile of dealer work papers from all over the country and I'm going to have chat with Ford.

Old 07-08-2007, 06:54 AM
Peter Cahoon
New User
Mind did the same thing . with the codes you have i say its a little trash it the IPR valve that is what mind ended up being, You better check it before you are stranded.
small pits of metal from the HPOP (had to chang it hit the screen in the IPR and restricked oil flow/fuel message to pmc. I would change every o ring from the turbo to the fuel system whjle it's off. I did mind myself it is a job. GET the special IPR wrench. it will save a lot of brovo sierra. Make sure you take the oil filter assemble off and clean every spec of dirt out of it. I did not and had to tear it down again to get to the IPR. My milagae is way up at 19 to 21 mpg it the flat lands here. Runs as smooth as new.

After all the work I can see why the Ford dealers want to change everyting in site as who in their right mind would want to go though that again to find out you need a new o ring on the turbo.

Old 07-08-2007, 08:18 AM
JamCracker
New User
Thanks Mr. Cahoon,

I did the oil change, pulled the trailer about 30 miles with no change in performance. Eng light on, (didn't clear the earlier DTCs). I pulled it on flat ground up to about 60@2400, take it to 70, put it in OD, starts scrubbing off speed, and while trying to keep it, even a modest pedal press produced what sounded like misfires under the hood, and plenty of black smoke.

The trailer may be closer to 13K, so I'm pushing the bounderies of what the truck can do, but I've become spoiled to the fact that the beast will pull anything I put behind it.

Anyway, I dropped the trailer and disconnected the EGR. Pulled out onto the highway and went through the gears, shifting at 3500 (I usually shift at about 2500 or below). No scrub-off of RPM between shifts and steady pull all the way to 3500 and acted like it wanted me to keep spinning it higher. 0-90 more quickly than it has done in a while, no smoke, no lag, just a little rough in the run up. It ran like a scalded dog and surprised the crap out of me.

On steady pedal, it's still uneven, but lagging it in OD didn't produce the stutter and smoke in the 1800-2400 range, just pulled itself through.

I have a phobia of spinning a diesel above 2500 for whatever reason, and have read that peak for this motor is 345hp@3400; I have always thought "OMG - why would I spin it that high to get the peak HP?"

I understand now.

Peter, I've been debating the IPR with my pop, as that is the direction we were leaning after trying the simple oil change with no real result. We haven't really been able to determine yet whether the P2285 and P2287 circuit codes are electrical in nature due to the circuit(s) or more esoteric, like the PCM, the EGR, or other upstream devices or sensors creating bad logic from a crappy oil change regimen, bad oil, additives, foamy oil, trash, or an EPB that has been an endless topic of debate.

Next question; Whats the best book of pictures and letters for tearing the top side of an '04 6.0 apart?

Old 07-08-2007, 09:37 AM
brickie
Cargo Master
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
6.0 Bible will show you where everything is on the motor.If you have the time read the tsb section you may find some hints in there.Have you changed the icp sensor yet?On the early o4 there is a tsb regarding the ops that may be affecting your truck.I will try to find it for you.I cant remember where I found it fte or dieselmens.

Quick Reply: 6.0 fix for various running problems...Must Read!