2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strange thing happened... answer this one.

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2004, 05:06 AM
asinatra
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by greenroses
Someone else try it, please. When you're on the freeway pump the gas once to the floor quickly and let up. What happens? I'd like to know if this is a common problem or if it's unique to my rig.
Dont worry about it, it happens, your getting worried over nothing. Most the guys that post on these f150 forums are just regurgitators and just go off of what others have said.

Old 11-06-2004, 07:53 AM
04fx4scab
Senior User
Originally Posted by timhood
I think you got off track. To quote the original question:

"I put the pedal to the floor. Right away I changed my mind and let up right away, but the rpm's flew up to about 4000 rpm's and stayed there for about 4 or 5 seconds before coming down to normal. Funny thing was that the truck didn't seem to change gears or react in any other way except to rev up the engine. No power was transfered to the driveline."

We're not talking about the accelleration lag, we're talking about the engine revving for several seconds with no power transfer. You simply cannot blame that on drive-by-wire because power transfer happens in the transmission.

As for accelleration lag, it's possible with or without drive-by-wire. With drive-by-wire Ford could have chosen to put a slight delay or require a minimum throttle input in order to give the drivetrain the illusion of a smoother start. However, do some research and you'll find many complaints logged in auto reviews for transmission lag on many vehicles with conventional accelleration. So, just because there's a lag in the F-150 doesn't mean that only drive-by-wire systems have it. (It also doesn't mean that the throttle programming isn't the only cause of the lag).<!-- / message -->
Ya i read the original post and just started typing my reply without thinking and totally convinced myself that i was correct, but i also think that the throttle by wire is part of the problem.

Originally Posted by asinatra
Dont worry about it, it happens, your getting worried over nothing. Most the guys that post on these f150 forums are just regurgitators and just go off of what others have said.
= regurgitating (that's funny)

Dont worry about it, it happens,...When you need to get out of the way and can't because you truck doesn't respond like it should that is something to worry about, that's dangerous and an accident waiting to happen. When you hit the gas you expect to go, that's the whole point isn't it? There have been many close calls and accidents logged on this forum and others because of this problem, whether it's caused by the torque converter, throttle by wire or a combo of both.

i think that a lot of people have their own opinion of what might be causing a particular problem. It's just like the vibration/steering wheel nibble/bed shake, there are so many different opinions on causes/fixes that its mind boggling. Who's right/who's wrong, nobody knows not even ford. I don't think it is regurgitating sombody elses thoughts and opinions it is that many people have similar opinions on similar problems.

Old 11-06-2004, 11:03 AM
Rocky J
Elder User
I realize I have the older style truck, but mine had these identical symptoms when I bought it a month ago. The more I drove it the more I disliked it. Took it back to the dealer for the shifting/ hesitation problem and they replaced the torque converter under warranty. Now it drives great! No hesitation in the throttle whatsoever.

Old 11-06-2004, 04:04 PM
ctfordguy
Elder User
Mine has done a similiar thing but not on the highway. Open the throttle quickly and the down shift can be violent. I find it really bad when driving around 35-40 and I have the OD on, as a result I always turn the OD off when below 50 mph. My truck is a 8' SCAB.

Old 11-09-2004, 02:33 AM
greenroses
Senior User
ctfordguy,

I have the same truck as you (not near as nicely upgraded). I've seen somewhat of a pattern with our rig and it's problems. Maybe I'm imagining things, but it seems that Ford didn't put quite as much thought into the big F150 as they did the rest of the models.

Old 11-09-2004, 07:03 PM
hendomatic
New User
TPS Reports

Originally Posted by mkoser
From now on we are using the NEW cover sheet on the TPS reports, did you get the memo? I'll see that you get a copy of the memo.
We're obviously a couple of rare samples to laff at TPS in this forum. It went right by everyone...

Everyone go out and rent Office Space and you'll get it... or maybe not...

Old 11-09-2004, 07:10 PM
mkoser
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Big grains of salt... Big big grains of salt...
Ok I am done now, sorry for the distraction!