1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Help w/ Rear End Swap

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2004, 06:56 PM
nomadshirt
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help w/ Rear End Swap

I followed the advice on the "Rear Axle Swap" thread and I decided to go with an Explorer rear end. In fact, I am now in possession of a rear end that came off a 2 wheel drive 01 Explorer. I made sure that all the emergency brake hardware was left intact.

I intend on using a 4-Link Rear Suspension system with the Explorer rear end. My concern is the drive shaft. Should I replace the drive shaft bolt on location (place where a U-joint connects the drive shaft to the rear end) and use a conventional drive shaft system or should I leave the plate attached and get a drive shaft from an Explorer?

I have a 302 that I would like to hook up to either a C-4 or C-6 transmission. I'm leaning towards a C-6 incase I want to get a bigger engine later.

Old 11-01-2004, 06:30 AM
svooom
Senior User
Hi nomadshirt,
I'm also using an Explorer rear but I'm going with an AOD instead. I've got the rear yolk from the Explorer and the front yolk from the AOD. I'm going to take both of them along with some measurements to a drive shaft shop and have them make me a custom one. They told me $180 for a custom made ballanced driveshaft. The Explorer shaft wasn't the right length and I would have had to have it cut down anyway.

Good luck - Brad

Old 11-01-2004, 06:40 AM
sparky30_06
Senior User
there is no reason to rnu a C6 behind a 302, unless you are planning to build a monster hp motor, the C4 is a great trans and compaired to the C6 it is lighter and uses alot less HP to turn it.

Old 11-02-2004, 11:52 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by svooom
Hi nomadshirt,
I'm also using an Explorer rear but I'm going with an AOD instead. I've got the rear yolk from the Explorer and the front yolk from the AOD. I'm going to take both of them along with some measurements to a drive shaft shop and have them make me a custom one. They told me $180 for a custom made ballanced driveshaft. The Explorer shaft wasn't the right length and I would have had to have it cut down anyway.

Good luck - Brad
Jeez, all this talk about yolks is making me hungry for grits and eggs!

Vern