1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Flaming Headache

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2004, 10:08 PM
OilLeaks
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
55Bubba - didn't the Classic Trucks magazine feature a Studebaker truck in red primer with a hot licks flame job on it a couple years back? Pretty sure about this and as I recall it did look really sharp - this truck is the one that had the Impala dash adapted to it...also had a large spun aluminum gas tank mounted in the bed close to the back of the cab as I recall - nice truck and it did look Kool.

Old 11-06-2004, 06:07 AM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Received 123 Likes on 94 Posts
"I guess red suede (primer) with flames would be a tad out there"

Bubba

It's been done for sure. I think black primer is a better choice for a flame base though. That can be done to very nice effect, black contrasts with any flame color, and you won't be asked near as often when you're going to paint your car/truck. PPG offers primers in many colors.

Another option is actual black paint with flattening agent. You can use PPG Omni black for maybe forty some bucks a gallon. Advantage being durable and UV resistant. Primer doesn't look so attractive after a couple years in the sun.

Old 11-06-2004, 09:45 AM
himmelberg
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Like many of 'fender's posts this one is fraught with interest and wanders over some rather wide territory, something like you boys with bad kingpins, knowing few boundaries.

We have come to a point in the discussion where I might contribute in a small meaningless way. Consider the glossy tri or quad colored flames on Bubba's red oxide truck. They would look fine. There is a guy in Flower Mound who drives an old shoebox in this scheme. It's cool.

While I was having my kingpins/bushings line reamed this summer, I toyed with some ideas on my hood. I'm not sure what kind of red paint this truck was last painted in, but it sure wouldn't be anything I'd use. It comes off in the wash. So, anticipating a paint job, I'm nosing, and de-embleming, filling holes and priming. Tried some scallop ideas in tape... just from the centerline... then squirted a little red oxide primer. Looks like this.

best. himmelberg

Old 11-06-2004, 11:29 AM
f1fordguy
Senior User
Dewayne
Great job! I am impressed. Personally, I would never attempt it. It would look like I did it with a power roller.

Excellent!

Tim

Old 11-06-2004, 03:18 PM
jniolon
old and in the way
Received 713 Likes on 257 Posts
getting confident there bunky ???

y'all keep bragging on him ... he'll be out buying Pasche brushes... getting tattoos and those little whiskers on his chin... dressing in dirty paint spattered jeans and pulling a wagon around the car shows...

and for his next trick !!!!

how bout them lines there Dewayne ??? saw this last year at crusin the coast.... 65 year old retired paiinter..really a fun guy to talk too....did this in his backyard garage...it was absolutely awesome on a '57 ford wagon...had to quit though the paint fumes ruined his lungs...this man has talent... notice the shadow shading to give it the 3-d effect with one tip over the other..... this is pure artwork. I just stood ther staring for 15 minutes with my mouth open...

later

john

Old 11-06-2004, 05:31 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
"getting confident there bunky ???"

No Flames Niolon,

What??? So you think you can just post a PIC of somebody elses art, and then just start hob knobbing with us artsy types like Himmel and 56 Effie Aurea. You gotta pay your dues first man. Now run along.

Old 11-06-2004, 07:17 PM
56 Effie Aurea
Senior User
Hehe... I say John should put some flames on his truck so he can hob ****. C'mon John, what ya say?! Flames ain't for the weak of heart ya know!
Norb

Old 11-06-2004, 07:40 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Back on the serious, if only for a moment. Didn't mean to diss red primer trucks. It is fact that Himmel has forgotten more about rat rodding than I will ever know. I was just offering some alternatives that might be a bit more durable, with a similar effect. In Iowa, rust will start creeping through lacquer primer shortly after it is dry. It also fries out easy in the sun. Topcoat paint with flattening agent, or a primer sealer in the appropriate color, just makes sense to me, and it's only a few bucks more in some colors. That's why I through it out there. And if missed the bus again, and the primer red look is what you desire, you could imitate that too in something far more durable.

I'm taking a break right now from taping off my flames one last time. (With any luck). Niolon distracted me and I got a run in my aurea last time. If I get off work early enough tomorrow I will get the final PICs up here. (Except for the pin striping.

Anybody know who sells a decent selection of pinstriping tape online? I'm looking for orange or reddish orange. 1/8 or 3/16 wide. Selection is very poor around here. Might have to settle for tomater red for now.

Old 11-06-2004, 08:03 PM
Christopher2
Posting Guru
Hey Fenders I don't care what anyone says I am impressed with the flame job. Heck I would have stopped with the first set I liked the orange. I see your in Iowa I am in Minnesota I might have to bring my truck down and let you paint flames on him when I am ready.

Old 11-06-2004, 09:32 PM
jniolon
old and in the way
Received 713 Likes on 257 Posts
Originally Posted by fatfenders
"getting confident there bunky ???"

No Flames Niolon,

What??? So you think you can just post a PIC of somebody elses art, and then just start hob knobbing with us artsy types like Himmel and 56 Effie Aurea. You gotta pay your dues first man. Now run along.

sheessse.... you artistic types are soooo sensitive... and with very little sense of humor,

Hey Bubba... heard any good outhouse jokes ???

j

Old 11-06-2004, 10:50 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
"sheessse.... you artistic types are soooo sensitive... and with very little sense of humor"

Oh, now that I got the gift, I thought I was supposed to be aloof. I've went and offended one of those "no talents" already.

Got her painted tonight. The orange and aurea are drug forward just a tad. I'm gonna call it quits. Got a small run on the white on the mist coat again, but I can give it a quick fix with out all the masking hassle at least. PICs tomorrow. I hope you guys can sleep with all the anticipation.

Christopher

Their just teasin. Where you at in MN? Get him taped up and I'll swing by with my paint gun...................... and my Walleye boat.

Old 11-07-2004, 09:35 AM
Christopher2
Posting Guru
Silver Lake it shows up on Mapquest. I am just about in the center of MN, maybe a little south but not much.

Old 11-07-2004, 08:25 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Here are a couple of views. With your approval, I will stop here and call it a respectable first attempt Peter, before I screw it up. Only lack pinstipes now. The yellow to orange transition wasn;t too tough, The withe to yellownis harder to achieve, No matter what I try, there is a little stray overspray. I may get out the airbrush and tidy up the wandering white and yellow someday. The contour of the hood causes a draft where it drops down nearly vertical near the fender and I just can't get the transition quite perfect on the yellow to whit transition. I've tried about five times.

Christopher

i see you live about an hour away from Lake Minnetonka, the probably the finest Northern urban bass lake there is IMO. I'm jealous. Perhaps I can swing by someday on one of my trips up there.

Last edited by fatfenders; 11-07-2004 at 08:30 PM.
Old 11-08-2004, 06:02 AM
himmelberg
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Fenders... that is more than respectable. Great looking is what I would call it. Don't be afraid to go with a strong contrasty pinstripe. "You can't make art and be afraid of a little color." quoting himself, himmelberg

Old 11-08-2004, 06:16 AM
Christopher2
Posting Guru
You can stop by as long as you are towing your boat with that flamed Ford. You did a great job on the flames I would like to see that up close. Have you ever gone to the "Back to the 50's Cruise In" at the Minnesota State Fairgrounds? I would like to see your truck there it would be a great addition.

Quick Reply: Flaming Headache