1964 Econoline Panel Delivery

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2004, 12:25 AM
obmerb
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 1964 Econoline Panel Delivery

Hi everyone! I'm new here and trying to help a buddy of mine who just got the Van. Everything is there and works....runs, will need some TLC but nothing major....mostly small dings and a bit of Porta-Power pulling/pushing around the left headlight will do it.
Main mechanical...the steering box is really sloppy! About 30 degrees of rotation before anything happens (driver is kept very busy trying to keep it pointed straight). Any thoughts? Don't have manuals, wondering if there is a way of tightening/adjusting? Macs lists $350/$600 to rebuild (about the cost of the Van!). HELP! Thanks, Bobby D in Los Angeles.

Old 10-31-2004, 05:20 AM
jowilker
Fleet Owner

Received 46 Likes on 44 Posts
Bobby We have a Ranchero and 1961 - 1967 Econoline forum that will be better suited for your post. I have copied it there and have notified the moderator.

John

Old 10-31-2004, 05:57 AM
Torque1st
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Moved to proper forum.

Old 11-01-2004, 12:15 AM
66gpw
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink Sounds like worm gear is worn out.

It sounds like the worm gear in the steering box is worn out. If so not safe to drive that way. It happened to a friend of mine in his 75 ford 1/2. When it broke he just went right off the road. Lucky he did not hit anything.
Have you had the suspension checked for worn parts. The steering ball joints, trailing rod and the idler arm on the steering box could all be wore out.
Put the van on jack stands so the wheels hang freely. Both wheels at the same time. You grab the tire at the top and bottom and push and pull in and out . Have someone watch the suspension ball joints for movement. Look at the king pins they can also be sloppy.
If not sure what to do. Then take it for a wheel alignment and they will be able to tell you what all needs done.
If the steering box is worn. It is not hard to change. 3 bolts to the frame, disconnect ball joint to pitman arm and unbolt from steering colunm. It usaully will come out.