Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

Duramax, Cummins or PSD - Who is the most powerful?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2004, 09:59 PM
FRECSF
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Duramax, Cummins or PSD - Who is the most powerful?

Who is the diesel power and speed king?
Tired of all the talk about who can do this and who can't .
Lets see some videos. Like to see some 1/4 mile drags and sled pulling for proof.

Old 10-30-2004, 10:04 PM
johnsdiesel
Post Fiend
1/4 mile drags don't mean a thing. These engines are designed to pull. Also, the trucks who win the sled pulling competitions are far from stock and in many cases not street legal. In the most recent competitions with stock vehicles towing the PSD wins, Cummins is second, and Duramax is last. If you use the search function you will get thousands of posts on this same topic.

Even the "worst" of the three is a great towing engine. I've driven one of the 590 lb/ft Duramax trucks and it is a powerful engine. Even when my 1997 PSD was in stock form (225HP/480 lb/ft) I never felt like I had a lack of power when towing.

Old 10-30-2004, 10:13 PM
dspencer
Senior User
Dodge and Dodge, but like the man says they are highly modified.

Old 10-31-2004, 12:18 AM
Frost13
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by FRECSF
Who is the diesel power and speed king?
Tired of all the talk about who can do this and who can't .
Lets see some videos. Like to see some 1/4 mile drags and sled pulling for proof.
Here we go again...

Old 10-31-2004, 01:03 AM
Kenworth
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Every day use proves what is a good diesel you don't drag race with a diesel and you don't do sled pulling. For 90% of the diesel P/U trucks sold today are used for daily drivers that pull the odd trailer or pack the camper or is used as a work truck packing tools etc.

If the V-8 configured diesels were so bad why does Ford keep selling more diesel trucks over Dodge with its supposidly superior Cummins ?

For every day driving work truck I would go with a 7.3 PSD or a 04 6.0 these engines have good power band work great you stomp on it and the truck flys.

The only reason why the Cummins is bragged up about is the people that are into spending foolish amounts of money hotrodding a Cummins engine to boost their little ego is the Cummins is cheaper to play with. Most of the guys into the hot rodding are more interested in the engine than anything else you ask the same people would you buy a gasser Dodge they would have to think about it.

As for the Duramax I'am not a big believer in aluminum heads they just don't belong on a diesel engine. You don't see any other diesels using aluminum heads no other Isuzu diesel engine uses aluminum heads so it is a another dumb Chevy idea ? Chevy did build one of the worst light duty diesel it was the 6.5 talk about the biggest turd on the planet.

To sum it up you buy the whole truck so look at it as a overall picture no just one part.

Old 10-31-2004, 06:52 AM
dPrasse01
Senior User
Out at a big rodeo last summer in Colorado , 90% of the trailers were PSD pulled , the rest of the ones were Dodge ... like one guy said ... if you want to see a Chevy in the mountains , you'd better bring a picture ....
bbbbbbwwwwwwwaaaahhhhhhhhhhaaaaaa

in the local pulls ,I have never seen anything but Ford PSDs pull the distance ...
(in the gas street class , a 460 powered '77 romps all comers )

I'll take my PSD down the 1/4 and hook a sled next summer .... see how strong the universals are !

Last edited by dPrasse01; 10-31-2004 at 06:55 AM.
Old 10-31-2004, 03:51 PM
Frost13
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by dPrasse01
I'll take my PSD down the 1/4 and hook a sled next summer .... see how strong the universals are !
what mods do you have?

Old 10-31-2004, 04:42 PM
phillipSVT
Junior User
I've driven both a Ford PSD (the older 7.3) and the new Duramax in the mountains. Both work great, the brakes on the Chevy are far better than the Ford. However, with the new changes, I think the FORD/PSD will out-tow both the Dodge and Chevy. I think for towing, all the motors/tranny's are good in all the trucks, it comes down to Suspencion, Brakes, Visibility, and Interior Comfort. For this, the Ford has a slight edge. (for visibility and interior) I would rather have the Allison in the ford though...

Old 10-31-2004, 06:27 PM
FRECSF
Senior User
Forget street driven vehicals, we talking about real diesel HP and Torque. Come on where are they at?

This is all hog wash, dragging 1/4 mile doesn't mean or prove a thing, 90% or 100% this or that, who rides better, who pulls better, who is more this or that, aluminum cast or plastic. That is not what this thread is about.

Get off the soap boxes for a minute and prove who is the king. I'm not looking for opinions.

I'm getting that we don't really have any at this point? If so lets see some links to movie files.

Old 10-31-2004, 07:28 PM
TheFrog
Senior User
I think I read that the fastest truck in the world was a dodge dakota running a 5.9ltr Cummins I6.

Old 10-31-2004, 07:40 PM
phillipSVT
Junior User
Duramax - 231kW/817N-m
Cummings - 242kW/824N-m
PSD 6.0 - 242kW/770N-m

Based on Specs, the Dodge is the most powerfull light duty Diesel truck available.

Old 10-31-2004, 08:23 PM
dPrasse01
Senior User
Originally Posted by Frost13
what mods do you have?
none yet .... just bought the truck ... just planning for next summer ...

Old 10-31-2004, 09:11 PM
FRECSF
Senior User
Thanks Frog, Now thats what I'm talking about. Didn't think about the fastest though. Good Job!

I have to say that I'm really amazed at the level of performance they are getting from diesel's now days.

I'll look it up and get some info.

Old 10-31-2004, 10:46 PM
tmyers
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well for mod availability it is the cummins all the way today. But in the not to distance future I think you will see the V8's come to the front. Once the after market catches up a V8 will out perform a 6 any day.

p.s. I'm not talking bolt on here but internals. These are the weak parts on the V8's today.

Old 10-31-2004, 11:33 PM
phillipSVT
Junior User
Originally Posted by FRECSF
I'll look it up and get some info.
are you wanting the STOCK specs (that I provided above) or aftermarket specs???

Quick Reply: Duramax, Cummins or PSD - Who is the most powerful?