Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

Duramax, Cummins or PSD - Who is the most powerful?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2004, 10:43 PM
FordLariat
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, the reason the PSD isn't in as many things is because it sells enough trucks to meet their projections. If Dodge sold better, then Cummins wouldn't have to sell out to other applications to move their products.

Old 12-05-2004, 11:01 PM
RMK
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Thats odd, the same cummins motor was in a self propelled bailer way before the powerstroke was ever put into a truck, also if im not mistaken it was also in a swather . Also who in there right mind would ever meet there projections and say we have sold enough>> every one in buisness wants to sell MORE of what they are selling> not get to there projection and say lets stop we have sold enough

Old 12-05-2004, 11:16 PM
FordLariat
Posting Guru
And you can't tell me that, as good as the Cummins or not, that the PSD is good for nothing. Cat doesn't want in the light truck market, don't you think it's possible that IH doesn't want to put the PSDs into everything else?

Old 12-05-2004, 11:36 PM
RMK
Junior User
Wo fordlariat, I never said the psd was good for nothing, I OWN two of them, that would be stabbing myself in the FOOT. the two that i have are fine i also have ONE cummins and it is fine, I like them both

Old 12-06-2004, 12:29 AM
FordLariat
Posting Guru
My apologies, I just get flamed a lot lately for thinking the PSD is a better engine.

Old 12-06-2004, 01:20 AM
tmyers
Posting Guru
I think all the people who are really like the 5.9 should get out and buy them while they can. IMO it is in its last day. The rumor mill has a total redesign for the Ram in 07 and I'll bet the 5.9 will not be offered in the largest packages.

Why is the 5.9 not offered in the Power Wagon. Could it be that 4.56's put the motor so far out of its power band as to not be practiable. Ford took the towing lead this year with the 4.30 option and I doubt they will loose it again except maybe to Chevy. I think the Dodge is tapped out, it will just not turn the RPMS required for these taller gears. Of course Dodge could come out with a super overdrive but it will really be a dog in that gear.

Old 12-06-2004, 01:50 AM
Found On Road Dead22
Freshman User
desrat was right about what he said the cummins is detuned wuite a bit and it is overkill for light trucks...but the powerstroke is a lot more user friendly/more driveable in a vehicle cummins can be redlined for hours and hours powerstroke especially the new one revs higher and is a lighter engine...u dont need a motor like the cummins in a light truck

oh and yeah caterpillar does not want in the light truck business for good reason....they dont make a light enough motor thats for one the 7.2 is overkill for any truck 2ndly they couldnt be bothered to make a motor pass emmissions im surprised cummins bothered to do what they did with the 5.9 to make it legal

all that being said if u wanna get nuts with ur motor then yeah a cummins will handle more its built thicker in every department but so what....u dont need that much ...it wont help u buy more christmas presents for ur kids

Old 12-06-2004, 07:19 AM
Titan_TX
Senior User
Originally Posted by PSD 60L Fx4
Then you have obviously never seen a PROPERLY modified high output Powerstroke.
The same company that made the Dodge here where I live does powerstrokes as well. I asked them what the potential of the other 2, meaning Ford and GM were. He laughed adn said not even close. The FORD can't get over 1/4 of the TQ the cummings will do without serious money put into the engine itself.

So, no the PSD can't do it.

Old 12-06-2004, 07:51 AM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 57 Likes on 30 Posts
One companies opinion does not make "the only way" as you stated "The FORD can't get over 1/4 of the TQ the Cummings will do without serious money put into the engine itself." which means, you can do it...the project would require more funds, and that is not arguable….it would cost more. Nothing is impossible if given the resources.
The PSD could do it with unlimited funds.

Old 12-06-2004, 07:54 AM
tmyers
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Titan_TX
The same company that made the Dodge here where I live does powerstrokes as well. I asked them what the potential of the other 2, meaning Ford and GM were. He laughed adn said not even close. The FORD can't get over 1/4 of the TQ the cummings will do without serious money put into the engine itself.

So, no the PSD can't do it.
That is true but if you have the money it can do more than the Cummings. V8's will always out perform I6's of the same displacement because of the ability to spin the motor higher. Just because an engine is a diesel does not mean it magically gets to ignore physics.

Old 12-06-2004, 08:58 AM
Logical Heritic
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by tmyers
I think all the people who are really like the 5.9 should get out and buy them while they can. IMO it is in its last day. The rumor mill has a total redesign for the Ram in 07 and I'll bet the 5.9 will not be offered in the largest packages.

Why is the 5.9 not offered in the Power Wagon. Could it be that 4.56's put the motor so far out of its power band as to not be practiable. .
The cummins sells a lot of trucks for dodge. They are gonna suddenly stop using them. When their contract is now out to 2010. I somehow dont think this is true.

Gears are a torque multiplier. Why put a 4.56 behind a diesel? 4.11 is steep for a diesel. I would not expect the manufacturer to be limited to only one diff ratio.

Ford used to put 5.76 or so behind the 6.9. Now thats crazy.

The cummins is going into the powerwagon. Something wonderful is going to happen. Mark my words. If they do what I think they are doing. Put my name on the list for one of the first ones.

Old 12-06-2004, 09:38 AM
tmyers
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Logical Heritic
The cummins sells a lot of trucks for dodge. They are gonna suddenly stop using them. When their contract is now out to 2010. I somehow dont think this is true.

Gears are a torque multiplier. Why put a 4.56 behind a diesel? 4.11 is steep for a diesel. I would not expect the manufacturer to be limited to only one diff ratio.

Ford used to put 5.76 or so behind the 6.9. Now thats crazy.

The cummins is going into the powerwagon. Something wonderful is going to happen. Mark my words. If they do what I think they are doing. Put my name on the list for one of the first ones.
I never said that they would stop using them. What I said is the 5.9 has we know it will not be configured as it is today. They will have to move the power band higher or use a different engine. Just a guess, 4.56 with the current motor means 2500-2700 rpms at freeway speed.

As far as 4.56 being steep for a diesel, not really. And for an off road gear its very good.

Old 12-06-2004, 10:45 AM
John Russell
Senior User
Exclamation I need to look at my pictures at home!

I was invited to attend the Finals at the O'Riley NHRA Nationals this year at Ennis by a good friend that works for Ford Motor Co, and sit in their Suite. Toward the end of the day, just before the Finals, there was a one time single pass made by a VERY highly modified Dodge truck(whatever the smallest truck is that they make) that was Diesel powered. I have pictures on my computer at home, and the truck itself reminded me of a NASCAR truck, with the exception of the two HUGE Diesel stacks coming out of the bed just behind the cab. They did an incredible burn out, then I think they ran somewhere in the mid 8 second range at a bit over 152mph in the quarter. I seem to remember "Preadator Racing" on the side & I never saw that truck again, but I have a picture of the lights with the exact E/T and trap speed. The crowd went absolutely NUTS to see any Diesel powered vehicle run that FAST. I will find the picture and post exactly what the truck ran, and I will also post a description of the information on the truck.
John Russell
I know this is a bit vague, but anyone else that was there will also remember this run!!

Last edited by John Russell; 12-06-2004 at 10:48 AM.
Old 12-06-2004, 11:52 AM
why165
Senior User
i own a 350 idi ford, teh v8 diesel is a bad idea that the manufacturers put on you. look at all of the new or newer, say85 and on 18 wheelers. all inline 6. diesel by its very nature is a low rpm motor. dont get me wrong i like my ford, but v8 diesel is a bad idea and if it says chevy and diesel i dont need to get near it. i still remeber the conversion diesel and the 6.2 and 6.5. cummings is truely the best diesel made for light duty, even the 80's models were very strong they just couldnt put anything around them to hold the power. they were highly derated. it is just my opinion, but an auto used for pulling is a bad idea. granted the new auto's are very good and very strong, but going down hill or even on flat ground i will take a 5 or 6 speed. sure it is more work and to eat and drive is a bear but to be incontrol of the tranny is well worth it to me. and why move the power band higher?? to keep up with the 6 liter that makes its power at 3300 or so. high revs = bad milage.

Last edited by why165; 12-06-2004 at 11:54 AM.
Old 12-06-2004, 12:51 PM
Titan_TX
Senior User
Originally Posted by John Russell
I was invited to attend the Finals at the O'Riley NHRA Nationals this year at Ennis by a good friend that works for Ford Motor Co, and sit in their Suite. Toward the end of the day, just before the Finals, there was a one time single pass made by a VERY highly modified Dodge truck(whatever the smallest truck is that they make) that was Diesel powered. I have pictures on my computer at home, and the truck itself reminded me of a NASCAR truck, with the exception of the two HUGE Diesel stacks coming out of the bed just behind the cab. They did an incredible burn out, then I think they ran somewhere in the mid 8 second range at a bit over 152mph in the quarter. I seem to remember "Preadator Racing" on the side & I never saw that truck again, but I have a picture of the lights with the exact E/T and trap speed. The crowd went absolutely NUTS to see any Diesel powered vehicle run that FAST. I will find the picture and post exactly what the truck ran, and I will also post a description of the information on the truck.
John Russell
I know this is a bit vague, but anyone else that was there will also remember this run!!
That is the truck I was talking about. He lives in San Antonio, Texas here.

Quick Reply: Duramax, Cummins or PSD - Who is the most powerful?