Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

Duramax, Cummins or PSD - Who is the most powerful?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2004, 12:12 AM
dspencer
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Actually, the ford and chevy v8's have been out much longer than the dodge I6. They still are playing catchup.

Old 11-01-2004, 12:20 AM
tmyers
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The psd 6.0, Durimax have been out longer that the cummins. Don't think so.

Old 11-01-2004, 12:36 AM
dspencer
Senior User
The v8 ford and chevy were out before dodge ever put a diesel in a pickup. The dodge was always faster than the 6.9, 7.3, 6.0 or the different chevy v8's. For some reason probably not intended by cummins when they make the motor, they can be more easily bombed.

Actually the 6.0 ford has been out longer than hpcr 5.9 and I believe the 5.9 still gets more hp.

Old 11-01-2004, 12:58 AM
tmyers
Posting Guru
The bottom end of the cummins has not changed in how many years. If the 6.0 and the Durimax have a problem its with the rods.

Old 11-01-2004, 02:10 AM
f250rangerexplorer
Posting Guru
PSD in ford came out in 94.5. Pre-1994.5 were IDI's. the chevy diesel 6.2/6.5 were detroit diesel based and came out in 1980. The cummins came out in '89. i hope this clears this up. So Ford has had the following diesels in light duty pickups, 6.9 IDI, 7.3IDI, 7.3 PSD, 6.0 PSD. So in fact the Cummins was out before PSD or Duramax.

Drive It Like You Stole It!!!

Old 11-01-2004, 02:47 AM
johnsdiesel
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by FRECSF
Forget street driven vehicals, we talking about real diesel HP and Torque. Come on where are they at?

This is all hog wash, dragging 1/4 mile doesn't mean or prove a thing, 90% or 100% this or that, who rides better, who pulls better, who is more this or that, aluminum cast or plastic. That is not what this thread is about.

Get off the soap boxes for a minute and prove who is the king. I'm not looking for opinions.

I'm getting that we don't really have any at this point? If so lets see some links to movie files.
It's not as simple as the factory HP and torque ratings. The Cummins is rated the highest, but the transmission it's mated to and the nature of the power curve of an I6 gives it a disadvantage. Even though the Cummins is rated for 30 ft/lbs more torque than the PSD, the PSD outperforms the Cummins because of the powerband advantage and the transmission. As I said before, use the search function. There are plenty of very lengthy threads on this subject, one with over 1000 posts (all fairly recent).

Old 11-01-2004, 06:09 AM
dPrasse01
Senior User
The only "proof" I have is what I have witnessed ...
at the local pulls , the Dodge trucks go around 100 feet on the pull track ...on the hard clay track they seem to get out of their power-band and just seem to bog down ... this year none of the Dodge boys even came to play ...

Dads '94 IDI 7.3 walks away from other trailers loaded with cows after leaving big cattle shows .. ..

Old 11-01-2004, 09:04 PM
BigDaddy6969
Senior User
Bottom line to me is, no matter which diesel you go with nowadays you should be happy with because all the new vehicles (to me) are very nice and have enough power to pull down Sears Tower.

Old 11-01-2004, 11:17 PM
Logical Heritic
Posting Guru
He is right. Ford and chevy have been tinkering with v8 diesels much longer than dodge has with its six. It just so happens that from 94-98 the injection pump used on the dodge was a mean ****. The big power cummins generally fall into this group. Note that this was after the PSD was released and before the dmax. But neither was that manufacturers first v8 diesel. Dodge got into the full size diesel market 5 to 6 years after ford or chevy.

The big difference is. How much power the cummins can handle while using stock internals. Thats why the cummins is so far ahead. Because it is more durable in stock form. It more easily handles the uprates. If you tried to push 1000hp out of a stock psd or dmax. You would have pieces flying. Above 700hp both engines will suffer damage. That is the big difference between the three powerplants. The cummins will also withstand higher rpms due to a better internal balance.

Old 11-02-2004, 12:01 AM
BigDaddy6969
Senior User
Withstand higher RPM's? I am assuming you mean in its respective field. The 5.9 from what i understand doesnt wrap the RPM's as high as V8 diesels because its and I and doesnt have to wrap as high to make the same amount of power. I think if Dodge had a respectable 5 or 5+1 auto they would have a nice pulling combo.

Old 11-02-2004, 05:13 AM
Logical Heritic
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by BigDaddy6969
Withstand higher RPM's? I am assuming you mean in its respective field. The 5.9 from what i understand doesnt wrap the RPM's as high as V8 diesels because its and I and doesnt have to wrap as high to make the same amount of power. I think if Dodge had a respectable 5 or 5+1 auto they would have a nice pulling combo.
The modded cummins can pull past 5 grand. Thats what I was reffering too. Stock. It makes its hp with less rpms.

Old 11-02-2004, 01:52 PM
BigDaddy6969
Senior User
I am not calling you on your statement because it makes sense but are we talking stock or are we talking modded? Because i dont think an I6 diesel would wrap to 5 grand. That being said I think the Cummins biggest advantage on available power output would be that it is is a 6 cylinder, so it would have 25% less moving parts, there fore it takes less for it to run putting more power to the drive train. I have heard nothing but good around my neck of the woods about the Cummins. I would like to buy one in the 92-93 250 (were they 250 or 2500 then, i cant remember) single cab. I wouldnt use it for much work but just for fun, they look pretty cool IMO and the Cummins can be modded out fairly easily from what I understand.

Old 11-02-2004, 01:58 PM
dPrasse01
Senior User
I likethe look of the older Dodge trucks , the Cummins is ok .... but , I'm sure my Blue Oval undershorts would catch fire in a Dodge ! It'll be tough to convince me that my 6.0 PSD 05 F350 is not the best 1 ton truck ever made ....

Old 11-02-2004, 03:03 PM
Logical Heritic
Posting Guru
Bigdaddy. I do not believe this threads intent was to talk about stock engines. So no. I was not refferring to a stock cummins.

Old 11-02-2004, 05:07 PM
tmyers
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Logical Heritic
The big difference is. How much power the cummins can handle while using stock internals. Thats why the cummins is so far ahead.
True that is what I said.

Originally Posted by Logical Heritic
The cummins will also withstand higher rpms due to a better internal balance.
False. It turns more rpms because of its inherent strength. Balance has nothing to do with it. 7 mains compared to 5. Longer stroke and heavier pistons means stronger rod and crank. Any engine properly built is 0 balanced at the crank.

Now give me the parts I need to mod either V8 correctly and the 6 will get left in the dust. V8's of about the same desplacement will always out spin the I6. This is all about stroke. You get much over 4000ft per sec on piston speed and thing start coming apart or you are putting gobs of money into parts. Its why you see small blocks turning 10k and big blocks turn 7k (gas). Shorter stroke means more rpms. Its also why you see V8's in drag racing at the top tiers.

I'm also only referring to the current offerings. The cummins has been around since 94 I think. The basic design has not changed other than the head. For the low budget guy today this is a great choice. But provided that Ford and GM let there current offerings mature for awhile the aftermarket will respond and we will get the parts to build up the bottom end.

Face it, performance diesels except for sled pulling have not been around for very long, the last 3 or 4 years it has come on strong. For the most part these trucks where designed for work and towing. Its only now 30 years after its intro that good and cheap performance parts are available for the 429/460. I think the days of the big gas V8's and V10's are numbered and diesel is the future. I have already decided to put a twin turbo'd PSD in my 56 instead of a 600+ BB ford. Provided of course that the aftermarket comes alive. It only makes sense to run a diesel if it will perform like a gas motor. I think we are almost there.

Quick Reply: Duramax, Cummins or PSD - Who is the most powerful?