1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Can you convert a 3 speed side loader to a floor shift?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2004, 01:38 PM
Sixoh
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Can you convert a 3 speed side loader to a floor shift?

Since I'm going back the 3 speed that I have, I'm trying to avoid the column shift, because I have such a kool floor shift handle to use. Can it be converted to a floor shift? It's the standard 3 Speed Light Duty these trucks came with......

Old 10-29-2004, 01:56 PM
c_rossman
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
www.summitracing.com has them but they are kindof expensive. You may just want to hunt down some junk yards. My 91 mustang has a nice floor shifter in it that would work good in a truck.

Old 10-29-2004, 04:28 PM
pcmenten
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Although anything is possible for the creative gear-head, I'd say, no, there's no tailshaft on your transmission, so there's no place to bolt on a shifter.

Consider using a top shifter 3sp HD transmission or go with a T-98/T-18 four speed. They're as common as dirt.

Old 10-29-2004, 05:33 PM
286merc
Posting Guru
Ansen, Hurst and others made shifters for them. I have an Ansen on my 53; comes with sturdy brackets that mount to existing bolt holes.

Complete units are often on Ebay.

Old 10-30-2004, 10:21 AM
Sixoh
Elder User
What I'm trying to avoid is the T98 since I have a 3 speed in hand now. The T98 is a 3 speed for all intents and purposes.

When looking for an Ansen or Hurst shifter on Ebay, what do you look for? Does it list "3 speed side load floor shift" in the description?

Old 10-30-2004, 10:36 AM
e william
Elder User
I converted my column to floor shift using a universal 3 speed shifter. Mine was a Mr. Gasket "INDY" type unit. Find them on Ebay, Advance Auto, Pep-Boys etc... for apx. $40.00 give or take. I hade to make a couple of modifications to make it work...I added apx. 4 inches to the shifter length so it would be high enough to be reached easily and also clear the top edge of the stock bench seat without having to notch the seat frame itself. Also, the stock column shift rods attached to the trans from the front (trans brackets facing downward at trans...apx. 6:00 position). The new floor shifter will attach the shifter rods from the rear end of the trans, so in order to keep the shift pattern correct the trans brackets will have to be modified so they attach to the rods while facing upwards (apx. 12:00 position). If you have a welder handy you should be able to modify old brackets to work or just fabricate new ones. All said and done, I enjoy the floor shifter better than the 3-on-tree!
I have some pictures in my gallery if you want to look.... Good luck with yours!
Ed

Old 10-30-2004, 05:41 PM
286merc
Posting Guru
When looking for an Ansen or Hurst shifter on Ebay, what do you look for? Does it list "3 speed side load floor shift" in the description?

Look under 49 to roughly 57 Ford. Most are listed for cars but as Ewilliam says it is no big deal to modify the lever. The car and light duty (side shifters) truck trannies are the same unit. Late 50 and up are stronger. You can also use the OD box but this takes a bit of creative work to get around the solenoid which is in the way of the shifter brackets and arms.

Old 10-31-2004, 03:23 PM
57_ford
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Is this what you are looking for? I have riden around as a young kid in the truck this trans came out of but I can not remember how close to the seat it was.

Old 10-31-2004, 08:34 PM
Sixoh
Elder User
Okay kool, I will look then....I may even go to Pep Boys and see if that shifter may work or not. I can fab my own shifter arm, so it doesn't matter what kind the shifter comes with, as long as it's compatible!

Old 01-23-2016, 09:16 AM
Pirate6455
New User
Hello, saw the picture of the side loader Tran with the floor shifter attached. Do you have it yet, if so is it for sale, price and location. My number is 6165028061. Thanks

Old 01-23-2016, 09:35 AM
pbsdaddy
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 968 Likes on 862 Posts
I mean no insult, but I do find it humorous that the things I grew up with, (converting column shift to floor was an everyday thing), are now spoken of like they might be miracles or new inventions. I knew guys that would take the column shifter apart and with the help of some all thread, make their own floor shifters.
Since you probably won't be racing, go with the Mr. Gasket unit. They are inexpensive but reasonably well built and easy to install.

Old 01-23-2016, 11:23 AM
EffieTrucker
Phantom of the Phorum

Received 857 Likes on 456 Posts
Please note, this thread was over eleven years old.

Old 01-23-2016, 11:24 AM
1952henry
Fleet Mechanic
Received 152 Likes on 92 Posts
Contact "Expavr" on Fordbarn. He built a shifter using the top from a four speed adapted to the side shift three speed. Would fool people who didn't know.

Old 01-23-2016, 12:32 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,051 Likes on 802 Posts
Originally Posted by pbsdaddy
I mean no insult, but I do find it humorous that the things I grew up with, (converting column shift to floor was an everyday thing), are now spoken of like they might be miracles or new inventions. I knew guys that would take the column shifter apart and with the help of some all thread, make their own floor shifters.
It is fun to talk to a younger person who has no idea of the basics of an automobile but can tell you what tuner chip to put into the computer to make it perform differently. A while back a new member, who said he was a ASE certified auto technician, couldn't figure out how to work on the "calipers" on his stock '53 F-100. My nephew works all day wrenching on car for a living but has the "deer in the headlights" look when I pop the hood my F-2. Not trying to insult anyone, hate to discourage any young guy from diving into these old trucks but it's fun see what we know is still worth something.

Originally Posted by EffieTrucker
Please note, this thread was over eleven years old.
An oldie but a goodie. I actually want to do this using a OD tranny in my panel truck. I hope after all these years bringing this post back up will encourage someone to do a thorough description and pictures of the procedure.

Old 01-23-2016, 12:38 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
Originally Posted by bobj49f2

An oldie but a goodie. I actually want to do this using a OD tranny in my panel truck. I hope after all these years bringing this post back up will encourage someone to do a thorough description and pictures of the procedure.
If you mean a 3-sp with B-W OD, they don't fit, Bob. Many have wished and tried but they have a governor that falls right on the crossmember, and sticks over into the brake pedal and MC.

Quick Reply: Can you convert a 3 speed side loader to a floor shift?