General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

About divorce...can she take everything?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2004, 03:50 PM
z 97ford1
Laughing Gas
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
About divorce...can she take everything?

Let's say a guy gets married at 40 and a year goes by then decides (for any reason) to get divorced. Can the woman get ANY of his money that he made on his own before he met her?
I mean it's his money that he worked for.....not her's.
Is there anyway to protect what's his before he gets his throat cut....I..I...I mean divorced.

Old 10-28-2004, 04:13 PM
Kundalini
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
prenuptual agreement

Old 10-28-2004, 04:14 PM
theologian
Postmaster
If the woman depended upon the man, to live in a lifestyle the man introduced to her, then she can expect to be supported for some time after a divorce. If there are no circumstances similar in concept to those, then she cannot have any share of any money earned and taxed, prior to the marriage.

A pre nuptual agreement would make that easier to prove....

Old 10-28-2004, 04:17 PM
dhermesc
Posting Guru
A lot depends on the state. The other option is to keep your intentions secret (by not broadcasting them on the WORLD WIDE WEB) and speak to a trusted lawyer who can introduce you to fine art of asset protection and concealment. To be at all successful you need to speak to you lawyer BEFORE even mentioning the idea of divorce to you wife. Like any other major financial transaction it helps to have legal council from the start.

Ask Johnny Carson how much a short term marriage can cost a man.

Last edited by dhermesc; 10-28-2004 at 04:57 PM.
Old 10-28-2004, 04:50 PM
Ghostgunn
Elder User
AS stated above it depends on the state, even prenups don't always work.Having been through the scam twice- I can tell you if they want it they will get it. the big sneaker is the scam on trying to get you thrown out of your own house, take away your car, and ruin relationships with your friends and family. They always say there is no winners in divorce- I say different , whomever knows about the divorce first usually comes out the winner. And actually sometimes getting rid of a problemed person is worth all the money in the world. Go see a great lawyer before you even get into a marriage, another thing is watch the scam of buying them everything right before you get divorced. Actually maybe you should stay single -- there is nothing wrong with that. I would have been less than 40 years old and retired living the good life , if I didn't fall for the scam not once but twice- and I am not being sexist there is alot of men that are no good as well and are playing a game to swindle women as well. I have yet to been with a woman that paid any of my bills to this date, yet I have found they will sue you for about anything when it comes to court time, or b the time oyu get your stuff it is no good at all. My first ex is living in a house I paid for completley, My last would be doing the same if she wasn't such a waste. It just works out that way- one thing I will tell you if they have kids (not yours at all) you will move out, you will lose your car, and everything else. Most states make you responsible for sheltering and maintaining thier lives - not yours. I used to sit and have a beer at the local bar every once in awhile-- if you look around it was full of divorced males telling the same story. I thought they were full of it, afraid not. I have a few women friends that got ripped as well- just a very few although. I used to work for a private eye- basically it is damn hard to conceal assets- if it's taxable the court system will find them, usually in your mothers or brothers name. Good luck

Old 10-29-2004, 07:50 PM
parks911
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If there is no prenuptual agreement then she/he can take you to the cleaners & hang you out to dry.

Old 10-29-2004, 09:15 PM
andym
Post Fiend
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
If you're looking at a divorce situation, and you're a man, you'll be a lot better off mentally if you write off EVERYTHING you own now as lost and gone forever. That way there's no stressing about it later.

You can try to hide assets, but it's illegal, and you'll probably get caught. Unless you have huge sums of money piled away, I wouldn't even try it.

Old 10-29-2004, 09:24 PM
RoyalFord
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
There goes my dream of getting married at 28 with the perfect woman.

Thanks guys for scaring me!

Wait maybe that is a good thing... My good ol' FTE family looking out for their young 18 year old.

OK WAIT A MINUTE... You can't have a bank account she doesn't know about? Is this what you mean by hiding assets? And it is illegal???

Wow, I am really not getting married...

Bryan#50

Old 10-29-2004, 10:21 PM
F2504x4
Lead Driver
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
if you say i do...make sure she is working and stays working and its even better if they make more money then you...then when the big D does happen they support you in the lifestye you have become acustomed tooo

Old 10-29-2004, 10:35 PM
Ghostgunn
Elder User
Basically ,you can't have a banking account that doesn't bare your social security number . Therefore , when you get a divorce they will find it. Yes, I think in all states it would be against the law to hide assets in any court precedings-- believe me someone will squel you out more than likely anyways. Best to put it in a mason jar anyways.....

Old 10-29-2004, 10:45 PM
Carlene
Admom
Received 188 Likes on 116 Posts
Not knowing anything about you, you'll have to determine if you've kept your Pre-marital property seperate. It appears that AZ state is very similar to Fla. Divorce Statutes.

Check out this site:
http://www.divorcesource.com/AZ/ARTICLES/dake8.html

This is an excerpt from that site that is right on point:

How is Property and Debt divided?

When either spouse files for a divorce, all the community property must be divided into separate property, so each spouse is allocated a certain ³equitable² amount of the property. In addition, all community debt must be ³equitably² divided. The term ³equitable² means that each spouse is entitled to roughly half of the community property and debts.It usually does not matter who paid for the property directly, whose credit it was purchased under, or who uses the property most of the time. If the parties cannot agree upon a division of the community property and community debts, then the Court will make a division of that property and those debts.

Property that was received as a gift by one particular spouse, or that was an inheritance by one spouse, is not generally community property. Also, property that either spouse bought or acquired or paid for before the marriage is generally not community property. But there might be some other results if during the marriage the spouse continued to make payments on the property with community funds. It is possible for separate property to be ³co-mingled² so that it loses its status as separate property and becomes community property (i.e. a home owned by one party is deeded to both parties or where community funds are mixed in with separate funds).

Old 10-29-2004, 10:49 PM
hdgapeach
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If she's anything like my ex, what she doesn't get in the divorce "settlement" she'll steal and sell in a yard sale while you are out of town!

Old 10-30-2004, 04:07 AM
Mike W
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Gee, you are bringing back memories from the past. When I got divorced at.....29? The judge said the house was my property because I bought it before I got married. I had some old junk aircraft radios that I bought for the metal parts. The other side said they were worth a lot, wasted their time.

Tried to get my retirement account. I haven't been vested yet, nice try.

She crashed my pristine 64 Ranchero. I bought a 73 after we were separated. She wanted that. Another nice try but no cigar.

I talked to one shark....err lawyer when we were separated. He said to split up everything. I was thinking hmmmn.....paid him for his time and then went out and found a real lawyer.

Old 10-30-2004, 10:52 AM
pchristman
Laughing Gas
I knew a boilermaker once who'd been married a couple-three times. He said the next time he feels like getting married, he'll just find some girl he doesn't like and buy her a house.

Old 10-30-2004, 01:00 PM
rebocardo
Post Fiend
> He said the next time he feels like getting married, he'll just find some girl he
> doesn't like and buy her a house.

If that isn't a Dangerfield line I don't know what is!

Quick Reply: About divorce...can she take everything?