1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

That annoying door chime is finally quiet!

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2009, 08:33 AM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 782 Likes on 595 Posts
Originally Posted by mitey SnoBird
I really hate the dummy chimes period. They drive me insane!

My fix is to kill the messenger directly! I locate the chime itself and rip it life out directly by the throat! On the 99 350 td cc the chime is located inside the GEM module attached to the upperside of the fuse panel which is just above the hood release.

remove the four screws attaching the fuse panel

remove the 2 side plugs by depressing the center tab/catch and tugging firmlly

remove the two main power harnesses on top side of fuse block use a 10mm 1/4 drive socket.... you may have to be an acrobat to get at the blind bolts located topside center....but they are there and the harnesses will slowly unscrew.

once all the plugs are out jimmyjack the block out from under dash...space is tite...be patient. possibly remove the big relays to gain more ease of movement.

once to workbench unclip the black box (this is otherwise known as a GEM module) cover on topside of fuse block, also remove 2 small hold down screws. Treat this circuit board with great care and respect.

There are 4-6 tiny screws securing the cirsuit board to the case...remove them and carefully lift up forwqrd edge of board and you will see the smal black piezo plastic chime inside the round well area.... DO NOT force the board more than a half inch upward!

look at the chime and notice there are two solder pins that attach it to the board.

You have 2 options here...1: snip the wires withha micro saw or 2: use a solder iron to release the 2 legs.

Once you drop the chime out of the solder holes.....simply lift the board up just enough to wiggle it out...toss that sucka onthe ground step on it or shoot the thing with a 44 mag! It will never bleep again at cha...

Now put everything back in reverse oder sans the nasty little ding donger.

Drive forever more in peaceful bliss.

I have yet to encounter any ill effect of tampering with the circuitry in this way.
Welcome to FTE.
Great post! Thanks for sharing.

Old 07-14-2010, 08:51 AM
mark996
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old thread I know, just used the search function to pull this up and successfully tackle this. The door chimes just annoy me when I'm cleaning the truck or doing something that involves having the driver side door open while radio is running. Thanks a lot guys.

Old 07-14-2010, 09:15 AM
superduty4x4
Hotshot
Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts
Ah, the beauty of an OBS. Unplug the dinger box and voila, no more stupid chime First mod I did I believe!

Old 07-14-2010, 11:01 AM
Bob Taulbee
Duct Tape Tech.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got things worked out I will be at RRE 2010. Clay we will be in RV spot #42 arriving on 7-29 and staying until 8-2.
2 Adults My wife Carol and myself C-ya

Old 11-09-2012, 02:16 PM
BoatHauler69
New User
Does anybody know how to do this for an 08 F350?????

Old 06-14-2013, 09:29 PM
Captain George
Junior User
Please excuse me barging in on your thread but I'm looking for help. After starting my F250 Super Dity I hear 5 chimes/ beeps 5 sequential times. It's driving me crazy cause I can't figure out what it means. I'd rather figure it out than disconnect it. Can anyone help??
Thanks

Old 06-17-2013, 11:45 PM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
We may be able to help, but we need to know what you drive beyond "F250 Super Dity".

Pop

Old 06-18-2013, 07:10 AM
Captain George
Junior User
1999 F250 Super Duty 7.3, AT 4 speed, 397k miles, all stock factory equipped.

Old 06-18-2013, 09:15 AM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 782 Likes on 595 Posts
Originally Posted by BoatHauler69
I don't specifically, but I'm willing to bet if you remove the bottom cover of the steering column there will be that single wire going to the ignition lock tumbler.

Old 06-18-2013, 10:17 AM
mueckster
Lead Driver
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by BoatHauler69
Originally Posted by Kwikkordead
I don't specifically, but I'm willing to bet if you remove the bottom cover of the steering column there will be that single wire going to the ignition lock tumbler.
The columns are different and the chime is part of the instrument cluster. You have to pull the cluster out to disable the chime. The proper sized screw in the hole of the chime will disable it.

Old 04-15-2014, 11:10 AM
Rednikke1992
New User
Originally Posted by Kwikkordead
Well folks this was a real easy one. After reading some of the posts here on FTE about how to shut up the door chime with the key in, I took the plunge. I started by removing the three screws that hold bottom half of the steering column cover. The cover basically falls off, revealing the black with pink stripe wire going up to the ignition lock tumbler. You can't miss it, it's the only one going to the base of the tumbler. Turn the key to the "on" position and push the retainer button on the bottom of the tumbler housing and remove the key tumbler. The button is located about a key lengths distance from the hilt of the key as it's inserted in the lock. It looks like a small ball bearing in a hole. Just get a small screwdriver and push on the ball bearing and pull on the lock tumbler at the same time. Out she comes. Ok now remove the top half of the steering column cover. Examining the black/ping wire you will see that it comes up to a small horseshoe plastic retainer that fits onto the bottom of the lock tumbler housing like a set of dentures. Simply slide it out of it's groove and wrap it up with a bit of electrical tape and stash it under the tumbler housing. That part is done. Now you know that very annoying lever that you must push on to get the lock tumbler to turn all the way to the off position and remove the key? It's held down with one bolt. With the cover off of the steering column it's a 30 second affair to remove that annoying little lever that was put there by Ford's liability lawyers. It's a Torx fitting. I didn't bother with going to the tool box and getting one, I just used the pliers that were handy sitting on the floor while I was working and it came out easily. Put the top cover back on the steering column now. Insert the lock tumbler now. Turn the key off. Install the bottom cover. Now you can insert the key in the ignition with the driver's door opened and the chime will not sound. You turn the headlights on it it WILL sound. Key in or not.
One last thing. Go under the driver's seat and unplug the electrical plug under there to shut up the seat belt chime. Now the next time you get in the truck and turn the key on you will only hear the chime tone one beep and that's it with the door open and the seat belt unbuckled. Just please keep wearing your seat belt. I heard a fireman say a long time ago and it stuck in my mind. "I have never had to unbuckle a dead person."
I just installed a stereo in a 91 f 150 xlt lariat I tried to connect luke I've done before but it would not turn on..i hooked The accessory-red and the power-yellow on the stereo to the red and yellow on the wire adapter and it work fine as long as all 4 wires are connected together.but now when I turn. On my headlights it beeps nonstop what can I do..

Old 04-15-2014, 07:21 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Rednikke1992
I just installed a stereo in a 91 f 150 xlt lariat I tried to connect luke I've done before but it would not turn on..i hooked The accessory-red and the power-yellow on the stereo to the red and yellow on the wire adapter and it work fine as long as all 4 wires are connected together.but now when I turn. On my headlights it beeps nonstop what can I do..
Welcome to FTE. You really need to ask this question in the section that covers the early 90's F150's. This is a 10 year old thread regarding a Super Duty diesel, which is wired a little different than your truck.

I'm sure someone here can help you, but you need to be asking in the correct section to get the experience of those who know those trucks. Good luck.

Old 04-15-2014, 07:58 PM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
Need to spread the love around, Chris, but if I coulda', I woulda'!

Pop

Old 04-16-2014, 11:34 AM
SteveH-CO
Fleet Mechanic
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
The proper sized screw in the hole of the chime will disable it.

You can also put a blob of caulk over the hole in a chime to quiet it down, without silencing it.

I have had microwave oven chimes/beepers that I have nuked this way. You still get the chime, but it doesn't grate on your nerves so much. Ford must assume we're deaf with the chime volume.

Old 04-16-2014, 05:51 PM
Pikachu
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by SteveH-CO
Ford must assume we're deaf with the chime volume.
Apparently you've never put the key in a Duramax truck with the door open. I nearly had to go change my underwear. And longjohns. And pants. and Carhartt coveralls.

And socks.

Quick Reply: That annoying door chime is finally quiet!