1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

That annoying door chime is finally quiet!

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2005, 05:53 AM
PowerstrokeJunkie
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i took the extra 3 minutes to take off the steering column cover and remove it at the switch. really easy.

Old 09-06-2005, 07:25 AM
mueckster
Lead Driver
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I was just trying to show everyone there was an easier way to disconnect the key chime switch without going inside the steering column. Hope my info was helpful. Those with manual trannys would still have to go inside to bypass the key lock lever.

Old 09-06-2005, 01:49 PM
pmasley
Lead Driver
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Strokin ----- Chime Murderer ----- HAHAHAHAHA

Old 09-06-2005, 07:15 PM
PowerstrokeJunkie
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
me -> <- chime

Old 04-04-2006, 01:18 AM
79shovelhead
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here is how I did mine on my 01. Yes it is the black with pink wire. If you pull the fuse cover off off under the column. You know the big panel at your legs with the four plastic screws. You can reach to the right side and grab the harness. There is a plug assembly right there. I unpluged that assembly and pulled the red clip out that hold the pins tight. Use a small pick and pop that one terminal.wrap it with tape or a piece of heat shrink tubing. leave it out. put the red clip back in and snap the harness back together. It took less than ten minutes and nothing is cut. The seat belt chime still works but it kills they key chime.

Old 04-04-2006, 06:21 AM
Orezona
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 79shovelhead
Here is how I did mine on my 01. Yes it is the black with pink wire. If you pull the fuse cover off off under the column. You know the big panel at your legs with the four plastic screws. You can reach to the right side and grab the harness. There is a plug assembly right there. I unpluged that assembly and pulled the red clip out that hold the pins tight. Use a small pick and pop that one terminal.wrap it with tape or a piece of heat shrink tubing. leave it out. put the red clip back in and snap the harness back together. It took less than ten minutes and nothing is cut. The seat belt chime still works but it kills they key chime.
Good deal. For your seatbelt chime, your owner's manual should have the proceedure for disabeling it.

Old 04-04-2006, 07:36 AM
mueckster
Lead Driver
Has anyone noticed that after you dosconnected the black with pink wire that the chime still works with the door open and the key in accesssory? I haven't got to figure this one out yet. I need a wiring diagram for the chime circuit.

Old 04-04-2006, 11:47 AM
cangim
Postmaster
Originally Posted by mueckster
Has anyone noticed that after you dosconnected the black with pink wire that the chime still works with the door open and the key in accesssory? I haven't got to figure this one out yet. I need a wiring diagram for the chime circuit.
Mine does a single long tone, then off, is yours a continual beep as when the circuit is not disabled.?

Old 04-04-2006, 04:30 PM
pmasley
Lead Driver
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
I tried what it said in the book with no luck, but now I was able to kill it and the one for the seatbelt in the Taurus.

Old 04-05-2006, 01:34 AM
defib_wizard
New User
I'm gonna check my owners manual for the 2 page & 47 dance step fix before cutting the wire. (2001 F-250 psd cc 4x4). but I had an idea for the guy with the key and tumbler issue. If you go to the ford dealer with your vin they can cut you a new key.and give you the code that goes with a replacement motorcraft key and tumbler. you change the tumblers to the code and your key cut stays the same. so your doors and ignition are'nt different as with an aftermarket key and tumbler.

Old 04-05-2006, 08:06 AM
mueckster
Lead Driver
cangim,
The tone,with door open/ key in accessory, is a continual on-off chime. It continues until I close the door or take the ignition out of accessory. The chime is off when in the ignition position, with or without the door open. Tried removing the interior light fuses to see if power, when the door was opened, was triggering the chime. Lights went out, but chime stayed on. I would like to find the "trigger" wire, so I can disconnect it. I do not have any wiring schematics for the GEM. It looks like the chime is part of this module.

Last edited by mueckster; 04-05-2006 at 08:46 AM.
Old 04-08-2006, 02:37 PM
PurerockRacing
Senior User
Question

hey, is there any way to disable the door chime when the key is in the acc position? We like to play the stereo quite loud with the doors open, and I notice even with the black/pink wire modification, the door still chimes with the key in acc. position. I don't really want to hot wire my stereo direct to the battery... help??

Old 04-08-2006, 04:15 PM
cangim
Postmaster
Well all I did was disconnect the wire out of the tumbler so it wouldn't register the key. When I turn to the accessory postion I get a long tone of about 2 sec. then all turns off. No beeping tones. Mueckster, I dont understand yours, unless there is more than one wire that is black w/pink stripe. Yours sounds to be operating as normal rather than disabled at all. I'd pull the casings off and take it out of the tumbler and see if that is what fixes the problem.

Old 04-11-2006, 07:56 AM
mueckster
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by PurerockRacing
hey, is there any way to disable the door chime when the key is in the acc position? We like to play the stereo quite loud with the doors open, and I notice even with the black/pink wire modification, the door still chimes with the key in acc. position. I don't really want to hot wire my stereo direct to the battery... help??
I think the GEMs are different on different year models and this is the cause of this problem. I have been discussing this problem with dieselmann. I was told that there is a black/yellow wire to the driver's door from the GEM that grounds thru the door ajar switch. This triggers the chime. I am thinking of splicing a switch in this wire to "open" the circuit to prevent the chime from working. Not sure how this will affect things with all doors open. I do not know, yet, whether I can accomplish with just one wire.

Old 04-11-2006, 08:13 AM
PurerockRacing
Senior User
hmmmmm interesting. Seems to me it's something still within the ignition switch circuit (althought my connector has been removed), as it doesn't chime with the key in "off" position, but as soon as current is applied thru the "Acc" position, the chime goes off again. The must be a second wire causing this. My Haynes manual has different wiring for the 99-01 trucks, and then 2002 is totally different from those from what I see.

Quick Reply: That annoying door chime is finally quiet!