Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

Best friend just bought an '04 Dodge 2500 with Cummins

Old 10-27-2004, 07:03 PM
150ford
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Logical Heritic
Something else to stew on.
http://www.jdpa.com/businessservices...04_dieselp.htm

Ford diesels as of 01 reported 430% more problems than their gasser counterparts. Yet they have a very strong level of percieved quality and brand loyaltly. Interesting. So If I read this right. Fords powerstroke was dead last in quality and durability but seemingly at the same time. Have the highest repeat buyer. Thats advertising at work. This was even before the 6.0 debacle.

P.S. Before anyone starts thinking well there are twice as many fords. This is a per hundred unit average. It doesnt matter if there are 100 or 100 million. The 100 unit average is going to be the same.
I doubt if they would be able to keep there market as strong as they do if there wwere that problematic. Ive seen these powerstrokes go 300,000 miles pkus without problems. Has any GMdiesel done this. Not that I know off.. I guess these powerstrokes are not very durable. Geez your statement is totally off base there. Post this over in the superduty or 7.3 forum and people will disagree with you very strongly.

Old 10-27-2004, 07:03 PM
FordLariat
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Evidently, happy or not, Dodge owners aren't happy enough to buy the same vehicle, or even the same brand, Ford has a higher loyalty rate. Nobody can tell me that marketing has kept Ford in front for so long.
wnorman1192, I wasn't directing my last comment at you, sorry if it seemed that way.

Old 10-27-2004, 07:08 PM
wnorman1192
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow that is interesting. Not what you would expect. I think that shows just how good the Cummins and Duramax are. I did expect the Powerstroke to be pretty comparable to the others. Maybe that survey was taken during the 6.0's introduction. The 2004 vehicle satisfaction index shows the Cadillac Ecalad EXT as the Large Light duty pickup that the largest percentage of owners are most satisfied with. That doesn't mean that they will all purchase another one, just as the F150 having the most repeat buyers doesn't necessarily mean that those owners are more satisfied than other truck owners. There are many reasons that a person decides to purchase another vehicle just like they have now or whether it's time to try something new. As a note, the Dodge Ram HD had the highest percentage of satisfied owners in the Large Heavy Duty pickup category. That doesn't mean that they will all purchase another one, even though they were satisfied.

http://www.thecarconnection.com/inde...3&article=7111

2004 Vehicle Satisfaction Index

Large Light-Duty Pickup Cadillac Escalade EXT (repeat winner)
Large Heavy-Duty Pickup Dodge Ram HD

Old 10-27-2004, 07:15 PM
BigF350
Hotshot
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by wnorman1192
It is a known fact that fleet sales are not profitable.
Um, not quite...
Fleet sales bolster production numbers, and therefore Ford is able to arrange with component suppliers to get cheaper prices, as the price of a component to Ford is dependant on the quantity ordered.
So this also means when they do get a private sale, the margins are larger...

Also when Fleet Sales are arranged, it is quite often an agreement with the company that all servicing work must be done at Ford Dealers, and using Ford/Motorcraft parts, so the money Ford looses initially, they gain later in the margin on their oil and fuel filters etc.

Old 10-27-2004, 07:16 PM
Found On Road Dead22
Freshman User
oh lordy...lets not bash trucks....the dodges have their problems and fords have their problems too both are better than chev/gmc....let's not talk about immitation cause it will never end...in 1994 doddge immitated big rigs...they made ford cry ford admitted that in 1999 they tried to match the dodge looks they did a good job and still retained a ford look...now dodgs front grill is even better and ford is copying tonka trucks...dakotas look like rams now too...but the f150 (new one) looks sweet great looking trucks looks like no other...nissan copied that...never ends...except chevy trucks they seriously need to copy somehting other than the avalanche fronts yuck

Old 10-27-2004, 07:17 PM
wnorman1192
Senior User
Originally Posted by 150ford
I doubt if they would be able to keep there market as strong as they do if there wwere that problematic. Ive seen these powerstrokes go 300,000 miles pkus without problems. Has any GMdiesel done this. Not that I know off.. I guess these powerstrokes are not very durable. Geez your statement is totally off base there. Post this over in the superduty or 7.3 forum and people will disagree with you very strongly.
Well, this is where these studies and surveys get taken out of context. These results actually do not say that the Powerstroke had any more problems per 100 vehicles than the Cummins or Duramax. It states that the Powerstroke compared to the 5.4/6.8 has many more problems. It could mean that either the 5.4/6.8 are extremely trouble free, or it could mean that the Powerstroke is indeed trouble prone. It is probably something in between. It does say that the hemi/6.0 compare fairly favorably to the Cummins/Duramax, and that speaks well for those gasoline engines. This doesn't directly compare the Cummins/Durmax/Powerstroke to each other, but it does lead one to wonder why the numbers for the Powerstroke are so much higher than it's gasoline counterparts.

Old 10-27-2004, 07:17 PM
150ford
Post Fiend
The duramax has only been out since 2001. Thats not a fair comparison. The powerstroke has been out since 94 and in the new superduty since 99. GMs new HD line has been out since 2001. Again not a fair comparison.

Old 10-27-2004, 07:20 PM
BigF350
Hotshot
Logical Heretic posted some good and interesting facts, irrespective of what your experience with the powerstroke is.
I have seen Powerstrokes going 500000miles, but that doesn't mean the owners don't think they are noisey, have bad turbo lag, or drink too much fuel...

Old 10-27-2004, 07:20 PM
150ford
Post Fiend
Well, this is where these studies and surveys get taken out of context. These results actually do not say that the Powerstroke had any more problems per 100 vehicles than the Cummins or Duramax. It states that the Powerstroke compared to the 5.4/6.8 has many more problems. It could mean that either the 5.4/6.8 are extremely trouble free, or it could mean that the Powerstroke is indeed trouble prone. It is probably something in between. It does say that the hemi/6.0 compare fairly favorably to the Cummins/Duramax, and that speaks well for those gasoline engines. This doesn't directly compare the Cummins/Durmax/Powerstroke to each other, but it does lead one to wonder why the numbers for the Powerstroke are so much higher than it's gasoline counterparts.
Talk to the guys that have them thats the only thing I go buy. Start a thread on the 7.3 forum and find out how good or bad they are.

Old 10-27-2004, 07:21 PM
Logical Heritic
Posting Guru
This study was of 01 vehicles only. Its a 3 year study. No 6.0s and no hemis.

Old 10-27-2004, 07:25 PM
BigF350
Hotshot
Talk to the guys that have them thats the only thing I go buy. Start a thread on the 7.3 forum and find out how good or bad they are.
Depends what you call "good", reliable yes, but they do have many issues though...

Old 10-27-2004, 07:31 PM
Found On Road Dead22
Freshman User
the 6.0 is awesome for mods and gets great turbo boost...lightweight relative to the old 7.3 and featherweight relative to the cummins...thats why people like it...but i think because things are so much smaller and lighter and its tuned for more power than the old 7.3's it will have more problems and theoretically not last as long...i think that the turboed 7.3's were excellent and were abused by many many people and businesses and have lived through it...id take the 7.3 to work nice heavy...turns over slower ...and id give a 6.0 to a young kid who wants to have some fun but doesnt excpect to work with it for 300 000 miles...

Old 10-27-2004, 07:31 PM
wnorman1192
Senior User
Originally Posted by Logical Heritic
This study was of 01 vehicles only. Its a 3 year study. No 6.0s and no hemis.
I was looking at the bottom of the figures, and it says Source: JD Power and associates 2004 vehicle dependability survey, so I assumed it was a recent survey. I didn't realize that it was a three year study using 2001 vehicles.

Old 10-27-2004, 07:36 PM
bigbluebronco43
Elder User
Ford is actually on the positive side off the ledger this year. Ford finances are much better then 3 yrs ago. With several Ford cars and the new superduty Ford looks to be in fine shape. GM on the other hand with the steep rebates of late is losing more monetythis year then in several years. They have had to cut production at on one of there truck plants do to poor sales. There SUVs are selling slowly. GM might have shot themselves in the foot with thispiston slap issue. This has been a teriible thing for them. It has hurt there reputation badly and they still dont have it remedied. Fords having one off there best truck sales year ever in the history off the company. !0,000 units ahead of GM. Fleet sales arnt the only reason. The general public are buying Ford trucks. After this year Ford will be way on top as for loyalty goes. Dodge truck sales are downthis year.
I think the biggest reason sales are down for GM is because their trucks are getting long in the tooth. Their reaching the end of their production and are outdated compared to the offerings of Ford, Dodge, and Nissan. The rebates are to lure buyers in and buy the rest of the 05's so their not sitting on dealer lots when the new 06 model comes out. Novelty has a very large influence in new model sales in the first two years, after that sales will always decline-which is whats happening to Dodge(redesigned in 02, now in 04 sales have dropped since last year). This is why every few years theres a refresh of the interior, a little bump in power, or whatever to keep buyers interested in that model.

Old 10-27-2004, 07:39 PM
Found On Road Dead22
Freshman User
as for the the original topic LOL...the dodge is a fine truck...all a matter of preference and what u wanna do with it

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Best friend just bought an '04 Dodge 2500 with Cummins