Ontario Chapter Join Chapter>, Leader: loudfords

Insurance Appraisals

Old 08-16-2004, 11:07 PM
FlaresideGlenn
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Insurance Appraisals

I got a letter from my insurance company today that states this: "Effective Jan 1, 2005 we will no longer be insuring vehicles over 20 years of age without a written and photographic appraisal of the replacement valve of the vehicle." It also states that this appraisal must come from a "licensed automobile appraiser" in Ontario and any/all costs of the appraisal are my responsibility.
So I have 2 questions for members in Ontario: 1) anyone know or recommend anyone in the Toronto area? and 2) Are the rates on my old cars going to go sky high if the cars are appraised at a high valve?

Cars in question: 1970 Mustang Mach One, 1983 Mustang GT and 1970 Nova SS.

Anyone else ever encounter this situation or can recommend another insurance company? I currently deal with Certas (good rates, multi-car single driver discount).
Glenn

Old 08-16-2004, 11:19 PM
Mil1ion
New User
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I have to update mine every 5 years as I have had them appraised since 1990..
If you are getting one done, most car clubs & organizers of car shows know someone to do it.

It averages about $100.00 /vehicle.

If you value your cars you will get it done

Old 08-17-2004, 08:30 AM
jimmyk57
Freshman User
I have my truck insured at Lant insurance. I had to get the truck appraised when I first insured it, but haven't had to since. They do recommend reappraisal every-time you fix up things, like if you get a repaint or any other upgrades. The type of insurance I have is not for every day use, but they do let you use your cars on the weekend. Here's the link Lant Insurance
I had my truck appraised years ago by a guy that has a shop out by the Hamilton Airport. All I can remember is that his name was Bob. I'll look ot see if I can find the info on him.

Old 08-17-2004, 04:07 PM
truckfarmingcanuck
Senior User
Ditto on the Lant lead. I'm very impressed with them. I have my F100 and Mustang insured with this company. They do have restrictions but for the most part they are things you wouldn't be doing with your car/truck anyways. I got an appraisal for 75$ which I saved 3 fold in the first 6 months by going with this company.

Good Luck

Old 10-26-2004, 05:34 PM
Johns67
New User
JimmyK57, I too am from Brantford. For a good apprasier try, Specialty-Pro-Appraisal. They are from Branford. Number is 519-770-9257. John

Old 10-26-2004, 07:42 PM
98 nascartruck
Elder User
I am in the process on getting a appraisal done on my truck and i know some of you might be asking "WHY" with a 1998 F-150. Its because of what i actually have and some of you know. To refresh some of you on what i have: 1998 F-150 NASCAR special edtion and there were only 3000 made(1500 auto and 1500 manual), the truck was only offered in the southeastern part of the states. How i got it is that i use to live in Louisville,Kentucky most of my life(CANADIAN BORN). I think i will give Specialty-Pro_Appraisal a call about mine, because i live pretty close to Brantford!!!

Old 10-26-2004, 08:13 PM
Johns67
New User
Nascartruck, if you do call the boys over at Specialty-Pro, Ask for Chris. He started the bussiness, but is getting out due to fact he run the RPM Classsifieds and NSCA mag. Tell him, EZ Nova John sent ya, he'll take care of you. John

Old 10-27-2004, 07:24 PM
Dealford
Cargo Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There's more than 1 way to insure!!!

Those vehicles are NOT your daily drivers!
CLICK THE LINK !!!
http://www.lant-ins.ca/contact.html
Of course you want your cars properly insured, but you don't have to sell the farm to do it!
AL.

Old 10-27-2004, 08:36 PM
77460ford
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You'll find out the type of insurance you have....

when you send in the appraisal. The companies giving good rates only want to deal in totally stock vehicles. How do I know this, I got a letter with my renewal requesting an updated appraisal. I send in the new appraisal and then have fifteen days to find a new insurance company. Custom Wheel Plan worked for me but you'll find others to cover your needs depending on what you have done to your truck. Good luck (it can be a headache).

John.

Old 10-30-2004, 09:13 PM
MercuryM100
Senior User
I originally had a quote from a 'classic' insurance company. I could only drive my truck, a '66 pickup, for cruises and that was it.

My insurance company for our family car ended up covering my truck as a daily driver for only an extra $200 per year.

Old 10-31-2004, 10:37 PM
Jerry Gougeon
Elder User
Just More BS .

We moved back to Ontario a year ago in July and I have yet to find a Company that will insure our '78 4x4 and 86 Fifth Ave as they are telling us they do not insure vehicles over 15 years old not 20 .

They are still insured and registered in Alberta where I maintain an address for work but only returned this year once to pick up the new plate sticker .

My insurance in Ab. is with York Fire and Casualty who's head office is in Missisauga Ont. and insure me through a broker in Edmonton but do not insure any over 15 in Ont. as well .

The Ford has been totally restored and the Fifth Ave has only 78,000K on it .
What's with this ?? They will not even put liability only on them so it has nothing to do with replacement costs.

No wonder there are so many people just driving in this province without insurance and taking their chances . Sick of the BS .

Search this Thread