Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

Factory Engine's Who's is better ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2005, 03:19 PM
FordBuilder101
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Factory Engine's Who's is better ?

Ok

Here are the horse power and torque spec for the Navistar(international)6.0L in fords, Dodge 5.7l HEMI and TurboD, and the Chevey Duramax 6.6L engine. I was unable to find the 7.3L specs on either the ford or Navistar web site so im not going to make up numbers just to post it. Somone else can find them. All these spec's are from the manufacturures web site as to be unbias.

These are in order from best to worst performance.

Dodge TurboD produces 325hp @ ? and 600ftlbs @ ? (didn't list the rpm at cummins)

Ford 6.0L produces 325hp @ 3,300 rpm and 570ftlbs @ 2,000 rpm. Pretty good considering this is the 6.0L and not the 7.3L

Chevy 6.6L Duramax produces 300hp @ 3000 rpm and 520ftlbs @ 1600 rpm. A big difference in torque for a bigger engine.

Dodge 5.7L HEMI produces 345hp @ 5400 rpm and 375ftlbs @ 4200 rpm. This engine in a truck in my eyes is a joke. A high horse low torque high rpm in a truck is useless when it comes to anything "truck related". I would have assumed that dodge would have leared its lession when they produced the SRT-10.

Now let me just put this out there. I would personally recomend that if you are **** enough about "production" truck engines and don't like any of them to put a catapiller C-9 engine in your truck. Rated at 400hp @ 2100rpm
with a whopping 1100ftlbs of torque at 1400rpms. I have put one of these engines in a f-250 before and it is unmatched by any production truck on the market. This engine is an inline 6 that is 537ci. Its weight is 1500lbs and has a bore/ stroke of 4.41 x 5.87.

Now that you have all the facts ....with the exception of the specs for the 7.3L navistar.... you should be capable of debating which engine is in reality the best decision.

~pat

Old 01-18-2005, 03:58 PM
73Fastbackv10
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Um, the Duramax puts out way more power than you've got it rated at. I believe that it has 310 hp, 605 torque.

Old 01-18-2005, 05:21 PM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 57 Likes on 30 Posts
I have put one of these engines in a f-250 before and it is unmatched by any production truck on the market. This engine is an inline 6 that is 537ci. Its weight is 1500lbs and has a bore/ stroke of 4.41 x 5.87.
Did you do this in your garage or did you have a business/shop do it?

Old 01-18-2005, 05:33 PM
Musclecar_Fan
Senior User
Yes the Duramax does put out alot more than listed above, and the Cummins puts out a little more. Those are old stats.

Cummins: 325 HP, 610 lbs/ft torque
Duramax: 310 HP, 605 lbs/ft torque

The Cummins went from 600 to 610 to stay ahead of Chevy in the torque department.

Once again the Hemi is being bashed as a truck motor. Its not a bad idea for a truck. Dodge knows what engine to use for their trucks. They didn't just throw the 5.7 in the Ram, and say that it would do the job. It was designed for use in the Ram lineup, and now modified for the LX cars. (300c,Magnum,Charger)

It all depends on what your setup is. Different gears will give you different performnace, and capability out of the 5.7. I have heard guys say thet the Hemi won't haul worth a hoot, and I have heard guys say that it will haul without breaking a sweat. Again, it all comes down to whats getting the horses and torque to the ground.

Before just bashing the Hemi fpr being a high rever, consider other factors first. High reving doesn't mean bad. Its cleary superior to the 5.4.

FordBuilder101.

What SRT-10 are you refering to ? The Viper or the Ram ? And what lesson would Dodge learn from producing either of the two ?

Old 01-18-2005, 06:13 PM
polarbear
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by 73Fastbackv10
Um, the Duramax puts out way more power than you've got it rated at. I believe that it has 310 hp, 605 torque.
You're correct, but there are two Duramax versions. The 300HP is for the manual transmission, the 310hp comes with the Allison. Kind of interesting- the first time I've ever seen an engine de-tuned for a manual transmission. In the case of the duramax, it's significant- self-rowers give up 75 ft/lbs of torque.

Old 01-18-2005, 07:47 PM
DMAX-HD
Posting Guru
How can possibly base a decsion on PERFORMACE for a diesel motor. That's ridiculous!!!!! It changes every few months anyway. So basically your saying that the 7.3 litre PSD is junk becasue it doesn't have numbers as the 3 later models. But to the contrary I could quite easily say it's a superiour motor for it noted longevity. I said that respectfully Mr. PolarBear was trying to get under your fur - just my opinion.

Old 01-18-2005, 08:16 PM
150ford
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think we all have enough horsepower. The main worry is longevity and durability. The 7.3 is an excellent motor always was and still is despite less power. This power issue is gettin rediculous. Lets concentrate on other features off the truck that would be more important.

Old 01-18-2005, 08:21 PM
tmyers
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lol, you can never have enough power.

Old 01-18-2005, 08:27 PM
DMAX-HD
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by tmyers
Lol, you can never have enough power.
I agree but it's not at the top of my list when I buy a truck.

Old 01-18-2005, 08:57 PM
FordBuilder101
Freshman User
stuff

First off when i refer to the SRT-10 I am talking about the "ram" model. The lession they learned or should have is that it is a truck. When you put a high rpm engine in a truck in order to take full advantage of the power you need a numericaly lower gear set. Which they did. The problem with this is when you have o say a 3.08 rear end your significantly limited as to what you can tow. Also trucks are not like cars. The weight distribution is not there, plus your higher off the ground. So with your center of gravity at about the same level as the middle of the door and all the weight the handling is a far cry from a sports car. So here's what we have.....a truck that was marketed at 50k that didn't handle well, couldn't tow anything, and was not a viper. I think dodge has the mentality that once they create an engine that gets a lot of hipe they can trow it in anything, and it will perform as well as it's original intended use. Hey for 50 grand i wouldn't hesitate to buy a corvette. On a road course it would beat the SRT-10 pickup anyday.

For those who would talk gear ratio's. High horse high rpm motors are just that. Be it a 4.10 gear ratio or a 3.08 you will still only get your max torque and horsepower at high rpms with the HEMI. Those rpms are not dictated by the rear end in the truck. The rear end only dictates at what ratio the drive shaft spins compared to the axles (i.e. So in order to be using your max torque and horsepower you would still have to be running those rpm's). The advantage to low rpm engines is that the reach that treshold around 1000 rpms above idle.

As far as duramax...... Those are the specs i got at the dealership on the way home from work. but for all of you hardcore fans lets not forget were your trucks are coming from (mexico) and better yet who manufactures the duramax engine (izuzu). This is the reason i don't like Chevy, they fired most of the american workers when the NAFTA rolled around and sent all there jobs to mexico were they pay there workers $8.75 a day. Not bad considering the highist payed engineering jobs there 10 years ago were 12 dollar an hour jobs.

The cat engine that not only I but 4 other guys helped install at the shop i work at. Being that it weighs 1500 lbs (significanly more than a 460bbf) there were several suspension modifications that needed to be made. I didn't do the suspension work the other guys did. I was working of getting the engine in. As far as suspension though, they added a 2spd rear end with much bigger leafs. Also installed cross supports in the front of the frame. But like i said you would have to be really **** to want that kind of power in a non-comercal truck.

~pat

Last edited by FordBuilder101; 01-18-2005 at 09:18 PM.
Old 01-18-2005, 09:17 PM
superrangerman2002
Logistics Pro
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by polarbear
You're correct, but there are two Duramax versions. The 300HP is for the manual transmission, the 310hp comes with the Allison. Kind of interesting- the first time I've ever seen an engine de-tuned for a manual transmission. In the case of the duramax, it's significant- self-rowers give up 75 ft/lbs of torque.
Interesting way of looking at it, but I'd bet its to make up for the parasitic losses that the auto has, instead of being detuned for a manual.

*shrug*

Old 01-19-2005, 01:50 AM
DOHCmarauder
Postmaster
Originally Posted by FordBuilder101
First off when i refer to the SRT-10 I am talking about the "ram" model. The lession they learned or should have is that it is a truck. When you put a high rpm engine in a truck in order to take full advantage of the power you need a numericaly lower gear set. Which they did. The problem with this is when you have o say a 3.08 rear end your significantly limited as to what you can tow. Also trucks are not like cars. The weight distribution is not there, plus your higher off the ground. So with your center of gravity at about the same level as the middle of the door and all the weight the handling is a far cry from a sports car. So here's what we have.....a truck that was marketed at 50k that didn't handle well, couldn't tow anything, and was not a viper. I think dodge has the mentality that once they create an engine that gets a lot of hipe they can trow it in anything, and it will perform as well as it's original intended use. Hey for 50 grand i wouldn't hesitate to buy a corvette. On a road course it would beat the SRT-10 pickup anyday.

For those who would talk gear ratio's. High horse high rpm motors are just that. Be it a 4.10 gear ratio or a 3.08 you will still only get your max torque and horsepower at high rpms with the HEMI. Those rpms are not dictated by the rear end in the truck. The rear end only dictates at what ratio the drive shaft spins compared to the axles (i.e. So in order to be using your max torque and horsepower you would still have to be running those rpm's). The advantage to low rpm engines is that the reach that treshold around 1000 rpms above idle.

As far as duramax...... Those are the specs i got at the dealership on the way home from work. but for all of you hardcore fans lets not forget were your trucks are coming from (mexico) and better yet who manufactures the duramax engine (izuzu). This is the reason i don't like Chevy, they fired most of the american workers when the NAFTA rolled around and sent all there jobs to mexico were they pay there workers $8.75 a day. Not bad considering the highist payed engineering jobs there 10 years ago were 12 dollar an hour jobs.

The cat engine that not only I but 4 other guys helped install at the shop i work at. Being that it weighs 1500 lbs (significanly more than a 460bbf) there were several suspension modifications that needed to be made. I didn't do the suspension work the other guys did. I was working of getting the engine in. As far as suspension though, they added a 2spd rear end with much bigger leafs. Also installed cross supports in the front of the frame. But like i said you would have to be really **** to want that kind of power in a non-comercal truck.

~pat

Guess you forgot Ford makes some of their Super Duties in Mexico????

Dude, lose all you RPM, torque, gear ratio mumbo jumbo. Go drive a Hemi then a 5.4 3 valve. Ford aint selling all the F150's because of their motor.
I also wouldn't care if my gasser is running 3-4000 RPM pulling a grade.(do it in my V10 all the time.

The SRT-10 makes as much sense as a Lightning(still like the L better for 15K less) they are for fun. They'll tow a small boat or jet skis and look cool doing it.

Makes as much sense as having a 190 MPH motorcycle........I got one, so what??

Old 01-19-2005, 02:12 AM
ChevyRacing
Junior User
The RPM rating for the DMax is 3100 @1800 and as for the torque, i think GM is gonna bump it up a little for 06, and the much newer models are gonna get a new diesel. The Ford 7.3 pumps 310 hp @ 500 ft lbs of torque, from that article from truckworld before they changed everything.

Old 01-19-2005, 02:21 AM
polarbear
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by FordBuilder101
Just for the record, that mexican plant was built for El Caminos in the 80's- long before NAFTA came around. That plant currently builds Tahoes/Suburbans/Avalanches/Short Box Crew Cabs without the duramax.The duramax trucks are domestic assembly. GM has, and will continue to downsize the workforce in the US- unfortunately the jobs aren't being exported, they're just vanishing, victims of overcapacity. Welcome to the car biz in the 21st century.

Old 01-19-2005, 02:25 AM
polarbear
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by DMAX-HD
I said that respectfully Mr. PolarBear was trying to get under your fur - just my opinion.
My apologies if I was- certainly wasn't intended that way.

Quick Reply: Factory Engine's Who's is better ?