1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

What kind of seats have you installed in a 65?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2004, 01:17 AM
djshoser
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question What kind of seats have you installed in a 65?

I have a 65 F100 Custom cab, and would like a better seat than stock. I have seen the Steel Horse aftermarket seats on eBay and Summit Racing, expensive but nice looking. Has anybody tried those seats, and were they worth the cost and effort? Does anyone have any other seats that they installed that worked well?

Thanks,

Djshoser

Old 10-22-2004, 07:22 AM
FordBoypete
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Since I don't have in cab fuel tank, mine is split back bench out of a 1977 Ranger XLT
Super Cab with Cloth Covering. It's sits on pair of standard cab (opposed to S/C) seat tracks, all work from 65 thru 79 std cab.

I crowd in 4 people, ride with 3 easily and 2 people have all the room in the world. Behind the seat is storage & tunes etc. I can tilt the pass side back forward when I'm alone to access what's behind there.

I don't have any $$ in that set up. I wouldn't change it for anything. I have power buckets in my T-Bird & my wife's Van, but I like comfort & support a XLT seat provides me and I can ride all day without fatigue or distress. . . .

FBp

Old 10-22-2004, 08:13 AM
daveengelson
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Used 68 seat, as FBp indicated same trac's as 65, slightly wider and Ford went to using bolts to secure back section to bottom. Found it allows for more options. Found 86 seat, which has the folddown arm with coffee holder, and swapped it with the 68 back. Took 86 bottom padding, with the contoured molding, and place on 68 bottom frame. Sets lower, and preferred the contoured molded seat. Located reasonable shop who reuphostered for $300. I found it too difficult modifying 65-79 trac's to later model bench. If recall paid about $100 for the 68 and 86 bench seat. If you came across bottom of 68-79, and back of later model in same salvage yard, which is unlikely, could same some money by making swap in yard.

May sound more involved than it really is. Anyhow, another option to consider. Good luck.

dave

Last edited by daveengelson; 10-22-2004 at 08:25 AM.
Old 10-22-2004, 10:47 AM
William
Logistics Pro
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
86 Ford bench on 66 sliders.

Old 10-22-2004, 11:32 AM
daveengelson
Lead Driver
I was not successful getting the 65 trac's mounted on the 86 bench, which is why took the 86 back, and swapped it with the back on the 68. If find the 68 seat too high, should be able to remove some padding to desired hight, or as I had done, took the padding from the 86 and had it installed in the 68 seat frame. This is what like best about the FTE forum, so many different options, or ideas.

dave

Old 10-22-2004, 03:13 PM
cobraguy
Posting Guru
Seats I've used......70 Merc Marquis split bench 6way power and very comfy, Datsun buckets, 84 buick regal 60/40 split, Mustang GT Rocarro, 96 Aerostar rear bench.

Old 10-22-2004, 11:36 PM
camperspecial65
Postmaster
DJ, what color/condition is original seat in...Im looking for a decent original seat for my 65

Let Me Know, cs65

Old 10-23-2004, 02:31 PM
supasam
New User
I put honda civic seats in my 65. That was pretty rough, as the two vehicles are very different beasts. I took some floorboards out of an acura integra and just bolted them down for the front and door sides of the seats. The inside rear mount bolted nicely to the (stock?) seat belt bolt hole with a little clearancing for the in-cab tank. The seats have built in seat belt buckles, so I still have to install the civic seatbelts. These seats sit a good couple of inches higher up than my bench did and the huge oem steering wheel almost touches my thigh. The drivers seat moved a little toward the center so the wheel is more to my left and the stick is a lot closer than it used to be. I'm a tall dude so the height works out well for me, and the difference in seat position is just great, it makes the driving a lot more frendly. The headrests on the seats go right in with the contour of the rear window. It's a good mod. Now I have room for a center console too! I just got to grind it up and paint it now. Oh and install the belts.

-sam

Old 10-23-2004, 11:10 PM
GregTruck
Elder User
I'm with cs65 who is looking for a stock seat. I wouldnt trade my nice springy 65 seat for any modern day overkill. Seems like that would ruin the whole feeling of the vintage. I know a lot of folks enjoy customizing and thats fine. Then there are others like me who keep it stock as I can stand it. I may put a radio in mine. I would be OK with a stock AM-FM if they made one for trucks in 65. Did they?

Hey upgrade crowd. Send me your old junky stock radio and I'll send you an AM-FM CD player!

Old 10-23-2004, 11:56 PM
djshoser
New User
GregTruck,

I may take you up on that offer for the AM-FM-CD player <grin>....

Old 10-24-2004, 07:07 AM
daveengelson
Lead Driver
Don't believe 65 Ford truck came w/ am-fm radio. Admire purest who maintain these rides in original condition. Difficult to find them anymore. Drove my 65 for past 25 years before making any upgrades. When you get to my age p/s, pb, and little bit more padding for the back side is comforting. Also has am radio, do not want to cut into dash, but strickly for show. Not able to pick up but couple am stations. Considering installing sys. in glove compartment.

dave

Last edited by daveengelson; 10-24-2004 at 07:11 AM.
Old 10-24-2004, 10:48 AM
djshoser
New User
I bought an underdash pod from Crutchfield that I installed under the dash of my 64 Ranchero. I was able to add an am-fm-cd player, and only had to drill a couple holes to mount the pod. It looked very nice, and did not have to mess up the dash.

Old 10-24-2004, 08:10 PM
tasdad
Freshman User
K.i.s.s

I kept my stock bench seat, just recovered it in a two tone matching vinyl pattern. My 65 custom cab is all original except for a holley 4 bbl carb, American Racing rims, and a CD player. I've been working on painting the engine old Ford blue, the next project will be fix up some rust spots around the door. I really like the way it drives (352 with power nothing-brakes, steering, or tranny!)

Old 10-24-2004, 11:54 PM
GregTruck
Elder User
Originally Posted by camperspecial65
DJ, what color/condition is original seat in...Im looking for a decent original seat for my 65

Let Me Know, cs65
Hi cs65, I got your note but this crazy forum wont let me use the mail service since I am a new member. My interior is red and white. I have a nice seat. I can use other things like door stuff, and a horn ring. I havent decided if I will put any more money into this truck. I have already had the massive overdrive tranny out. I dont know how the engine is going to do since the clutch fork pivot broke after one drive home. Now that it is repaired I can see how the engine is going to perform. I drove it down the road for the first time since putting in the clutch and new bellhousing and noticed that in first gear there is a roar in the gearbox when I let off the gas. This may be normal for all I know. I didnt get to drive it enough to know if it made the noise before or if its something I created. The only harm that could have come to the tranny that I know of would be when I came to a stop in high gear with no clutch the night it broke. Lots of jerking which I know isnt good. She still seems to shif fine and is quiet on the pull. Might be OK. Hope so! If the thing ends up being fairly dependable I will probably fix her up some but I really bought it as a driver/winter work horse.

Old 10-25-2004, 11:21 AM
djshoser
New User
Talking

CS65,

My seat is original, although it had a cover put on a while back. The threads are showing through, and I'm pretty sure the seat structure is fine, I have driven a few times with it and it is fairly comfortable. I am looking for something a bit more modern. I will upload some pictures of the truck and my progress as soon as I can, and will upload the seat pictures if you are interested. I live in Northern Cal, SF Bay area.

I have (4) 1963 Falcons I am working on: 1 Convertible Sprint; 2 Sprint hardtops; and one Futura Hardtop Race Car. I guess I'm kind of addicted to those old Fords. I thought this 65 F100 would look very cool towing my 1963 Race car to the track, and it may become my daily driver. I plan to paint it in the next month or so, it is originally baby blue, and I am thinking of tourqoise and white. I always liked that combination.

Dave

djshoser

=================
Originally Posted by camperspecial65

Let Me Know, cs65

Quick Reply: What kind of seats have you installed in a 65?