Minnesota Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: fordpower88

Wheeling near Mankato, anyone?

Old 10-21-2004, 12:09 PM
MnHiFlyer
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wheeling near Mankato, anyone?

I'll be down near Mankato for Halloween weekend. Anyone in the area know of good wheeling spots? I've never done it really, and I have this lifted Bronco that needs a good workout. I only have 32x11.5 BFG A/Ts with a 4" lift, and no winch, and no experience, though I consider myself a very competent driver having spent many years riding snowmobiles and ATV's and owning some very, very fast cars. I just haven't spent much time offroad with a real truck. If anyone lives near there that wants to get dirty, let me know and I'll bring my rig. Probably not really interested in bogging super deep mud holes specifically, but whatever can be done fun and safely and make sure I can still drive it back to the Cities Sunday night!

Old 10-22-2004, 03:57 PM
lowboy250
Senior User
I know that there is a club there called the River Valley Off-Roaders. This would be the club to contact for any wheeling that weekend. I'm from Mankato originally and I can't think of any area that would be suitable for wheeling on a weekend. Most of these events are planned weeks in advance and clubs usually don't like tag alongs for insurance reasons. They also like to wheel and not pull people out. If you are interested in wheeling, why don't you come to a meeting for the club I'm in- the Minnesota Go-4 Wheelers? We meet in Golden Valley at the American Legion and wheel in Dresser, WI at the Trollhaugen Ski area. Look at memorial4x4.org for information about meeting times, and show up at a meeting to check it out. We'll be wheelin' throughout the winter, so if you want to wheel, this is the club to join.

Old 10-24-2004, 08:20 PM
the real Broncoholic
Senior User
will you be down on the 30th
if so you should come with us
check my other post

Old 10-25-2004, 09:33 AM
MnHiFlyer
Junior User
I'll plan to be in Mankato the 30th.

Lowboy250, I'll take a look at that site. My g/f lives on the border of New Hope and Golden Valley, if the Legion you're talking about is at Winnetka and Medicine Lake Rd, I'm usually about 2 blocks from there.

What kind of wheeling do you do in the winter? Snowy backroads?

Old 10-29-2004, 04:41 PM
lowboy250
Senior User
The legion I'm talking about is right next to Hwy. 100. Can't remember the road you turn off on, but it's on the website. The area that we use for wheeling is the Trollhaugen Ski area in Dresser, WI, about an hour from Golden Valley. There is a winter run there at the end of February. We also have a run on New Year's weekend @ Cloquet, MN called Sober Up. We wheel on designated trails with obstacles that are natural or built. In the winter, we may be able to responsibly go off the trail because we will not be damaging the land. In the summer, we stay on th trails. That's not to say we don't have fun though. Many times it's not the wheelin', but the people that are involved that make it fun. We are always looking for good new members that want to be involved in a club. It seems like it's difficult to get people to go wheelin', but when you have a large group like we do (140 families), there are always people there and we always have fun. Let me know when you'll make it to a meeting and I'll try to be there to answer any questions you may have.