Sponsored by: DP Tuner

The Real Deal About the Price Of Fuel

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2004, 09:56 PM
nojeffgordon
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Real Deal About the Price Of Fuel

Diesel is just the junk/trash fuel from when refining so here are my thoughts on why the price of Fuel and mainly diesel is up:

Before 9/11 (hope all of you remerber that) the Gov. deregulated the trucking industry.. After 9/11 (we must NEVER FORGET) they (the Gov.) discovered "hey we messed up" with this deregulation deal, but will not admit it, They also now know the next act of attacks on the USA is most likly by trucks (large tankers) OR by train..
Anyway,
#1 in order to weed out the independent truckers and somehow regulate the industry, rasing Diesel will in return choke out them out. Large trucking companies (like JB Hunt, Wearner and etc..) have their rigs set to run around 68 mph, thus getting better MPG's; they get some tax and price breaks on fuel and if you notice, their shipping cost have stayed they same..maybe a sur- charge.. So, the smaller companies or the independent owner /operator will have to go up on his rates, he will have to run 85 to get there and make his money..and in fact he/she won't last.... SO this act is very much supported by the big companies which may have came up with the idea in the first place..corporate criminals playing with tanks!!
#2. Greed..
#3. Because they can and all of us are too damn busy or too damn lazy to do something about it.

Get involved, write your State Rep. , I have!!

Old 10-21-2004, 11:06 PM
overtime_ranchero
Junior User
I'd like to see JB Hunt or such haul dirt or aggregates. Conservation fixed the electricity crisis in California.

My $.02

Old 10-21-2004, 11:13 PM
Beast01
Senior User
Unhappy Highway robbery

Finally, someone who gets it and is willing to actually say something about it . I know that we are not supposed to talk politics on this site but, unfortunately we can not ask "WHATS UP WITH THE PRICE OF DIESEL?" without discussing the real problem: Our government and people unwilling to do something about it, pretending that this will all go away . If you want to do something about fuel prices please start talking to your Loved ones, Family, Friends and co-workers to get envolved as nojeffgordon has stated and write the officials YOU ELECTED and tell them how you want to be represented.

Old 10-22-2004, 11:06 PM
Renagade 306
Freshman User
I cant leave this one alone after paying 2.20 a gal. here in co. This sucks plain and simple

Old 10-23-2004, 12:35 AM
freddyfast9
Senior User
yep 2.20 here in michigan it's more expensive than premium,I never thought I would see that one.

Old 10-23-2004, 02:13 AM
Beast01
Senior User
Thumbs down Look At This Nonsense

Just went up again around the corner from me here in Mesa AZ. @ $2.35/gallon
NOUGH' SAID!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by Beast01; 10-23-2004 at 02:15 AM. Reason: ADD MORE
Old 10-23-2004, 05:37 AM
blackf3504dr
Elder User
Well lets see .... Trucking was deregulated in the 1980s , Presedent Carter signed the deregulation bill and it became law under Presedent Ragan ( the trucking companies did not want it ) . Yes diesel is the "bottom of the barrel" when it comes to motor fuel but it also heats homes ( big this time of year ) and is also what powers jet aircraft . It is also used in the petrochemical industry . JB's trucks are governed at 62 mph , and no , they don't get any tax breaks on fuel what they and all carriers get ( even O/Os ) is the right to a "fuel surcharge" on the fuel used . They do get a discount from the suppliers because they buy in volume . When you run a few thousand trucks like JB or Werner does you can expect a break on the price you pay for fuel and tires , oil etc .. but you're right most are and have been for years governed at 62-72 mph. , but fuel cost is only part of the reason , insurance companies have a lot of clout when it comes to setting policy at a company . So to get a lower insurance rates the trucking company will govern the trucks for lower speed ( we all know speed kills , LOL ! ) It's not only the O/Os that are getting hurt , remember Consalidated Freightways ? it WAS the one of the biggest carriers in the country !

Old 10-23-2004, 12:33 PM
freddyfast9
Senior User
I have a friend that hauls campers out of indiana the camper capital of the U.S. and they are all dying a slow death due to the fuel prices they only get 70-85 cents a mile and use their own pickup mostly retired truck drivers union and non union guys trying to supplement their income he said that it's almost to the point where it's not worth it.

Old 10-23-2004, 02:29 PM
blackf3504dr
Elder User
Yeah I agree with ya freddy . You need a back haul to make any money , some guys haul RVs out and stock trailers or utility trailers back but that's not always possible . The price of everything we use is going to go up to make it worth someone hauling it , from toiletpaper to cars . Now think of stopping for fuel with a big truck and pumping 300 gal. at $2 + a gal. and getting 6 mpg !

Old 10-23-2004, 08:32 PM
freddyfast9
Senior User
black F-350 I feel for those guys man I hauled those things out of elkhart for a while and never seemed to get a backhaul and the company that I signed on with kept out fuel surcharge how do you like those apples.I would get a nice paying load out to tempe and come back empty I might have had one backhaul every 3 months and my truck took a pounding I found that the only way to make any money is a single axle truck with a sleeper and haul cars.a dually has no business hauling a trailer with 3 full sized vehicles like a couple vans and a truck although I saw a lot of it and they get double the mileage of the big tractors.

Last edited by freddyfast9; 10-23-2004 at 08:37 PM.