Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Ran her out of fuel and now a rough intermitant idle

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2004, 09:48 AM
PLBNYN
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ran her out of fuel and now a rough intermitant idle

Had the mis fortune of running a 95 F350 7.3l out of fuel. Refilled both tanks, bleed the fuel lines off at the shrader valve till the ran free of air. Drove to work (6 miles) let her sit for a full 24 hour shift, drove home no problems, drove her to the dump with lite load (not enough weight to hit the over ride shocks) had a rough idle with less han 1/2 power, stepped off the clutch let her idle down problem went away, happened couple of times with same results. t'other day started her up to go to dinner, she started the rough idle thing, bled fuel off and never made it to dinner. The check engine light comes on, and I am going back to work tomorrow. Any help or idea would be great. The wood cuttin' firefighter

Old 10-21-2004, 01:49 PM
BigRed350
Senior User
I've run both of my tanks dry more times than I want to admit! I have never encountered any problems and have never had to bleed off any air from the lines, I thought they purged themselves?? The only thing I can think it could be that would have caused a permanent problem is it sucked some crud from the bottom of the tank and clogged the fuel filter??? Have you drained the bowl and checked the filter?

Old 10-21-2004, 10:20 PM
PLBNYN
New User
update on rough idle

brought the F350 to the shop to have it diagnosed and found out that I had burnt the wiring harness for the injectors. the damage to the wiring harness was at the same time as I had run thetruck out of fuel. 800.00 later with a new wiring harness, 3 new glow plugs and a fuel filter she runs a s good as the day I bought her. Would like to know if any one subscribes to all data, I know that is what a buddy of mine uses for helping in High School Auto Tech.

the wood cuttin' firefighter

Old 10-22-2004, 02:28 AM
BigRed350
Senior User
SO....could running the tank(s) dry lead to a wiring harness damage? If so, HOW???? Could it have been a coincidence?

Old 10-22-2004, 07:09 AM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 791 Likes on 603 Posts
Originally Posted by BigRed350
SO....could running the tank(s) dry lead to a wiring harness damage? If so, HOW???? Could it have been a coincidence?
Absolute pure coincidence.

Old 10-22-2004, 07:19 AM
mtncrawler
Senior User
Or multiple back to back glow plug cycles?

Old 10-22-2004, 08:27 AM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 791 Likes on 603 Posts
Originally Posted by mtncrawler
Or multiple back to back glow plug cycles?
Hmm, I don't see how. The glow plug circuit is a seperate wire from the injector wire in the harness itself. Once it's running the glows shut off.

Old 10-22-2004, 01:47 PM
mtncrawler
Senior User
The connector passage through the valve cover gasket. Not sure but I think the outside pins are the glow plugs and the inside ones are the injectors. A buddy of mine showed me his gasket where that connector was all melted causing short circuits. It's been awhile but I also seem to remember he was jumping a bad glow plug relay to get started for awhile. The idea being that putting power to the glow plugs for too long heated up that connection to the point of failure. So am I confused as to what happened or am I not remembering correctly? Also, I thought the glow plugs stayed on even after the engine started up to about two minutes?

Old 10-22-2004, 07:05 PM
mech2161
Posting Guru
PLBNYN I've got Auto Data in my shop. Should be real similer. I can access it from home also in the evening.

Old 10-22-2004, 07:51 PM
mech2161
Posting Guru
Well DAH! It is Alldata. Had to go to the shop and get my password. I guess thats what happens.

Old 10-23-2004, 06:43 PM
PLBNYN
New User
Thanks for the replys, I will probblly get Alldata at $25 per year per vehicle, and as soon as I talk with the mechanic I will update on the situation with the F350, I know that I have had some problems in the past with hard starting at cooler temps (Stockton get dwn to the high 20's) and then the problem went away. I had been planning to put in new glow plugs all around but was having a hard time figuring out which to buy, the FORD ones or the NAPA auto parts ones. Any info on the different types would be great. The wood cuttin' fire fighter

Old 10-24-2004, 03:07 PM
mech2161
Posting Guru
I've had a cold for 3 days and cant think straight. I do have ALLDATA. It's the complete system. If I can help let me know.

Old 01-03-2005, 05:03 PM
PLBNYN
New User
Ran her out of gas and now have a rough idle

About a month ago I asked for info on this topic. I got the answer from the mechanic who worked on the truck 1996 F350 Power Stroke. it seems as though the wiring harnes to the injectors (also the valve cover gasket) had a short and burnt the connection, ruining the gasket as well as the harness from the computer.Bill the mechanic checked the injectors, replaced all of the glow plugs for 1000.00 On christmas morning while driving from Co 3 to Co 10 the same problem happened agian. Towed the truck to the shop and the cam shaft sensor was bad.Went to pick it up and it was hard to start, seven times through the glow plug warm up. Let it there another shift and found the fuel pump ws leaking behind the diaphragm. I have the truck now, runs like achamp. As someone else stated the running out of fuel is not atremedous issue, the worst thiing that can happen is the lubrication from the fuel will mess up the injectors. I appreciate all of the help.
I am also looking for a discussion on Biodesiel, purchasing and even making it. Desiel her in Central California is still 2.09/ gal.
The wood cuttin Fire fighter

Old 01-03-2005, 05:18 PM
1997F-350
Postmaster
Originally Posted by PLBNYN
Thanks for the replys, I will probblly get Alldata at $25 per year per vehicle, and as soon as I talk with the mechanic I will update on the situation with the F350, I know that I have had some problems in the past with hard starting at cooler temps (Stockton get dwn to the high 20's) and then the problem went away. I had been planning to put in new glow plugs all around but was having a hard time figuring out which to buy, the FORD ones or the NAPA auto parts ones. Any info on the different types would be great. The wood cuttin' fire fighter
autozone sells the motorcraft zd-11 ones for 9 bucks same you get at ford for 22.

Old 01-03-2005, 05:23 PM
1997F-350
Postmaster
Originally Posted by PLBNYN
About a month ago I asked for info on this topic. I got the answer from the mechanic who worked on the truck 1996 F350 Power Stroke. it seems as though the wiring harnes to the injectors (also the valve cover gasket) had a short and burnt the connection, ruining the gasket as well as the harness from the computer.Bill the mechanic checked the injectors, replaced all of the glow plugs for 1000.00 On christmas morning while driving from Co 3 to Co 10 the same problem happened agian. Towed the truck to the shop and the cam shaft sensor was bad.Went to pick it up and it was hard to start, seven times through the glow plug warm up. Let it there another shift and found the fuel pump ws leaking behind the diaphragm. I have the truck now, runs like achamp. As someone else stated the running out of fuel is not atremedous issue, the worst thiing that can happen is the lubrication from the fuel will mess up the injectors. I appreciate all of the help.
I am also looking for a discussion on Biodesiel, purchasing and even making it. Desiel her in Central California is still 2.09/ gal.
The wood cuttin Fire fighter
i may be mis reading your post. did you get a new harness and gaskets and glow plugs for 1 grand or just glow plugs?
i paid about $80 dollars(glow plugs) for mine at autozone and did it myself in my garage in about 3 hours(first time at that)

Last edited by 1997F-350; 01-03-2005 at 05:29 PM.

Quick Reply: Ran her out of fuel and now a rough intermitant idle