S. California Chapter Join Chapter, Leader:

Is 4x4 worth having in SoCal?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2003, 09:56 AM
sinjin
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is 4x4 worth having in SoCal?

I thought to ask this here for regional simplicity.

I'm thinkin to buy a F-350 and like the idea of having 4x4 just in case of snow or whatever but I am not a serious off-roader. Am I wrong in believing that at least from the stand point of SoCal there are relatively few places to off-road anyway? I guess a better question relative to my lifestyle is this:

Would having 4x4 open up camping opportunities unavailable to 2wd trucks? I'm also not a huge fan of the desert so I suppose the mountains, beaches(I know about Pismo) and lakes is what I'm specifically referring to.

Again I'm really talking about accessing areas not bashing around in the mud or crawling over boulders.

Old 10-24-2003, 03:57 PM
jimandmandy
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I only have it because my property is difficult to access when it snows. All off-road camping that I have done was in the summer and a 2wd rig is adequate for that. My 2wd Ranger took me many places in California and Arizona.

A 4x4 costs more to buy, more to register, more to insure, more to feed and more to maintain. Highway ride and handling are not as good.

Jim

Old 10-24-2003, 04:01 PM
sinjin
Posting Guru
Appreciate your thoughts Jim.

Old 11-04-2003, 01:22 PM
hyepwrd
Senior User
everyone i've met from the foothills or sierra nevadas has told me that 4x4 doesn't do anything but get you stuck in the mud faster.

what they all mean by that is: if you do any serious off-roading, you'll know what you need.

Answer: hell no.

as j and m mentioned, you also have the costs and maintenance to worry about, which add up fast.

Old 11-04-2003, 03:13 PM
theologian
Postmaster
There are a number of good off road places to go play in Southern California, and Arizona. Four wheel drive is a luxury, until you need it, then it is necessary to get you out of wherever you got into. I have 4x4 on all my trucks, and two regularly take trips to SoCal, where four wheel drive has been used on a few occasions. I will not buy a 2x4 truck, because of the travelling I do - I use 4x4 every winter, and often during the summer, in almost every state west of the Tennessee River. (I don't get to the eastern states very often.)

I have not found that modern 4x4 trucks are more uncomfortable than the 2x4 counterparts. They are usually higher, so rollover is technically more likely, but careful use of any vehicle tends to negate that threat. Maintenance can be more, because of a complete duplicate drive train to the front, but it will not get as much use as the rear, so lasts longer usually. As I stated earlier in the reply, the one time you miss having 4 wheel drive is when you really need it, then it can save a tremendous amount of money - self extraction from places you should have avoided is far cheaper than getting a tow truck come get you. I have extricated my self many times, where a 2x4 would have needed a tow truck. This has not always been offroad. In SoCal last year, I needed 4x4 twice on the coast road, after heavy rain had loosed mud over the road. I was the only truck moving at one time. (I pulled out a number of 2 wheel drive SUVs, thus introducing me to such beasts)

So, Would I ever buy a 2x4, No, I like the option of having each end driven. It is far too useful.

Theo

Old 11-15-2003, 01:50 AM
rlh
Posting Guru
There is a lot of rugged terrain in Southern Cal. You don't nec. have to get a 350 to get a 4x4 unless you are into towing large campers or horse trailers. There are lots of people into horses. With
the fires approaching a couple of weeks ago, I was in Cincinnati for a professional meeting and my wife called and asked, " if we get evacuated, which vehicle do you want me to take, the Rodeo, or the Bronco?" I said, " The Bronco, its paid for and if you get trapped on the road somewhere, you can get around it. The point being its a good thing to have in the event of natural disaster. Fire, earth quakes, mud slides, etc.!!!!

Cost more to register? Hell, its California!

Old 11-15-2003, 02:02 AM
willd
Elder User
Always err on the side of safety or increased re-sale value. 4x4 can save your life in an emergency and 20 years from now the truck will be worth 3 times what a 2wd will be worth.

Old 12-12-2003, 03:52 PM
lsendel
Junior User
Was cruising the posts. Had to reply to this older thread.

Moved to SOCAL eight years ago with a 4x4. Never used the 4 wheel drive in the two years I owned the vehicle in SOCAL. I did use the 4 wheek drive when I owned the vehicle in Maryland when it snowed heavy. Glad for it, then.

Bought a SUV in 2000 and DID NOT get the 4x4. Since then, NEVER needed to use it. Still own the car. Bought out the lease last month and will continue driving it beyond the 80K it now registers. With the 4x4, the SUV would have cost about $2000 more when new. Kelly Blue Book value for my 2x4 is $930 less than the 4x4.

Is a 4x4 worth it? To me, not on the street. Unless you plan on heading to the higher elevations where it snows. Costs more at outset, costs more to maintain. Plenty of places for off road. But, I wouldn't do that in a $30K SUV.

My two cents.

Old 12-12-2003, 09:29 PM
rlh
Posting Guru
Well, I work in areas with sand etc. and if you don't have 4x4, don't expect to be on time for dinner. If you don't need it, you don't need it, but being in Southern Cal doesn't have anything to do with it. I did without one in the snow for years.

Old 12-13-2003, 11:38 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
A lot depends on driving style.

If you're good - you can get by without it.

If you're good and in deep kimchee....

You better have 4X4

It's up to you....

Old 12-15-2003, 12:41 PM
FreeAgentRider6
Senior User
I would say get it.. You think you have everything planned out..But tomorrow it could change.. and plus you can use 4x4 is urban situations.. Pulling out stumps in your yard.. stuff like that.. just my 2 cents

Old 12-15-2003, 03:01 PM
willd
Elder User
When your stupid friend buries his 2wd toyota taco in the sand a mile from the nearest paved road and you owe him a favor, you will thank goodness you had 4wd.

Either that or you will be using a lot of chain.

Old 12-18-2003, 09:05 PM
XCUR&F350
Trailering
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
If you can afford 4WD we suggest you get it.

If you're always on pavement 2WD is fine.

No one mentoned it but also suggest for minimal addl cost, a "limited slip rear end" in either case (2WD or 4WD). Especially useful for 2WD.

As others stated, 4WD will cost more, ride a bit rougher, and get a little worse gas mileage. But 4WD has saved us fm needing a tow truck a few times, and allowed us to help others. We have grades, dirt, gravel in addition to paving on our property, also go camping in boonies (off pavement) so we need/use the 4WD.

But it's ultimately your choice.

Old 12-19-2003, 12:53 PM
sinjin
Posting Guru
XCUR&F350,

I'm curious about your off-pavement camping. Where do you go and what could you recommend?

Old 12-21-2003, 10:40 PM
XCUR&F350
Trailering
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
re. Sinjin camping question

Sinjin:

We like the Anza Borrego area, Truckhaven BLM, also Superstition Mountain area. We usually tow a Jeep TJ or CJ5 and have a Bigfoot 9.5 slide in camper for the F-350.

Desert USA website has some good descriptions of the SOCAL deserts. Season is Sept thru May otherwise too hot...

DRG

Quick Reply: Is 4x4 worth having in SoCal?