Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Hard to Start

Old 10-18-2004, 01:40 PM
david1darlene
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hard to Start

At times the engine is hard to start and I hear a relay clicking under the dash on the right side of the steering coloum. If you keep cranking it will finaily start. When the relay stops clicking the engine starts.
I have changed the Glow Plug Relay,and it does seem to be working. The CPS appears to be working as the tack reads above 100 RPM, I have not noticed any smoke after it starts.
I have looked at other post and I belive the problem is with the relay clicking but I don't know what it is.

Old 10-18-2004, 01:43 PM
94.5turbodiesel
Mountain Pass
What year of truck and how many miles? Could be time for glow plugs and fresh batteries. Good luck.

Old 10-19-2004, 09:35 AM
david1darlene
New User
Hard to Start

Originally Posted by david1darlene
At times the engine is hard to start and I hear a relay clicking under the dash on the right side of the steering coloum. If you keep cranking it will finaily start. When the relay stops clicking the engine starts.
I have changed the Glow Plug Relay,and it does seem to be working. The CPS appears to be working as the tack reads above 100 RPM, I have not noticed any smoke after it starts.
I have looked at other post and I belive the problem is with the relay clicking but I don't know what it is.
It is a 2001, F350, 72000 miles,with real good batteries (so far). I do belive the glow plugs are good because it starts good sometimes no matter what the temperature is.

Old 10-19-2004, 10:51 AM
bodabdan
Fleet Mechanic
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Some of the PSD's have trouble with the fuel heater shorting out in the fuel filter housing. I don't know if that applies to your year model or not. You would not be the first one to suffer from this. I will try to do a search and see if I can direct you to some more info on this.

Old 10-19-2004, 05:01 PM
drillerdan
Junior User

I have had the same problem for over a year. If I turn the ignition off and on again it usually works fine. It's got to be something with the ignition I think. Let me know what you find.

Old 10-19-2004, 05:17 PM
bodabdan
Fleet Mechanic
I just realized that the search function is temporarily disabled due to maintenance. It should be back up soon. All the administrators are probably drinking beer and throwing darts but when the beer runs out they should have it going

Old 10-28-2004, 07:47 AM
david1darlene
New User
I found the problem, it was a loose wire to a relay block under the dash on the right side of the steering column holding three relays. This is the same area that the clicking was coming from. I'm not sure what it is called because the only thing that I can find in the books is I/P relay block, it maybe the fuel pump relay. You have to take the dash apart to get to it. So far it it starting real good.
Thanks for all the help.

Old 10-28-2004, 05:06 PM
bodabdan
Fleet Mechanic
Good job. This is just a guess but could I/P possibly mean instrument panel? Glad to hear it's working.

Search this Thread