1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

91 Ranger Tranny Troubles

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2004, 12:25 PM
biggieou
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 91 Ranger Tranny Troubles

Hey guys, I'm having some trouble w/my auto tranny in my 91 Ranger. Its a SuperCab w/3.0 approximately 156,000 miles and the tranny was rebuilt at like 125,000. Now while I still love my Ranger you have to baby it alot while driving. The power just doesnt seem to be there. But that I can overlook as I just need it to get me through college. But my major concern started last spring when I was headed home from college. I was going down a hilly road at about 55mph in overdrive and I could see(in the mirrors) tranny fluid blowing out the back of my truck. So I pulled over and checked and it was pouring out. I was in the middle of nowhere w/no phone reception so I put some tranny fluid in and kept going till I got to gas station. I put more fluid in and drove home down the interstate and it didnt blow any fluid. When I got home, the transmission was full of fluid from me adding. We dropped the pan and put in a new filter and fluid. I was told by a knowledgeable person that by having it in overdrive going down the hills under a load that I wasnt getting backpressure to cool of the tranny, thus the fluid blowing out the breather and not the seal. I drove it all summer with no problems. Then last week, I was coming back from my girlfriends house down a hilly road and it started blowing out again. I was in overdrive but not under load, so I pulled over and put some fluid in and drove it the rest of the ride home in drive and there was no more fluid blowing out. I checked everything once I got back, fluid levels were a little low w/no leaking. Then I went home this past weekend, when I got off of the interstate and got on a secondary road, I could see it blowing out fluid again. I drove the rest of the way home(I was close) and parked it for the night. Checked it the next morning and there was no fluid at all in it.
So my question is what do you all think could be causing this?? At first we thought it was maybe overheating, and thus were going to install a trans cooler, but it seemed odd it would only do it in overdrive and not drive. My dad and I now think it maybe the torque converter, because it is leaking up near the seal, but it only leaks in overdrive on a secondary road, usually after a long trip on the highway.

Old 10-18-2004, 05:59 PM
biggieou
Elder User
TTT Please help guys!!!!!!!

Old 10-18-2004, 06:47 PM
Help I M Stuck
Posting Guru
sounds similiar to what my truck was doing. I replaced the front pump seal and it still did it..then i pulled it back out and replaced the front pump seal again and put a new torque convertor in..no more problems.

Old 10-18-2004, 06:57 PM
biggieou
Elder User
Hmmmm maybe its the torque converter then? The only reason we didnt know is because nobody I've talked to has ever had a torque converter go out. Anyone else have suggestions?

Old 10-19-2004, 05:57 AM
3Lstroker
Junior User
No good suggestions from me. Never heard of one actually "blowing" fluid out like that, just leaking. If you might be interested, I have the a4ld I pulled out of my truck when I put in the t5 sitting under the shelf in my garage. Only 13k miles with a shift kit in the valve body.

Old 10-19-2004, 06:14 AM
biggieou
Elder User
Is that what is in my truck and if so how much would you want for it? Email me and let me know. Thanks

Old 10-19-2004, 04:56 PM
ol yeller
Elder User
hey

not sure if the modulator valve is on the 92 but they will lose their orings and blow out. that'll go thru your vaccuum system and out the exhaust. rear seal might be going out.

Old 10-19-2004, 05:17 PM
kotzy
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The roller clutch in the torque converter stator may be bad. Did you say you don't have
power? If you mean it lacks on the take off there is no doubt the roller clutch is bad,
since the converter stator actually causes an additional reduction for take off. A bad
converter will cause transmission overheating.

Old 10-19-2004, 08:06 PM
biggieou
Elder User
Yea it just seems really doggy starting off. I dont think its the seal, because then I would think that it would be leaking and dripping fluid all the time. Kotzy I think you might be on to something, because its apparently overheating and blowing the fluid out the vent. How much are torque converters for these trucks?

Old 10-19-2004, 08:13 PM
kotzy
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Someone else has to answer that, I haven't bought a converter in two years.

Old 10-19-2004, 09:44 PM
biggieou
Elder User
Ok, I was looking on the internet and I saw them ranging from $120-600 LOL