General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Hey Mil1on and other Canadians

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2004, 08:14 AM
slowsix
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Mil1on and other Canadians

This past weekend the professional indoor lacrosse Heritage Cup was played in Denver. My son played on the USA jr. indoor team. The Canadian Pro and jr. team beat the US both times. So much for the sports update.

What I wanted to commend the Canadians on was the outstanding goodwill they demonstrated. My son sat at the Canadian professional player’s table for a lunch the league set up. He spoke with the Canadian players and they were very open and friendly towards him. This was actually the highlight of the weekend for him and he had a great time. As is usual for LAX, he marveled at how LAX players are friends before the game, play hard and really dish out punishment to each other during the game and then are friends after the game. Since he was part of the evening he was able to see all of this first hand and behind the scenes. Many times during the year the LAX players will sign autographs until the last fan has left. This includes the marquee names in the sport (unknown as they are).

If all sporting events were this kid positive I would be willing to support more professional athletes.

A big thank you and congratulations to the Canadian National Team.

Old 10-18-2004, 09:53 AM
Mil1ion
New User
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
We have so many teams that conduct themselves in this fashion it makes me proud to be a Canadian.Most on the Junior level.

It is not un-common for the members of these teams to seen dressed in suits as well.

Canada has always been known for its people being polite....so thank you.

Old 10-18-2004, 10:32 AM
Waxy
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A good reflection on Canadians for sure, but even more so on lacrosse players in general. The game is rough, so I think these guys kind of get a bad rep for no reason.

I played a lot of lacrosse in my day, even played with a couple of guys that are now playing in the NLL, and I can vouch for 95% of the guys being truly great people. The lacrosse community is pretty small, so like you said, the guys all know each other. In a lot of cases they play on several different teams and their teammate for one season might be their opponent the next.

The biggest thing IMHO, is they do it for the love of the game, no big egos and no demands, they love the game and the fans. There's no money in lacrosse, and not much glamour. I think it's a big reason why the game has really caught on at the pro level the last couple of years. With no NHL this year, the NLL should post some stellar attendance numbers and maybe pick up some more TV coverage. I hope so, it would be great for the sport.

Anyhoo, thanks for the post, it's always nice to see the good acknowledged rather than the bad.

Waxy

PS - Congrats to our Canadian teams!