1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What to do next with my 7.3

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2013, 05:34 PM
smm0402
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What to do next with my 7.3

im trying to decided what to put on my truck next i have an 02 7.3. im looking at putting a better trans cooler on or an edge programmer and monitor. I tow 3000 to12000lbs on a regular basis. Which is making me lean toward the cooler but I am in Texas so im not going up and down hills. But the programmer would be nice to see the trans temp and egt.
Which one would be a better use of my money?

thanks

Old 05-16-2013, 07:04 PM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
That one is easy. Upgrade the cooler. The 6.0 trans cooler is very effective.
Here is a write up for that modification.
https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&p...MGM2YzhiYTliZQ

If that link doesn't work, then go to this website and scroll down to the link for 6.0 transmission cooler.
https://sites.google.com/site/woodnt...ification-page

When it comes time to modify the PCM calibrations....I think the PHP chip is a nice choice. My stock-ish trucks seem to run really well with PHP tunes. Much better than the Bully Dog or Banks products that I have tried.

Old 05-16-2013, 08:16 PM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Not only is PHP a nice choice, EDGE is a bad choice. Edge is an off the shelf type tuner, with one size fits all tunes. Have you ever worn a one size fits all suit? Sure it will get you through your brother in-laws wedding, but you're going to be uncomfortable the whole time.

I recommend ANY tuner brand that is custom. Some people prefer one over the other, but any of them are better than an off the shelf tuner such as Banks, Bully Dog, or Edge.

Check out PHP, Gearhead, and DP-Tuner.

Old 05-16-2013, 10:11 PM
smm0402
New User
thanks for the advice im going to install a 6.0 cooler over the edge. what are yalls recommendations on gauges or with a 4in pipe and a 6.0 cooler are they worth getting. and i do have a super-chip 1700 it came with the truck when i bought it it only has 2 settings a standard and a off-road. the off road says you cant tow over 4000lbs. thats why i was looking at the edge for the quick changes.

thanks

Old 05-16-2013, 10:34 PM
papadelogan
Snowboard season cometh..

You should probably come over to the 7.3 PSD sub-forum on this site. TONS of useful info gleaned from TONS on HANDS-ON wrenching by many, many good people.

Old 05-17-2013, 10:04 AM
Kdr358
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Towing, a quality Valve Body is a must such as a BTS or a John Wood.

Old 05-17-2013, 10:23 AM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by Kdr358
Towing, a quality Valve Body is a must such as a BTS or a John Wood.
Or you can roll your own and save a bit of bux.

Pop

Old 05-17-2013, 10:24 AM
Patton531
Freshman User
Originally Posted by smm0402
im trying to decided what to put on my truck next i have an 02 7.3. im looking at putting a better trans cooler on or an edge programmer and monitor. I tow 3000 to12000lbs on a regular basis. Which is making me lean toward the cooler but I am in Texas so im not going up and down hills. But the programmer would be nice to see the trans temp and egt.
Which one would be a better use of my money?

thanks
I have a 2002 F250 w/a 7.3 Powerstroke, too. I got the Edge first and LOVE it. When towing, it's great to monitor the EGTs. (I don't think my Edge monitors Trans Temp.)

Trans cooler came second, but I really don't think I needed it. I suppose it doesn't hurt to have it, though. I bought it because of an incident I experienced while towing our 12,000 lbs camper thru the mountains of Tenn.

When pulling uphill, I put the automatic trans in 2nd gear. I was stuck behind a moron who was going very slowly. Although I never let RPMs get above 2500, the temp guage on the trans started rising. It got as high as the yellow area, so I pulled off the road to let the trans cool.

After starting off again and keeping the trans in 2nd gear, it happened again - trans temp guage went into yellow area. So I pulled off the road. Let things cool. Started out, again. When temps started to rise a third time, I shifted from "2" to "D", and what happened next surprised me - I watched the trans temp drop like a rock.

I have a theory that the trans cooler that comes standard with the 2002 F250 DOES NOT cut ON unless the transmission is in "D". I really wish someone could confirm my theory...

Old 05-17-2013, 10:47 AM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

Originally Posted by smm0402
thanks for the advice im going to install a 6.0 cooler over the edge. what are yalls recommendations on gauges or with a 4in pipe and a 6.0 cooler are they worth getting. and i do have a super-chip 1700 it came with the truck when i bought it it only has 2 settings a standard and a off-road. the off road says you cant tow over 4000lbs. thats why i was looking at the edge for the quick changes.

thanks
If I was starting all over again with a clean slate....
I would get an EGT and Engine coolant temp gauge. I prefer the ISSPRO EV2 models because they are very accurate, look like the factory gauges and illuminate very well at night. I also like them because they are very easy to read. For a third and possibly final gauge, I would look at the Aeroforce Interceptor gauge with the fuel pressure sensor and 5 volt reference signal accessories.

With this arrangement, you would have just about everything you could need. The EGT and Engine coolant will be stand alone gauges which are useful when towing heavy. The Aeroforce gauge can be set to show fuel pressure and trans temp and you would be golden. Then if you need to see other PIDs, run codes or perform some diagnostics the Aeroforce can do that as well.

Here is a link that shows how the Aeroforce Gauge works.

Another interesting option is the DP Infinity. It's a modified DashDaq that has custom tuning and skins. I don't now a lot about it's features but there is a bunch of info at this link. Browse around and see what you think.

INFINITY-DX Touch Screen 7.3L NOW AVAILABLE (Price includes 8g SD card and 1 VIN License with purchase) - Featured Products

Old 05-17-2013, 10:54 AM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

Originally Posted by Patton531
I have a 2002 F250 w/a 7.3 Powerstroke, too. I got the Edge first and LOVE it. When towing, it's great to monitor the EGTs. (I don't think my Edge monitors Trans Temp.)

Trans cooler came second, but I really don't think I needed it. I suppose it doesn't hurt to have it, though. I bought it because of an incident I experienced while towing our 12,000 lbs camper thru the mountains of Tenn.

When pulling uphill, I put the automatic trans in 2nd gear. I was stuck behind a moron who was going very slowly. Although I never let RPMs get above 2500, the temp guage on the trans started rising. It got as high as the yellow area, so I pulled off the road to let the trans cool.

After starting off again and keeping the trans in 2nd gear, it happened again - trans temp guage went into yellow area. So I pulled off the road. Let things cool. Started out, again. When temps started to rise a third time, I shifted from "2" to "D", and what happened next surprised me - I watched the trans temp drop like a rock.

I have a theory that the trans cooler that comes standard with the 2002 F250 DOES NOT cut ON unless the transmission is in "D". I really wish someone could confirm my theory...
What type of supplemental transmission cooler did you get?

Standard function has the fluid circulating through the cooler(s) at all times. If flow is restricted for some reason then the bypass valve may activate. If that happens, then the fluid is sent right back to the pan instead of passing through the coolers. Your theory about the cooler cutting ON when in D is not correct.

My suggestion is that you check the rate of fluid flow through the coolers. You should see at LEAST 1 full qt in 15 seconds.....minimum flow rate.

Old 05-17-2013, 11:06 AM
Patton531
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Shake-N-Bake
What type of supplemental transmission cooler did you get?

Standard function has the fluid circulating through the cooler(s) at all times. If flow is restricted for some reason then the bypass valve may activate. If that happens, then the fluid is sent right back to the pan instead of passing through the coolers. Your theory about the cooler cutting ON when in D is not correct.

My suggestion is that you check the rate of fluid flow through the coolers. You should see at LEAST 1 full qt in 15 seconds.....minimum flow rate.
A mechanic friend told me that my 2002 F250 has a trans cooler that cuts on only when needed. He said I would know when it cuts on 'cause I'd hear it.

My theory is this - the trans cooler that came factory installed can cut on only providing I have the trans in D. In other words, if I have it in 2, it won't (or can't) cut on, even if the trans starts to get hot.

When I was pulling my camper up the mountains of TN and the trans got hot, I never heard the cooler kick on. Once I switched back to D, the cooler kicked on as I recall. I could be mistaken - it's been quite a few years.

Immediately after that TN trip, I brought the truck to my favorite mechanic's shop. He tested flow, etc (he did what you suggested!) and said all was fine. But, I had him install an additional cooler. What kind is it? I don't know. It's a new radiator looking thing (maybe 8 - 12" wide) installed in front of the engine's radiator.

Old 05-17-2013, 11:20 AM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

A mechanic friend told me that my 2002 F250 has a trans cooler that cuts on only when needed. He said I would know when it cuts on 'cause I'd hear it.

My theory is this - the trans cooler that came factory installed can cut on only providing I have the trans in D. In other words, if I have it in 2, it won't (or can't) cut on, even if the trans starts to get hot.

When I was pulling my camper up the mountains of TN and the trans got hot, I never heard the cooler kick on. Once I switched back to D, the cooler kicked on as I recall. I could be mistaken - it's been quite a few years.

Immediately after that TN trip, I brought the truck to my favorite mechanic's shop. He tested flow, etc (he did what you suggested!) and said all was fine. But, I had him install an additional cooler. What kind is it? I don't know. It's a new radiator looking thing (maybe 8 - 12" wide) installed in front of the engine's radiator.
I think you may have mis-understood your mechanic friend. You can not hear a cooler working....or at least you aren't suppose to. The mechanic may have been trying to explain the operation of the fan clutch which is something that you will hear when the engine coolant temps reaches about 215 degrees or so. If you are in a lower gear (such as 2nd) when that thing engages then it will make a very noticeable roar sound....almost like a jet engine. It's less noticeable when in a higher gear but still observable.

There are different types of coolers on the market. I prefer the stacked plate over the tube and fin style since they transfer heat more effectively and generally have less restriction.

Old 05-17-2013, 11:33 AM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
Patton:

Take Greg's advice above. He KNOWS these rigs! He owns and maintains three of them.

Your mechanic friend obviously lacks in some area when it comes to THESE trucks if he told you that. Of course, you may have mis-understood.

Stick around here and learn. Someday you will be SURE about these things.

A more-likely reason your trans temps dropped in Drive is the torque converter locked up, reducing the heat generated, whereas in 2nd, it wasn't locked, and generated a LOT of heat.

Unless you specifically added one (pretty-unlikely), there is NO thermostatically-controlled cooling for your trans. It's full-time.

Your additional cooling can't hurt!

Pop

Old 05-17-2013, 11:57 AM
Brother Les
Cargo Master
Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

You have a very nice rig there and unless you want to be putting a 3-5Gs in a new/rebuilt tranny you need to talk to people here to get you in the right frame of mind. Shake-N-Bake are letting you know about
you will hear when the engine coolant temps reaches about 215 degrees or so.
We need to look at what is up with you tranny temps. The original 7.3 is a small air cooled cooler tucked under the front of the truck. Speed is what is forcing air through it to cool the fluid. Did you say what kind of trans cooler you add? The 6.0 (next generation of engine after the 7.3) cooler is mounted in line with the fan and great volumes of air is pulled through it and cools when the truck is not even moving. A big no..no... is to mount an added cooler inline with the remaining (small) 7.3 cooler. the 7.3 cooler could restrict greatly the amount of fluid flow through the cooler. You really should not have to 'down shift' or even take your truck out of Over Drive. If your temps are/were climbing, it may have been the way you were driving. Keep your OD on and leave it in Drive.

Come over to the '99-2003' 7.3 thread and all to the Brotherhood will share their thoughts and suggests.

Old 05-17-2013, 03:13 PM
SuperDutyScaler
Lead Driver
Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
most problems with the 99-03 7.3 diesel AND the 99-04 4R100 transmissions is the cooler starts to get clogged and it cant keep the fluid cool so the bypass on the inlet and outlet opens and pushes hot fluid right back into the transmission. When i talked to Brian from BTS he said ONCE a year you should unscrew both the feed and return lines from the side of the transmission and flush it with either brake cleaner or transmission flush fluid. Let it sit and blow it out with an air compresser and watch all the brown/black nastyness come flying out. When i installed my TransGo HD shift kit i cleaned the lines/cooler and even though i flush my trans ever 30k or so i still had nasty gunk come out of my lines and cooler. Im planing on installing a good spin on tranmission fliter into the cooler lines this summer to stop the clogging

Quick Reply: What to do next with my 7.3