1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

2005 SuperCab air not venting properly

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 06:53 PM
Ag2K5Ranger
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 SuperCab air not venting properly

I have a 2005 4x4 SuperCab, 2 dr, 4.0, 5spd. 9700 miles over three years. The vehicle just aged out of its warranty.
The cabin pressurizes pretty severely with the windows up and the blower on anything but the lowest setting. Pops my ears, it's so bad. The whistling noise from air trying to escape through the weatherstripping on the doors and the sliding rear window is driving me crazy. The pressurization is so strong I can feel air coming out the lock cylinder on the outside of the driver's door.
Dealer, of course, says all Rangers do that. My 99 never did.
Can anyone tell me how the cabin air flows through? I had assumed it flows through the small grille in the bottom of each door panel, then out the vents at the bottom of the door, below the latch mechanism. The dealer took the driver's door apart and says that vent is not blocked. Is there another path for flow-through ventilation on the Ranger?

Thanks for the replies!

Last edited by Ag2K5Ranger; 08-14-2008 at 06:55 PM. Reason: additional info
Old 08-15-2008, 05:57 PM
Rangerman Stan
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I believe you're correct about the air flow path through the door. I know some of the full size trucks have a vent at the back of the cab on each side close to the floor line but I don't think they ever did that for the Rangers. Even if the dealership said there is no restriction at the vent, there shouldn't be as much pressure as what you're describing. If you can take off or at least open up the door panel to see if the plastic water barrier is partly blocking the vent area of that panel on each door that would let you know what is going on in there. If the water barrier is sealed up against the metal structure of the door and is not cut like a flap that could move just around the vent, then it could help hold in the air and not let it flow out easily like it should. The metal part of the door should have some openings in it for air flow as well right in the area of the panel vent. Also you should be able to see into the door through the vents in the back edge of the door under the latch if you use a flash light. Check them for restrictions or blockage. If you have had undercoating done, some vents may be a bit restricted. Check out these places and let us know what you find.