1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

Vaccum diagram for 2.9

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2003, 11:11 PM
alamantrick
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vaccum diagram for 2.9

Does anyone know where I might be able to find a vacuum hose routing diagram for a 2.9? Iw ould really appreciate it. I have searched high and low but with no luck. Thank you in advance

Old 01-05-2003, 11:34 AM
ranger pat
Cargo Master
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Vaccum diagram for 2.9

What year? From memory, The largest hose from the engine goes to the brake booster. Then another hose to the automatic transmission, one to the speed control, one to the climate control reservoir located above the a/c case, another to the air cleaner to open and close the heat stove between the exhaust manifold and the air cleaner box. One to the EGR valve if you have one, I don't remember 2.9L having EGR. There might be one going to the MAP sensor located. Best bet it to find another local Ranger like yours and take couple pictures or sketch a basic schematic of where the hoses are routed.

Old 01-05-2003, 11:39 AM
alamantrick
New User
Vaccum diagram for 2.9

Thanks for the info and replying. It's a 1989.

Old 01-07-2003, 09:11 AM
Ken00
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Vaccum diagram for 2.9

The fitting on the passengers side has the hose to the airbox and the MAP, the drivers side has the auto tranny, brake booster, fuel pressure regulator and another one I can't think of. If you still have problems let me know and I will dig out the pics of my 1989 2.9L Rangers engine.

Old 01-07-2003, 04:27 PM
alamantrick
New User
Vaccum diagram for 2.9

Thank you. Your information was very helpful. There are two vacuum stems on the air cleaner, if you happen to know where the second one goes I would appreciate it. I still haven't been able to find a vacuum diagram. Thanks again

Old 01-07-2003, 04:53 PM
Torque1st
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Vaccum diagram for 2.9

Click on the picture under my name and follow the link to AutoZone's repair information. They have many vacuum diagrams there.

Thanks for using FTE!

[link:www.ford-trucks.com/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboard.cgi?az=list&forum=DCForumID75&conf=genconf |Garage and Shop] Forum
[link:www.ford-trucks.com/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboard.cgi?az=list&forum=DCForumID116&conf=DCConf ID9|Ranger] Forum
[link:www.ford-trucks.com/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboard.cgi?az=list&forum=DCForumID91&conf=DCConfI D12|1973-1979 Ford trucks] Forum
[link:www.ford-trucks.com/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboard.cgi?az=list&forum=DCForumID93&conf=DCConfI D8|1997-2003 F150 and E150 Forum]
[font color=red]As a Moderator I do not "Subscribe" to most topics,
please send email/pm if you need a reply -Thanks![/font]

-

Old 01-07-2003, 08:30 PM
alamantrick
New User
Vaccum diagram for 2.9

THANK YOU SO MUCH! YOU WERE A GREAT HELP!
Just a few more bugs to work out and I think i've got it. I hope.

Old 01-08-2003, 05:50 AM
ranger pat
Cargo Master
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Vaccum diagram for 2.9

About the air cleaner vacuum fittings. One line from the engine goes to either vacuum nipple on the air cleaner. The other vacuum nipple has a hose that goes to a vacuum acuatator on the zip tube. The zip tube is what connects the fresh air intake to the air cleaner box. The zip tube has a flex hose that connects to the passenger side exhaust manifold. Inside the air box is a temp sensitive bimetal that contracts or expands to open or close the vacuum nipples. When it is cold, the connection allows engine vacuum to route to the flex hose and open a passage allowing warm air from the exhaust manifold into the bottom of the air cleaner to aid in cold startup and driveability. Once the air gets warm, the bimetal closes and you get only fresh outside air into the air cleaner. Newer Rangers do not have this heat stove feature. Probably 94 was the last year for the air cleaner with vacuum fittings.

Old 01-08-2003, 08:52 PM
alamantrick
New User
Vaccum diagram for 2.9

Thank you. I have routed everything the way it should be but when I start the truck it runs for about 5 seconds then dies. It's misses during that time and I have no vacuum leaks. I replaced the map sensor, tried unhooking the O2 sensor to see if there was a change, I have good spark. I am lost. Can't figure out what else it could be. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again for all the help.

Old 01-09-2003, 08:42 AM
Ken00
Post Fiend
Vaccum diagram for 2.9

Have you checked for any codes? How is the fuel pressure?

Old 01-09-2003, 05:53 PM
alamantrick
New User
Vaccum diagram for 2.9

The codes haven't narrowed anything down. The fuel pressure seems fine.

Old 01-09-2003, 06:34 PM
Ken00
Post Fiend
Vaccum diagram for 2.9

Do you get any smoke? Is it timed correctly? Do you have any more background on the engine, what happened when this problem started?

Old 01-11-2003, 12:28 PM
alamantrick
New User
Vaccum diagram for 2.9

there's no smoke. Unfortunately I don't have any background on the engine. I bought the truck not running. I replaced the motor and it still won't run.

Old 01-12-2003, 07:11 AM
mathelm
Senior User
Vaccum diagram for 2.9

Could it be a bad fuel pressure regulator? That also has a vacuum line attached to it. What year is the motor? This is important because for instance, my truck is an 87 and the 2.9 in it is from an 89 B II. An 87 had an EGR valve where as an 89 dose not. My computer keeps looking for the EGR thats not there.
You need to take the time to go into as much detail as possible here. Things you've tried, things you've thing are strange etc. There are a lot of good mechanics here who can and will help you out if they can. Don't worry about sounding ignorant, I do all the time.

Good Luck.

Old 01-12-2003, 12:44 PM
alamantrick
New User
Vaccum diagram for 2.9

Thanks I appreciate the help and direction. I think I have pretty much got it. It s idling pretty smooth now. Just a slight miss. The only thing that has me stumped is that it will idle fine until I hit the brake then it revs up about 500 rpm. I don't get this one. If you have any ideas I would appreciate it. I have checked and rechecked and the vacuum is fine. (as far as I can tell anyways.) Thanks again

Quick Reply: Vaccum diagram for 2.9