Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

My theory about Hummers

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2004, 05:11 AM
Dana Jensen
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My theory about Hummers

I think they wouldn't sell as many Hummers if the base price was $18,000.

Old 10-04-2004, 06:14 AM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Dana Jensen
How does that compare to the Ford prices, and what truck would compare.

Old 10-04-2004, 07:52 AM
jeb
Elder User
I bet you're wrong. That's just the kind of truck that would appeal to younger males, IMO, that can't afford the $50k+ for one. At $18K, they'd sell 'em like hot cakes, IMO.

Old 10-04-2004, 07:01 PM
FordLariat
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Based on what? Their only selling point is that they are expensive, they're really kind of good for nothing other than status symbols (for who, I don't know).

Old 10-04-2004, 08:03 PM
Dan7378
Junior User
Talking

I wouldn't own a hummer not even if someone gave it to me for free.I'd take it out and trash it,stick with my old fords.

Dan

Old 10-04-2004, 08:52 PM
plasticboob
Junior User
Exclamation

I personally don't think there's anything wrong with Hummers. I feel the H2 is a good general purpose 4x4, and please spare me your immature "yeah until the crappy GM engine / weak tie rod falls apart" bit. And yes, the price is too high. Now, as for most of the people who BUY them, that's a different story. I think GM did a good job keeping the name off-roadable, even though they know that very few owners will take them off-road. Look at what DC is doing to Jeep (excluding their great work on the Rubicon and Wrangler Unlimited) - all IFS up front, a Hemi engine which makes it's great power WAY up high, street tires, etc. etc. And look what is going on over at poor Land Rover now that Ford has the reigns. I think the big three need to keep their respective off-road nameplates at the top of their game, and I think Hummer has the lead right now (except for the sky-high price, of course) because of Bob Lutz. I think when he was working for Chrysler, HE was the man who went on a camping trip with some Wranglers and decided that ALL Jeeps need to be capable of doing the Rubicon, without constant rock-stacking. Just my 4 cents.

Old 10-05-2004, 12:49 AM
FordLariat
Posting Guru
I think it's too big for general purposes, and I think it's underpowered for it's size, and I think it has weak front and rear ends, and I think it's too topheavy without being lifted, and I think the IFS limits how much you can lift it and still keep it durable (not breaking cv joints or greasing them every week, let alone afford it), and the low range lacks a lot to be desired.

Old 10-05-2004, 06:27 AM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
I agree FordLariat, the maintenance schedule is way to much to handle for the public and that will always be the problem of this truck. That and MPG, and being ugly, and ....

Old 10-05-2004, 06:36 AM
razell
Junior User
i would love to take a hummer to rocktoberfest just once. i've never driven one but i'd like to find out for myself what they're made of.

Old 10-05-2004, 06:46 AM
jeb
Elder User
Originally Posted by FordLariat
Based on what? Their only selling point is that they are expensive, they're really kind of good for nothing other than status symbols (for who, I don't know).
You can't see the appeal this vehicle would have to young males at $18k a pop? That's less than a Taurus these days, I believe. Which do you think you'd choose at 20 years old at the same price? I know I'd take the Hummer!

I test drove an H2. Nice truck to drive but not very practical, especially with that huge spare tire taking up most of the room behind the 2nd row seats.

Old 10-05-2004, 07:37 AM
78Explorer
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Dana Jensen
I see where you're going with that (uppity buyers would stay away if it were bargain priced...right?).

However, I think it'd find a new audience - all those who wish they could buy it for the status...but now it's affordable at $18k.

I haven't driven one...nor do I intend to, so I'll reserve judgment on its quality control issues - I DID see the video that someone posted the URL to, in which the H2 popped a tie-rod end (or something) that left the two front tires flailing about in opposite directions! I laughed until I cried...that was FUNNY and not likely to make its way into any Hummer commercials anytime soon!

Old 10-05-2004, 09:14 AM
FORD352V8
Elder User
I personally think there kinda ugly, way too large for extreme offroading, not nearly as capable as you would think. Of course there overpriced, people that do real off roading dont buy a freakin hummer, an old WW2 jeep would easily out do that h2, I would personally rather take an old bronco and mod it to the extreme that would be more fun then a 50k suv that will be traded in 2 or 3 years. People that drive them are usually very rich, spoiled people that want it as a status symobol, and instead of buying a mercedes or a rollys royce they go with the fad of buying a huge expensive SUV. I have been off roading for years and havent seen any hummers on the trail. Gimme a break when you do extereme off roading things get a little bent most of the time and sometimes you may swipe a bush and scratch up your paint or maybe slide into a tree. That thing would be so unbleivably expensive to repair if you got it damaged, but with with an old bronco it wouldnt be such a big deal.

Old 10-05-2004, 10:39 AM
MEPR
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
the HUMMVW was designed to carry heavy loads at high speeds over rough terain. They arent meant for trails realy. As far as off road goes, thay are capable rigs (even the h2) thier one down side is that are just too big and heavy. And yes the h2 realy is just a status symbol and not much else.

Old 10-05-2004, 10:59 AM
RealMenPowerstroke!
Senior User
Originally Posted by MEPR
the HUMMVW was designed to carry heavy loads at high speeds over rough terain. They arent meant for trails realy. As far as off road goes, thay are capable rigs (even the h2) thier one down side is that are just too big and heavy. And yes the h2 realy is just a status symbol and not much else.
I completely agree about the status symbol. As a hobby I run a custom fabrication, fiberglass, and custom paint shop. Because of the nature of this business, we see LOTS!!!! of H2's. I am speaking from what they actually are, not just opinion. I've taken at least 100 apart in one form or another. The first thing is that EVERYTHING in the console INCLUDING the shift itself, is a plastic stick, with a plastic pressure cable. They are the heaviest piece of junk I've ever worked on. Between bad factory installs of dashes and shifters where just from the factory the plastic screw holes are STRIPPED and the fact just take off the enormous hunk of super super thin plastic console trim ring, you have take out the center console. By the way, the ONLY thing that holds that entire trim ring on, is the two enormous hex screws at top. The only thing that keeps it from sliding sideways is all the other plastic parts smushed together. It disturbs me that the would make something with name of a HUMMER but make it out of plastic. Not to mention they average 8mpg. And are one of the slowest things I've ever seen. So in conclusion yes they pretty much are just a status symbol. They can't really do anything, I've seen lots of them taken off -road and seen the tie's snap even with a facotry stance.

Best of Luck,
Corey

P.S. Just my experience with the 100 or so I've customized...

Old 10-05-2004, 12:49 PM
Lectrocuted
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Love em or hate em, they made lots and lots of money for AM General.

Quick Reply: My theory about Hummers