Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

seems Dodge has vibration probs too....

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2004, 09:08 PM
fanfare
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
seems Dodge has vibration probs too....

After reading all the posts about the F150 vibration issue ... I kind of got curious to see if other owners of other brands were having any problems with their trucks. Found this post on a Dodge site. Seems like a widespread problem since Dodge is aware of it .... and is working on a fix. I didn't check Chevy .. but I'll bet they have their share of problems also. I guess my point is ... I doubt any vehicle is perfect. I know for $30k ... they darn well should be ... but ... well, thats life. I was extrememly happy with my Ford ... until I started reading about this vibration problem. I have the "nibble" at 50 mph and up. I probably would not have noticed .. since this is my first "brand new" truck. Anyway, I will probably mention the vibration to the dealership. I hope it doesn't get any worse as time goes on. Here is the post from the Dodge site:

"I have a 2004.5 2500 Dodge Ram CTD 4x4 QC SB Laramie with the 48re trans. After my first highway trip I noticed the vibration, it starts at 65 and goes until about 82 mph. I also have a Drone sound that I get at the same speeds. I have had the truck less than a month, and it has about 2500 miles on it. I have it in the dealer 3 separate times for this problem. Here is a quick summation of those trips to the dealer.

Trip 1: Took it in with 800 miles on it. Dealer looked at it, and said yea, there is a problem, that Dodge is aware of it and working on a fix and for me to bring it back after 2000 miles. They did not attempt to repair anything."

Old 10-04-2004, 09:54 PM
150ford
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
During Chevies new generation trucks 99 and up they had vibrations and host of other problems plague there first year. Got this from GM lemon.com. Go over to the Dodge site and those guys are really braggarts. They had a forum on Dodge vs Ford and I mentioned how Fords are really good trucks. They said nothing would measure up to there Dodges. Oh well its a Dodge forum.. I guess Dodge isnt perfect. The first year of any model is going to have bugs. Just a nature of the beast.

Old 10-05-2004, 12:25 AM
FordLariat
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes, everyone will have issues from time to time, and the time most prone for these issues to arise is when manufacturers put out a brand new model to the masses and people start driving them, that's the REAL real-world tests.

Old 10-05-2004, 06:21 AM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
Unfortunately or fortunately, depending on your view…….like the Job 1 6.0 diesel.

Old 10-05-2004, 06:25 PM
FordLariat
Posting Guru
IMHO, it's unfortunate when any manufacturer makes major mistakes with new products, I don't want to see anyone pay what new trucks cost and have major problems, but like you said, it happens.

Old 10-06-2004, 06:37 AM
WXboy
Cargo Master
Received 341 Likes on 207 Posts
Last week I kept both for a day and tried to decide between the two. I ended up buying the Dodge because it's a nicer truck. I DID notice vibration issues with BOTH trucks during my personal "testing" with them. But the F-150 vibration was much worse, and seems to be more common. The vibration on my new Dodge has since gone away so apparently it was related to the AT tires and the truck sitting parked on the lot for a while. I don't think Dodge has suspension issues like Ford does with the new "outbound shock mounts" and all that fancy stuff they are trying now. That's just my personal experience after looking at the two closely last week.

Old 10-08-2004, 11:07 AM
Beast12
Post Fiend
You ended up buying the Dodge? I'm sad......

At least you still have your Ranger........

-Matt

Old 10-08-2004, 03:43 PM
fanfare
New User
The only way I would have considered a Dodge is if I went with the diesel. For the power to size (gas mileage) ratio ... Ford killed the Dodge. I would have had to get at least a 5.7 to get the power/towing I have with the Ford. I have the 5.4 and this "Triton" engine rocks. I'm getting the better of two worlds .. cuz I get much better MPG on the highway (under 2000 rpm @ 70-75) than I could with a Dodge in similiar class ... but I can tow considerably large when I want to as well. As far as looks? Well, heh... I doubt I need to press that point. What could you possibly have meant when you said "Dodge was a better truck"? Where? I admit.... Chrys/Daim is making some good moves in some areas .... I'd probably buy a Ram over a Silverado.... but man ... the Ford won out on both by a landslide. The thing is .. I wasn't even considering a Ford. I Have a GM credit card (the old program) that gives me up to $3500 off ($500 a yr) new GM's... also, a friend of mine owns the Chevy dealership I buy from. After test driving a Silverado I wasn't that impressed... and had pretty much decided on a Dodge... cuz I didn't want a Ford (long story) ... then I drove into a Ford lot... drove a few ... and the rest is history. See, I've been buying Chevy for the last 20 yrs ... I'll still buy Chevy cars ... but when it comes to trucks? I'm a newly converted Ford man ...

I love this truck .... the more I drive it ... the more I love it. I can't believe how well it corners for such a tall truck!

I put a little scratch on the tailgate backing out of a parking space ... (I hit the end of a figerglass drop gate that I coudn't see and thought was up)... When I got out and saw the scratch on my nice new black paint ... I immediatly began to draw attention to myself because I couldn't stop swearing like an NFL coach after a bad call.
I may decide to wash it again today ... how many times can I wax it in one week?

Old 10-09-2004, 06:41 PM
biggieou
Elder User
It's nice to hear you didnt go to the darkside fanfare. Chebby's are one thing, Dodges are another. Glad to hear you like your new Ford. Take care of her, and I bet she'll take care of you.