How to properly color a Y-block?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 05:54 PM
scrape
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
aussie engine

hey guys, here goes another thread, i am restoring a aussie 56 f100, we used different colours to u guys, my lhd 56 bbw will get a repaint yellow, but with alloy covers/air cleaner, not sure on what colour the g/box should b though, but this rhd truck is a different story, i have many engines from trucks lying around and can only really identify what year truck there from by the engine number as all our cabs/frames/engines left the factory with the same prefix/number depending on year.
one old bloke who is restoring a f600 said he was painting his gm green as it was a very close match, as used in our 6/71 , 8/71 engines, but i beleive this to b the car colour as they used a metalic green in 55 or 56, one engine that is there has an off white valley cover, a blueish grey colour on the engine/bell houseing and a light terquoise on the air cleaner, all accc r black, this engine came from a 56 f600 parts truck, the alternator bracket and front engine bracket have a light terquoise colour under the blue/grey though, this would indicate that the blue has been painted later, the heads/tappet covers r bare steel so i looks as though an in chassis rebuild has happened at least once, but the blue engine is throwing me, i have 2 others the same colour, and have many original air cleaners from different years this terquoise colour.
while trying to find what colour it should b, i came across in the front of a factory master catalogue, colours for the 55 y block tappet covers which indicates to me all blocks must have been the one colour ( but i'm not 100% sure) it appears that a 55 f500 parts truck i have does have a black engine, any way, they show f100's as having black covers on the 239, argent on 500/600/700 size cab overs/buses, but black for all conventional type cabs, either with the 239 or the 256, then the 750/800/900 fitted with either a 279 or 317 as having argent covers
in the same book, it also lists- vermilion, chrome, golden tan, beige, yellow, black , argent, the old bloke restoring the f600 also mentioned that he and his brother/dad had these trucks new and remembers them having a gold colour on the covers in 56 and then again in 64 but this time with a black block( new truck again)
i've contacted ford australia because i know they have a historian so i'll c if they have the book i'm missing that should have the 56 colour, i know we're a long way away, but if u do a job u might aswell do it right
is sixoh still about?

Old 12-23-2008, 11:29 PM
dullchrome
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My 63 has a red block and red FORD stamped valve covers from the factory.

Old 05-01-2009, 12:10 AM
salf100
Tuned
Hope this helps.....I have a 64 F100 with 292. The engine is all original and here are the colors:

Block - Black
Valve covers - Light Blue
Air filter - Black
Intake man. - silver

I'll try to get you some pics later

Old 05-01-2009, 08:18 AM
Rusty_S
Lead Driver
Received 90 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by salf100
Hope this helps.....I have a 64 F100 with 292. The engine is all original and here are the colors:

Block - Black
Valve covers - Light Blue
Air filter - Black
Intake man. - silver

I'll try to get you some pics later

Nice to list that, will really help those around here that are keeping a record of what different engine and applications were painted what.

mine though is just a basic 292 with red block assembly black valve covers and argent silver oil bath filter.

~Update~

I was reading over the old pages and someone said to get old color brochures to see the color of the engine parts.

My question is how correct is that? I have one for 56 pass cars and it shows gold colored rear axle. I am wondering if that is correct or not.

I am not sure if its correct or not cause it shows the rear shocks the same color and I think my 49-59 illustration and text catalog says the shocks were black. So I dont know I am just curious.

Last edited by Rusty_S; 05-01-2009 at 09:13 AM. Reason: Question Added
Old 05-05-2009, 06:50 AM
scrape
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
well i finally found a good sample colour that i'm having matched it appears to b a light aqua colour that is more blue than green, with a washed out version for the valley, although the tappet covers r still throwing me, yanky trucks r much easier to do.

Old 01-16-2011, 11:09 AM
Jim W.
Senior User
'64 292

Wow! This is some thread…

I am working on a ’64 F100 with a 292. After reading the 8 pages here there seems to be agreement on black block. From what I can determine, it had red valve covers, and some agree here, though salf100 says he has an original with blue valve covers. As far as air cleaner, it seems black is fairly agreed upon.

So, as we bring this thread back to life in the New Year of 2011… any care to comment?

Old 01-16-2011, 11:32 AM
Bessie
More Turbo
Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts
I painted mine the same colors I found on it as I did the rebuild. If the widget was red before I cleaned it, it's red now. If the old paint was black, its black now. Just under that newer paint layer of "Ford Blue" from a previous owner, is the original color.

It's a pretty simple process - just pay attention to detail as you go and don't over think it!

Old 01-16-2011, 11:40 AM
Jim W.
Senior User
Hi Brian, In some cases, yes, that is an excellent method. This 292 has 265,000 on it and is likely on it’s second if not third rebuild. It is presently all blue (what little is not covered in grease) and obviously not authentic.

Thanks for your thoughts; and look forward to hearing what folks might know about color(s) on a ’64 292 found in a F100

Jim

Old 01-16-2011, 01:17 PM
Bessie
More Turbo
Jim, that's a good point! If someone is really interested (and I mean really interested) in the orignal colors, they do need to take the time to investigate below the layers of grease and newer paint layers. As I am a hardcore stocker, I do clean and investigate each part rather than power wash the entire engine first, then attempt to find the colors. I strip the engine down part by part (no worries about the tons of grease), wrap the parts in butcher paper and write the color on the paper. Then go back to the parts later to determine if I'm going to reuse them, rebuild, or purchase new parts. If I go with a new part, I have the color reference from the old part.

A word of caution: Some primers found on parts that face the ground (tranny cover, or oil pan for example) are reddish-orange in color and this could lead you to think the part should be red. Again, as you clean and sand, pay close "attention to detail" to know which paint layer you are actually working on.

Media blasters are not a friend to a true paint stocker - "investigate first, then blast away!"

Also, if you have a "special order" truck, the engine colors are likely not standard as well. I have an engine in my garage that was original to a military vehicle - under the Ford blue is the original olive drabe. I also had a truck that was originally a DOT vehicle and of course everything was safety orange in color.

Bottom line: If you want an original color scheme, you most likely have the evidence on the block and parts to determine what is correct, but you need to take it slow and keep a good record of what you find.

If you have an engine that has been rebuilt to the point of all traces of the original paint scheme are gone, then find a guy like me. I can tell you the color for every part of a 1954 F100 239 ci engine built in Deerborne or Cleveland based on my experiences. And yes, the Cleveland engine does have a few parts that are painted differantly from the Deerborne engine, but I have found that each production facility was very consistant with their paints. - ie: The crank vent on a Cleveland 239 engine is red, while is it black on a Deerborne engine.

Throw in the possibility that your current engine was origanlly placed in a sedan at the factory, and of course the paint scheme will not match that of a truck - again, find an annal retentive guy like me that can lead you in the right direction.

Good luck, and happy painting!!

Old 01-16-2011, 01:24 PM
HT32BSX115
Logistics Pro
Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by Bessie
Jim, that's a good point! If someone is really interested (and I mean really interested) in the orignal colors, they do need to take the time to investigate below the layers of grease and newer paint layers. As I am a hardcore stocker, I do clean and investigate each part rather than power wash the entire engine first, then attempt to find the colors. I strip the engine down part by part (no worries about the tons of grease), wrap the parts in butcher paper and write the color on the paper. Then go back to the parts later to determine if I'm going to reuse them, rebuild, or purchase new parts. If I go with a new part, I have the color reference from the old part.

A word of caution: Some primers found on parts that face the ground (tranny cover, or oil pan for example) are reddish-orange in color and this could lead you to think the part should be red. Again, as you clean and sand, pay close "attention to detail" to know which paint layer you are actually working on.

Media blasters are not a friend to a true paint stocker - "investigate first, then blast away!"

Also, if you have a "special order" truck, the engine colors are likely not standard as well. I have an engine in my garage that was original to a military vehicle - under the Ford blue is the original olive drabe. I also had a truck that was originally a DOT vehicle and of course everything was safety orange in color.

Bottom line: If you want an original color scheme, you most likely have the evidence on the block and parts to determine what is correct, but you need to take it slow and keep a good record of what you find.

If you have an engine that has been rebuilt to the point of all traces of the original paint scheme are gone, then find a guy like me. I can tell you the color for every part of a 1954 F100 239 ci engine built in Deerborne or Cleveland based on my experiences. And yes, the Cleveland engine does have a few parts that are painted differantly from the Deerborne engine, but I have found that each production facility was very consistant with their paints. - ie: The crank vent on a Cleveland 239 engine is red, while is it black on a Deerborne engine.

Throw in the possibility that your current engine was origanlly placed in a sedan at the factory, and of course the paint scheme will not match that of a truck - again, find an annal retentive guy like me that can lead you in the right direction.

Good luck, and happy painting!!

I'm doing yellow for my F600. My choices are Caterpillar Yellow and John Deere Yellow.......which is closer to Ford Yellow? (or should I care?)

Old 01-16-2011, 02:01 PM
Bessie
More Turbo
John Deere is closer, but it is not very close! Look for a more pale yellow if you want closer to original. On the other hand, I love DJ green and yellow!

Old 01-16-2011, 02:43 PM
HT32BSX115
Logistics Pro
Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by Bessie
John Deere is closer, but it is not very close! Look for a more pale yellow if you want closer to original. On the other hand, I love DJ green and yellow!

Yeah. I thought I'd stick with the JD yellow. I don't think anything will be green though. (my brake backing plates are JD green though!!)

Old 01-16-2011, 04:22 PM
Jim W.
Senior User
Brian wrote “…find a guy like me. I can tell you the color for every part of a 1954 F100 239 ci engine…”

Hi Brian, excellent advice and very interesting information about the ’54 F100 239 engine colors. I have some restoration work under may belt and couldn’t agree more about a careful examination of existing pieces. I have looked at this engine and see little hope that any of the original finish has survived the two to three chemical vattings this mill experienced during overhauls.

Wanted: information from folks like Brian that know what colors were used for sure on the 1964 F100 292

Thanks!

Old 01-18-2011, 10:10 PM
Jim W.
Senior User
Anyone at all know the answer?

Old 01-18-2011, 11:23 PM
46yblock
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I cant help on the '64 colors, even though I have taken apart many. Just didnt care about the color.

But...Brian, do you know what the intake manifold color was on the '54 Merc 256 with 4V carb?

Quick Reply: How to properly color a Y-block?