How to properly color a Y-block?

Old 12-15-2011, 08:56 AM
Bud White
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does anyone then know for sure the engine color scheme on a 1955 F-100 239 engine and transmission, automatic? I'm trying to resore as original stock as possible. A manufactor and color # would be great if known. I'm a novice at this.
Thanks, Bud

Old 12-15-2011, 09:39 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,597 Likes on 1,443 Posts
Originally Posted by Bud White
Does anyone then know for sure the engine color scheme on a 1955 F-100 239 engine and transmission, automatic? I'm trying to resore as original stock as possible. A manufactor and color # would be great if known. I'm a novice at this.
Thanks, Bud
Go back and look at posts #153 and 174. 153 is a pic of a rebuilt engine and #174 is a copy of a '56 color dealer brochure. 1955 engines were painted the same as 1955: Yellow block with black accessories and argent (silver) valve covers.

Old 12-16-2011, 08:34 AM
Bud White
New User
1955 Y Block Colors

Thanks for the tips. Where can I get the manufactuer and color nimber of the yeallow and sliver?

Old 01-05-2012, 07:11 PM
vincenteer
New User
I have found that a suitable source for "argent" (Latin for "silver") is Rustoleum "Matte Nickle". While powdercoating is probably the best way to go, per the earlier poster with the great pictures, a rattle can will get you going right now. It also looks good on bumpers, mirrors, and dogdish hubcaps.

Old 01-05-2012, 08:56 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Originally Posted by vincenteer
I have found that a suitable source for "argent" (Latin for "silver") is Rustoleum "Matte Nickle". While powdercoating is probably the best way to go, per the earlier poster with the great pictures, a rattle can will get you going right now. It also looks good on bumpers, mirrors, and dogdish hubcaps.
On the 53-56 trucks that silver is used a lot in the interior: kick panel trim pieces, the bezel around the instrument panel, the hinges on the glove box, the trim on the cheap heater, the inside mirror, the cowl vent handle...

I used it a lot. Duplicolor made an argent in a rattle can that was an exact match.

Old 01-06-2012, 09:38 AM
Bud White
New User
Y Block 50's colors

Thanks for the input. I cannot find a maker of the yellow engine color, only a close substitute of John Deere yellow or School Bus yellow. Any ideas of sources for the engine yellow of the 50's? What was the color of the tranmissions for the 1955 F100? Thanks in advance. Bud

Old 01-06-2012, 09:51 AM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 242 Likes on 152 Posts
Consensus among many that Dupli-Color engine enamel, Daytona Yellow is a good match. Duplicolor #DE1642. I picked mine up at Advance Auto Parts. I have the first coat on my engine, perhaps will post a picture before I drop the engine in. Depending on transmission, I doubt if painted. My T98 shows no signs of paint, definitely not the yellow of the bellhousing and engine.

Old 01-06-2012, 09:54 AM
Bud White
New User
Y Block engine transmission color

Thanks for the Daytona Yeoow tip. Do you know the transmission color?

Old 01-06-2012, 10:02 AM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Bud, see my edit of my above post.

Old 01-06-2012, 10:44 AM
Bud White
New User
Y Block Colors

Do you have a Duplicolor number for the argent silver?

Old 01-06-2012, 11:01 AM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Bud, I am going to go with the Argent I've had on hand for a while, ordered from one of the on line Ford truck parts suppliers, don't remember which. It is Seymour brand, their # 16395 and the supplier's # T-19000-1.

Old 01-10-2012, 12:13 PM
Earl
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Hi Fellas - Great discussion!

Hi guys and gals. Haven't been on the forum for a long time due to health issues but I decided I would take a peek today and ran across this thread.

There is a lot of really good info here and I think there are a few reasons for much of the confusion. Someone kindly mentioned early in the thread that I had done some research into the engine color issues and I did, indeed, spend considerable time about eight years ago trying to find the "right" answer for my 1956 272 as well as the rest of the 1948-1960 engine lineup. Unfortunately, I came to the conclusion that there are several "right" answers. Most of the info I collected is available here: http://www.clubfte.com/users/earl/index.html

I used about ten different sources including the Ford research folks and a 90-year old friend (now deceased) who worked at the Ford engine plant in Dearborn from 1946 through 1984 as a line engineer and then a supervising engineer. I was never able to put together a definitive table of all the "right" colors for each Y-block for each year. Some of the reasons are:

1. Ford dealer brochures are illustrations and are often correct, but sometimes contain artistic license in the way the trucks are pictured. For example, hub caps are shown on some of the big trucks when that option was never available - even in the aftermarket. There are also apparently a few brochures for the 1952 through 1954 trucks showing a light red trim color that was actually never used in production. I haven't gotten my hands on one of these rarities, but I was contacted by someone who has one. There are other discrepancies as well so keep that in mind.

2. As some of you have mentioned, Ford had some supply problems in 1958 and substituted a few 312s for the 292 engines during the changeover from the 272. The plant engineer was very clear that they had other engine supply problems in other years as well and actually used blocks made in both Australia (production starting in 1955) and Brazil (production beginning in 1958). He was also very clear that the colors for these engines were NOT the same as those made in other plants although he could not recall the exact details. I am surprised they would ship engines that far but the guy was sharp as a tack and his recall seemed pretty detailed.

3. The Ford history folks indicated that it was not uncommon for Ford to use different paint colors for engines and other non-body/trim parts - especially near the end of a production year. Henry was famous for pinching a penny and if a plant ran out of whatever color they were using, their buyer might very well get the excess from another plant or simply buy whatever color they could get cheapest at the time. The plant engineer confirmed this as he remembered getting chewed out big time for messing up the color changeover in 1954 and forcing a shut-down of production for an hour.

4. Ford sold this engine series for industrial applications although I was not able to find anyone who actually worked in that division. From 1955 through the late sixties, ALL of those engines were red - block, manifold, oil pan, air cleaner, everything. I'll see if I can find my note indicating who has the literature for the industrial engines and post it if I can locate it. Some of these industrial engines may have been used in short-supply years although I have no direct evidence that they were. Sorry.

I really wish I could add some useful info, but I can only add more confusion. If you look through the Earl's World link above you'll find the colors I thought were "most correct" for my 1956 272 MD. I think you can use any of the colors that have good documentation in this and other threads and still say your engine is "correct". Have fun whatever you decide to do with your project!

Old 01-10-2012, 12:41 PM
black58
Elder User
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Earl, it's nice to hear from you.

Old 01-10-2012, 05:23 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

George, it is great to hear from you! I hope you check back again soon. I pray your health issues are better! Hopefully we will see you on the 48-56 page soon. Did you see the separated the refrigerator trucks from the fat fendered!

Abe

Old 01-10-2012, 09:55 PM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Received 754 Likes on 368 Posts
George, I saw your post and had to look at the date several times. It's good to hear from you. Your knowledge and Earl's World has been a great help to my build. Come visit more often.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How to properly color a Y-block?